DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T
Just had to share

A truly heartbreaking 2 minutes

Andy Waller speaks about his son, Eli, who died of enterovirus-68 on Sept. 25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTylGJcrME

Oh my. I've read about Eli, but that was heartbreaking. When he said Eli was the kind of kid that nothing came easily to, I nearly lost it, my oldest kid was/is the same way. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have to hop in here with this little bit of information. This has happened to me before & I do NOT understand the problem. There are some posts that I want to post 'Thanks' on & for some reason my computer will not let me. Anyway, to those of you who have read my posts & seen my 'thanks' on other posts, please know that I tried to thank you but was unable to do so.

When it happens, click on the post number in the person's post that you want to thank (for example, your post would be post #361 as long as none before it get deleted). Doing that will refresh your page and then allow you to hit the "thanks" button.

The abx script really makes me think they just wanted this guy gone from the ER. Every time I've taken one of my four kids on with a high fever (highest being 105, and I don't scare easy but that had me on edge) they do NOT run a CAT scan and send them home with abx. It's always run some blood tests, get the fever down a bum it and monitor them an hour or so, push fluids, then say it's viral. No scripts given. Go home and follow the usual tepid baths/fever reducer for comfort if necessary/push more fluids, wait it out.

IME having worked in healthcare settings docs WILL often give a script for amoxicillin and send the patient home. It makes the patient feel like something has been done and gives them something concrete they can do to feel like they will get better. Most times, the patient will not be back - not because the abx worked, but because whatever virus it is will have just run it's course naturally.

What perplexes me so much is the reliance on the patient for 100% accurate info when taking history. Anyone with any experience at all knows that patients are not always forthcoming about every detail. So even though Duncan supposedly said he did not have contact with anyone who was sick, he DID disclose that he had recently arrived from Liberia/west Africa. That plus the fever should have had him isolated immediately. That they did not tells me that this hospital/health district has NOT been paying attention to CDC bulletins and preparing for the inevitable. That they sent him home with antibiotics tells me they were tryin to get him out the door and betting (and 9/10 times they'd have been right) that he wouldn't return.

That, according to some reports, they have him a cat scan, is just odd. :ohoh:

He was afebrile upon presentation. And they gave him CT scans plural

Just have to hop in here with this little bit of information. This has happened to me before & I do NOT understand the problem. There are some posts that I want to post 'Thanks' on & for some reason my computer will not let me. Anyway, to those of you who have read my posts & seen my 'thanks' on other posts, please know that I tried to thank you but was unable to do so.

For me, it happens right after I post--the thank you box disappears. I just refresh the page and it comes back.

I've read his fever was 103 at the first visit?

Yes - I believe someone posted a link to an article mentioning that his ER notes had been released. They confirmed that he was provided with antibiotics and Tylenol and discharged with a temperature of 103.

Thank you to everyone who gave me info about handling the 'thank you' problem I've been having.

Then I'll just reiterate that fever + the travel history he disclosed should have been enough of an alarm.

I'll give you that the hospital and Eric Duncan were equally at fault. And it doesn't matter anyways because according to the malpractice experts, there is no case here.

I'll give you that the hospital and Eric Duncan were equally at fault. And it doesn't matter anyways because according to the malpractice experts, there is no case here.

Can you give me a link to those malpractice experts?

I've read his fever was 103 at the first visit?

I have just scanned this AP article: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d077...d57/ebola-patient-arrived-er-103-degree-fever

SStar33 is correct that he was afrebrile when he arrived, but his temperature had gone up to 103 warranting an exclamation mark in his medical record by the time he was discharged, he had told them he had come from West Africa and he had sharp stomach pains and a banging headache (8 out of 10 on a pain scale of 1-10).

That really should have been enough to at least put him into the "this one needs admitting and investigating" group.

There was no indication in the paperwork that he was asked any follow-up questions about his travels.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had alerted hospitals nationwide to take a travel history for patients with Ebola-like symptoms.

The hospital said it had made changes to its intake process and other practices "to better screen for all critical indicators" of Ebola.

I have just scanned this AP article: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d077...d57/ebola-patient-arrived-er-103-degree-fever

SStar33 is correct that he was afrebrile when he arrived, but his temperature had gone up to 103 warranting an exclamation mark in his medical record by the time he was discharged, he had told them he had come from West Africa and he had sharp stomach pains and a banging headache (8 out of 10 on a pain scale of 1-10).

That really should have been enough to at least put him into the "this one needs admitting and investigating" group.

I will defer to physicians who have read the entire record on that point.

What rule in or rule outs would be like a CAT scan as it relates to fever - I am trying imagine something would something wrong with ones brain result in fever? TIA

Does this not sound peculiar - as a note in chart :

Adalja said. A chart showed Duncan did not arrive with a fever but left with one.

In fours hours (?) went from normal to 103 or am I missing something???

Thanx for link below

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d077...atient-arrived-er-103-degree-feverinteresting article!!

Would it be illigal to cremate someone without contsent??? Seems like Hippa might have a thing to say about that, no?

Dallas Ebola victim's belongings burned in Port Arthur, Texas - @AP

Read more on chron.com

Oh and that huge font post I could not get to change but thoufht it was interesting info !

From the article:

Seth Chandler, a professor and director of the Health Law and Policy Institute at the University of Houston Law Center, said anyone suing on behalf of Duncan may also have a hard time proving causation. Because Ebola is so deadly, he said, a few days' delay in Duncan's diagnosis may not have made a difference in how he fared. "It's not like we have a magic cure for Ebola," he said.

This guy might be a lawyer, but medical expert he is not. The earlier Ebola patients are seen, the more likely their survival. "A few days" in the course of a virus could absolutely make a huge difference in how he fared.

Aside from that - I am so glad I do not live in Texas. I am not sure how any consumer of any product - health, food, whatever - could ever hope to redress wrongs with laws so stacked in favor of business over the individual.

What rule in or rule outs would be like a CAT scan as it relates to fever - I am trying imagine something would something wrong with ones brain result in fever? TIA

Does this not sound peculiar - as a note in chart :

Adalja said. A chart showed Duncan did not arrive with a fever but left with one.

In fours hours (?) went from normal to 103 or am I missing something???

Thanx for link below

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d077...atient-arrived-er-103-degree-feverinteresting article!!

Would it be illigal to cremate someone without contsent??? Seems like Hippa might have a thing to say about that, no?

Oh and that huge font post I could not get to change but thoufht it was interesting info !

I'm also curious as to what they were looking for with the CT - med professionals, any opinions? I know he indicated high abdominal pain (8/10), but what would they have been looking for? Only thing I can think of would be stones/kidney issues (but wouldn't that be more characterized as flank pain rather than abdominal??).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members