Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

I posted the same news from the same source. Since then, I discovered it was incorrect. My apologies are extended.

"Duncan remained in critical condition, Wendell Watson, spokesman for Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, said on Sunday"

"Nebraska Medical Center spokesman Taylor Wilson would only identify the patient as a male U.S. citizen expected to arrive on Monday. But the father of Ashoka Mukpo, a freelance cameraman working for NBC News who contracted Ebola in Liberia, told Reuters on Friday that his son was going to Nebraska for treatment.

The Nebraska hospital last month also treated and released, Dr. Rick Sacra, an American missionary who also contracted Ebola in Liberia."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/05/us-health-ebola-usa-idUSKCN0HT0MZ20141005

"A patient with Ebola-like symptoms is being tested for the deadly virus at a Delaware hospital, Fox News confirmed Sunday.

A nurse at Bayhealth Kent General Hospital in Dover confirmed to Fox News that a patient exhibiting Ebola symptoms has been placed in isolation in the hospital and is being tested for the deadly virus, but did not give any more detail."

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...-who-had-possible-contact-with-ebola-patient/

Boy the Troh/Jallah family just doesn't get it:
&#8220;We want him to live,&#8221; said Mawhen Jallah, 28, the daughter of Duncan&#8217;s girlfriend, Louise Troh. &#8220;So we want the drug the other people used to get saved if they have it.&#8221;<snip>&#8220;This whole Ebola thing &#8212; this virus is tearing people apart,&#8221; Jallah said. &#8220;Since the whole thing occurred, nobody has come to visit.&#8221;<snip>Although CDC officials have cleared her, saying it is unlikely she contracted Ebola when she visited her mother&#8217;s apartment last week to welcome the man she calls her stepfather, she said she has been shunned.<snip>
Mawhen Jallah, who lives several miles from her sister, said that last week her daughter&#8217;s babysitter, a friend, called to demand that she remove the 2-year-old girl from her home day care.
&#8220;My friend said, &#8216;I don&#8217;t want for your daughter to be here until everything is over,&#8217;&#8201;&#8221; Mawhen said. &#8220;That broke my heart. But I cannot do anything, because I know everybody is afraid.&#8221;
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c8b2ac-4cc7-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

They would know the country of origin because foreign travelers must have a PASSPORT and a VISA!

Of course that means that Americans could fly to other countries and then catch a plane to West Africa and return without stating where they have been (as could folks from other non-infected countries) but the likelihood of that happening is far far lower, most folks wouldn't dream of doing that unless they were on official business and then they have no need to lie about it.

Plus they could check the person's passport to see where they have been recently!

A few countries in the Middle East (Iran, Syria, etc...) will not allow folks that have visited Israel to enter, they DO check the passport for Israeli stamps before issuing a visa; if they have any doubt they check again upon entry, if your passport has an Israeli stamp your visa is cancelled and you are denied entry. I visited Iran several years ago and they have strict policies regarding such things.

I'm pretty sure you need a Visa to enter most West African countries. I lived north of Senegal over 30 years ago and needed a Visa for both countries (landed first in Senegal). As you mentioned your passport would be stamped on entry and exit as an American. If you had traveled recently and were returning to the USA, passport control would probably leaf through your passport for visas and recent stamps.

Imo they are just getting silly admitting everyone - media is, IMO, spreading fear ............

How many admits are we up to in the last 72 hours I have lost count!
==================================================================

Child Tested For Possible Ebola In Delaware

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/10/05/child-tested-for-possible-ebola-in-delaware/

=========================================================

Eppley Airfield says Ebola patient arrival will be handled away from public areas. Airport says patient will arrive Monday at 8:30 a.m

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/health/eppley-airfield-says-ebola-patient-arrival-will-be-handled-away-from-public-areas/28962460#ixzz3FKFc3VzW

=================================================================

US health officials say they are opposed to placing ban on travelers from Ebola-infected countries - @NBCNews

==================================================================

Officials: Precautions being taken after sick child reportedly from West Africa is taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami; doctors say it's unlikely child has Ebola - @CBSMiami

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/10/05/miami-beach-mayor-sick-child-likely-does-not-have-ebola/

===================================================================
Dallas, TX, US

Authorities say they've located a homeless man who needs to be monitored because he may have had contact with US Ebola patient - @AP

The ambulance that took the patient to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has been quarantined, although officials did not elaborate on what that meant. (LM Otero/The Associated Press)

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/...o-rode-in-ambulance-after-ebola-patient.html/

=======================================================================

Doctors don't suspect a recurrence of Ebola in Massachusetts doctor who was hospitalized with a cough and conjunctivitis - @AP

Also....

Muffet-Your writing is terrific!

As are your notions!!

OK, feel free to skip this, since haven't been and don't care to go through the WS expert qualification process, but I'm sticking with opinion or things you can find through Google (as with my last post).

So... As a personal commentary and suggestion, I will say this much:

Watch out for polarization - be it here, in the media, press conferences, and yes, even with your health care workers.

