Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:

This guy might be a lawyer, but medical expert he is not. The earlier Ebola patients are seen, the more likely their survival. "A few days" in the course of a virus could absolutely make a huge difference in how he fared.

Aside from that - I am so glad I do not live in Texas. I am not sure how any consumer of any product - health, food, whatever - could ever hope to redress wrongs with laws so stacked in favor of business over the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM I thought that was pretty much every state in the USA

I'm also curious as to what they were looking for with the CT - med professionals, any opinions? I know he indicated high abdominal pain (8/10), but what would they have been looking for? Only thing I can think of would be stones/kidney issues (but wouldn't that be more characterized as flank pain rather than abdominal??).

They said they were R/O appendecitis, stroke etc... Oh, and it looks like he was afebrile when he left:

...an emergency room physician’s note dated Sept. 26 that said Mr. Duncan was “negative for fever and chills.” The note read: “I have given patient instructions regarding their diagnosis, expectations for the next couple of days, and specific return precautions. The condition of the patient at this time is stable.”

What an interesting article! The professionals putting their lives at risk to treat these sick patients are so admirable. I'm glad we live in a world where human kindness still trumps fear and selfishness.

If you liked that, here is another great one that I read tonight:

http://dailypost.ng/2014/09/15/ebol...ted-patrick-sawyer-survives-tells-full-story/

It is written by one of the docs who got ebola after treating Patrick Sawyer. Horrible experience. Hydration is the key to recovery

I'm also curious as to what they were looking for with the CT - med professionals, any opinions? I know he indicated high abdominal pain (8/10), but what would they have been looking for? Only thing I can think of would be stones/kidney issues (but wouldn't that be more characterized as flank pain rather than abdominal??).

I've been mulling this over as well. Here is an interesting link specific to abd. CT scan. Without knowing exactly what he told the Dr, it really is a shot in the dark.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003789.htm

This test may be used to look for:

Cause of abdominal pain or swelling
Hernia
Cause of a fever
Masses and tumors, including cancer
Infections or injury
Kidney stones
Appendicitis

Much more info at the link.

A nurses perspective on ebola.. I hope it's OK to post if not please delete.. Very good read.

I read that earlier. I wasn't sure if we could post it either. I agree, good read. :eek:

I read that earlier. I wasn't sure if we could post it either. I agree, good read.

I didn't know either but it is a good look at what ebola does etc.. Hope it doesn't get deleted

:(

Acknowledging a major "defeat" in the fight against Ebola, international health officials battling the epidemic in Sierra Leone approved plans Friday to help families treat patients at home

"It's basically admitting defeat," said Dr. Peter H. Kilmarx, the leader of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's team in Sierra Leone, adding that it was "now national policy that we should take care of these people at home."

"For the clinicians it's admitting failure, but we are responding to the need," Kilmarx said. "There are hundreds of people with Ebola that we are not able to bring into a facility."

"You push some Tylenol to them and back away," Kilmarx said, describing its obvious limits.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...one-shifts-tactics-in-Ebola-fight-5815527.php

Australia will not send health workers to Ebola outbreak zones until their welfare can be guaranteed.

“I do not have in place a guarantee that should an Australian health worker – sent there by the Australian government – contract Ebola, they would be able to be transported or treated in a hospital either in the region or in Europe,” Bishop told reporters in Launceston on Saturday.

“And until I have that in place we will not be sending Australian health workers.”

The Australian government has contributed $18m for equipment and supplies in west Africa since the Ebola outbreak.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/11/australia-says-too-risky-to-send-health-workers-ebola

From the article:

This guy might be a lawyer, but medical expert he is not. The earlier Ebola patients are seen, the more likely their survival. "A few days" in the course of a virus could absolutely make a huge difference in how he fared.

Aside from that - I am so glad I do not live in Texas. I am not sure how any consumer of any product - health, food, whatever - could ever hope to redress wrongs with laws so stacked in favor of business over the individual.

Even if they recognized his disease as Ebola the first time he came to the hospital, that doesn't guarantee he would have survived.
There are no approved drugs, only experimental ones. Doctors don't have any actual evidence that any of these drugs actually work.
ZMapp is no longer available.