It's human nature to respond to an overstatement with another overstatement intended to balance. But intent notwithstanding, by their very nature, such responses are not themselves balanced or objective truths.

That leads to misunderstandings, misinformation, and lack of trust. That's not a life or death problem with most issues, but it can be with this one.

On one side, overstatements of current risks, over-pessimism, or talking about bunkering in right now are unnecessary, and worse, motivate officials and some in the medical field to understate the risk, because a panicking population could ultimately cause more problems than the virus.

On the other hand, understatements of risks or overstatements of abilities, meant to soothe fears and reduce panic are also dangerous.
People who have seen or experienced things that prove otherwise feel patronized, less trusting, and panic more.

Other people will take understatements of risk at face value, thus putting us all at more risk by not taking precautions.

So my message is that we will all be safer if both sides will keep this balance in mind. Research and employ critical thinking and analysis to our observations of current and past events and practices, in context.

The media (MSM and not) is guilty of both scaremongering and such dangerous patronizing.

The WHO and CDC lost trust by sending conflicting messages between professionals and the public they fear will panic. (e.g., the comparison to AIDS by the CDC head. :doh:)

A healthcare professional's reliability as a source can only be judged individually, as it depends on their personal experience, work experience, education, specialty, and diligence.

Infection control is only as good as its weakest link, and our history and current problems with unnecessary iatrogenic infections (e.g., MRSA) prove that we still have unacceptable # of weak links.

Our true risks from ebola here are yet to be determined. We will learn vital information in the coming weeks and months.

Until then, we can only be trusted by being honest about what we know and don't know, and facing our weak points.

A few will panic, no matter what. Others will have agendas. The bald truth still wins, because most people are pretty good at either observing and interpreting events or trusting those who earn their trust.

It never hurts for people to step up on preparedness and precautions. How high depends on a variety of factors that might be discussed.

Everyone should read up on droplet precautions and decontamination protocols. The CDC and many universities have helpful papers. The virus is easy to kill with over the counter products you can use at home and when in public.

Don't fret about worst possible outcomes or things you can't control. Stress lowers your immune system. ;)

:twocents:

OK, feel free to skip this, since I haven't been and don't care to go through the WS expert qualification process, but I'm sticking with opinion or things you can find through Google (as with my last post).

So... As a personal commentary and suggestion, I will say this much:

Watch out for polarization - be it here, in the media, press conferences, and yes, even with your health care workers.

It's human nature to respond to an overstatement with another overstatement intended to balance. But intent notwithstanding, by their very nature, such responses are not themselves balanced or objective truths.

That leads to misunderstandings, misinformation, and lack of trust. That's not a life or death problem with most issues, but it can be with this one.

On one side, overstatements of current risks, over-pessimism, or talking about bunkering in right now are unnecessary, and worse, motivate officials and some in the medical field to understate the risk, because a panicking population could ultimately cause more problems than the virus.

On the other hand, understatements of risks or overstatements of abilities, meant to soothe fears and reduce panic are also dangerous.
People who have seen or experienced things that prove otherwise feel patronized, less trusting, and panic more.

Other people will take understatements of risk at face value, thus putting us all at more risk by not taking precautions.

So my message is that we will all be safer if both sides will keep this balance in mind. Research and employ critical thinking and analysis to our observations of current and past events and practices, in context.

The media (MSM and not) is guilty of both scaremongering and such dangerous patronizing.

The WHO and CDC lost trust by sending conflicting messages between professionals and the public they fear will panic. (e.g., the comparison to AIDS by the CDC head. :doh:)

A healthcare professional's reliability as a source can only be judged individually, as it depends on their personal experience, work experience, education, specialty, and diligence.

Infection control is only as good as its weakest link, and our history and current problems with unnecessary iatrogenic infections (e.g., MRSA) prove that we still have unacceptable # of weak links.

Our true risks from ebola here are yet to be determined. We will learn vital information in the coming weeks and months.

Until then, we can only be trusted by being honest about what we know and don't know, and facing our weak points.

A few will panic, no matter what. Others will have agendas. The bald truth still wins, because most people are pretty good at either observing and interpreting events or trusting those who earn their trust.

It never hurts for people to step up on preparedness and precautions. How high depends on a variety of factors that might be discussed.

Everyone should read up on droplet precautions and decontamination protocols. The CDC and many universities have helpful papers. The virus is easy to kill with over the counter products you can use at home and when in public.

Don't fret about worst possible outcomes or things you can't control. Stress lowers your immune system. ;)

:twocents:

Thank you is not enough!! I think this post is one of the best I've ever seen!! Personally, I have very little trust in the CDC & Dallas officials because of the conflicting information. If they would just be truthful I think the general public could handle it.

Boy the Troh/Jallah family just doesn't get it:
“We want him to live,” said Mawhen Jallah, 28, the daughter of Duncan’s girlfriend, Louise Troh. “So we want the drug the other people used to get saved if they have it.”<snip>“This whole Ebola thing — this virus is tearing people apart,” Jallah said. “Since the whole thing occurred, nobody has come to visit.”<snip>Although CDC officials have cleared her, saying it is unlikely she contracted Ebola when she visited her mother’s apartment last week to welcome the man she calls her stepfather, she said she has been shunned.<snip>
Mawhen Jallah, who lives several miles from her sister, said that last week her daughter’s babysitter, a friend, called to demand that she remove the 2-year-old girl from her home day care.
“My friend said, ‘I don’t want for your daughter to be here until everything is over,’&#8201;” Mawhen said. “That broke my heart. But I cannot do anything, because I know everybody is afraid.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c8b2ac-4cc7-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

Until it's been 21 days, I wouldn't consider this woman "cleared". She may have sat down on any of the mattresses he sweated on in the apartment and could have exposed her 2-year-old as well. She only wants to socialize and possibly spread the virus.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I can't believe she's shocked Noone has come to visit.. Wtf
And I would say she is far from cleared.

Until it's been 21 days, I wouldn't consider this woman "cleared". She may have sat down on any of the mattresses he sweated on in the apartment and could have exposed her 2-year-old as well. She only wants to socialize and possibly spread the virus.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Jallah said she did not touch Duncan when she greeted him. She said he was sitting in a chair as she said hello from the door of her mother&#8217;s bedroom.

Either WaPo has it wrong or ...

I thought she put her arms around him and he was shaking so she went and got him a blanket at Walmart? I could swear I read that somewhere

I thought she put her arms around him and he was shaking so she went and got him a blanket at Walmart? I could swear I read that somewhere
There are two daughters. There is Youngor (sp?) and Mawhen. Youngor I think is the one that brought the blanket, sprayed the clorox, etc.

I think, I hope this case was the steep learning curve for the USA. What could go wrong was played out in front of us, not in secret.
I also think, but do not know, that since treatment given to him is only supportive treatment, that the 2 days in which Duncan was sent home does not affect the outcome of his illness or the course of his disease. He was not critically ill at the time of his first ER visit nor at the time of his ambulance admission, but in serious condition.

Hemolytic complications affect the kidneys very severely, as well as the respiratory system. IF they can stop the bleeding caused from endotoxins and also keep his blood from clotting from the same endotoxins, then he can be on hemodialysis and have ventilator support for as long as recovery takes.

Or, his heart may fail, and he will succomb to the disease. He is in the 4th stage of the illness. Dr. Brantley, who was treated at Emory, and his female co-worker never got to this stage or they likely would not have had the extremely good outcome that they had.

I can't believe she's shocked Noone has come to visit.. Wtf
And I would say she is far from cleared.

Exactly. Look at Duncan himself. Parents of the woman that died apparently didn't tell neighbors she had ebola.
So people did visit, and it spread and already her brother is dead, her parents also apparently got it, her neighbor died, and Duncan himself is apparently close to death.

Child Tested For Possible Ebola In Delaware

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/10/05/child-tested-for-possible-ebola-in-delaware/

Imo they are just getting silly admitting everyone - media is, IMO, spreading fear

How many admits are we up to in the last 72 hours I have lost count!

Eppley Airfield says Ebola patient arrival will be handled away from public areas

Airport says patient will arrive Monday at 8:30 a.m

Also....

Muffet-Your writing is terrific!

As are your notions!!
And they don't even bother writing " Possible' Or " Suspected'' or "flu like'' before saying EBOLA PATIENT. That's just irresponsible journalism.

I know I can't link the site, but breitbart front page has a story that a complaint was filed with Texas Department of Family and Protective Services because Judge Clay Jenkins kept going into the apartment where the Ebola patient lived.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2014...-keep-ebola-away-fight-it-in-africa/16776711/

''Frieden stressed the importance of keeping the travel pipeline open to Ebola-stricken countries in order to fight the outbreak at its source.

"If we don't control the outbreak, there's a real risk that it could spread to other countries in Africa'' and beyond, Frieden said. "To do that, we need regular travel.''''

I do not understand . There was an article earlier today ( i think i posted it ) saying basically the same thing. How does " regular travel" combat it at the source? They just say we need regular travel and that will help and a travel ban will not but do not say HOW a travel ban will HELP the fight at the source. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here. How are the two statement connected? Fighting at the source and keeping open travel ?

ETA , Ok, I just re read this and maybe he's only talking about travel IN to the country and yes I can see they need personnel . But I , and many others, am concerned about travel OUT of the country.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2014...-keep-ebola-away-fight-it-in-africa/16776711/

''Frieden stressed the importance of keeping the travel pipeline open to Ebola-stricken countries in order to fight the outbreak at its source.

"If we don't control the outbreak, there's a real risk that it could spread to other countries in Africa'' and beyond, Frieden said. "To do that, we need regular travel.''''

I do not understand . There was an article earlier today ( i think i posted it ) saying basically the same thing. How does " regular travel" combat it at the source? They just say we need regular travel and that will help and a travel ban will not but do not say HOW a travel ban will HELP the fight at the source. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here. How are the two statement connected? Fighting at the source and keeping open travel ?

Use military planes. Friedman is sounding not so smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416