Looks like Canada might be preparing for a ban:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ebo...-african-countries-advised-to-leave-1.2795808

Ebola outbreak: Canadians in 3 West African countries advised to leave

Travellers returning from there will have to be examined by a quarantine officer

The Canadian Press Posted: Oct 10, 2014 8:19 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 10, 2014 8:19 PM ET

"Today we are asking Canadians living in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia to consider leaving by commercial means while they are still available," Ambrosa said in Edmonton Friday.

I don't know if this has been posted already or not, but I just found this out from a friend.
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...ncy-Over-Ebola-as-a-Precaution-278378881.html

So glad to hear - this is the legal process that needs to be put in place IMHO. Finally a governor has done such. I hope that other states will follow. Many assumed, incorrectly imho, that CDC was the legal agency and putting blame on the..... hope that other governors will learn from this.

To take from above post...as I know that many may be on smart phones and hard to jump to internet to read....

Governor Declares Cautionary Public Health Emergency Over EbolaMalloy signed an order declaring the emergency on Tuesday, giving the commissioner of the state Department of Public Health the authority to quarantine and isolate people whom the commissioner "reasonably believes has been exposed to the Ebola virus."......Without the declaration of emergency, officials have no statewide ability to isolate or quarantine people who might have been exposed or infected. Instead, each individual local public health director would have the authority, according to the governor's office.

Just a hard core reality....

I keep seeing online like different countries talking "taking" be the key word ! The leaders all know it cant be done. It is just a fact of life - we all live in a global economy. IMO global is key here too! Nn nation, IMO can survive any longer by itslef and isolated - its about money and IMO it is easy for big wigs to be "talking" about all this but deep down they know it cant be done just think if we closed off china Wal Mart (hapily) would be history in two months !!!!

Middle east - were walking to the store!

we think we are slef sufficent but we are one really, really not

n 2013, total U.S. trade with foreign countries was $5.02 trillion. This consisted of $2.272 trillion in exports and $2.744 trillion in imports of both goods and services. This makes the U.S. the world's third largest exporter, after the European Union (EU) and China, and the world's second largest importer, after the EU. (Source: U.S. Census, U.S. Trade in Goods and Services, 2013; CIA World Factbook World Rankings) What Does the U.S. Export?
Material goods contribute more than two-thirds of U.S. exports ($1.579 trillion). One-third of them are capital goods ($527 billion). The largest sub-categories are commercial aircraft ($54 billion), industrial machines ($49 billion), and semiconductors ($43 billion). Three other important sub-categories are telecommunications ($40 billion), electric apparatus ($40 billion) and medical equipment ($34 billion).

http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradepolicy/p/Imports-Exports-Components.htm

aint gonna happen .......................casue it cant happen

And with reality they should be rolling out PSA after PSA, pamphlets buttons all the marketstuff to edcuate the population--education is the biggest key IMO to do something meaningful, doable and hopefully precent the classic knee jerk stuff that flops anywayIMO

"Journalists are no longer allowed to enter ETUs. These journalists enter the ETUs and cross red lines," Jackson, the deputy information minister, told listeners to commercial station Sky FM

The minister said he would insist that journalists report his statements from now on rather than what they saw for themselves.

Sources from global aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF, Doctors Without Borders), which runs a unit of around 250 beds in Monrovia, said it would be writing to the government to ask to be excluded from the ban.

http://news.yahoo.com/liberia-bans-journalists-ebola-centres-005429176.html

Even if they recognized his disease as Ebola the first time he came to the hospital, that doesn't guarantee he would have survived.
There are no approved drugs, only experimental ones. Doctors don't have any actual evidence that any of these drugs actually work.
ZMapp is no longer available.

I realize all that. But by sending him home, they essentially closed off any chances of survival. Even just good supportive treatment - which isn't always available in the three hardest hit Western Africa countries - can get a patient through.

But he wasn't even given that chance, because he was sent home with Tylenol and a script for abx. :facepalm:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2788334/Ebola-patient-arrived-ER-103-degree-fever.html

When he first showed up at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, the man complained of abdominal pain, dizziness, a headache and decreased urination.

Doctors gave him CT scans to rule out appendicitis, stroke and numerous other serious ailments.

Thanks for that link!

But... :eek:hoh: Those are some varied suspicions! Appendicitis I can see, but stroke? With a fever and abdominal pain??

It sounds like they are throwing every possible outcome into the mix in order to cover themselves? Because I'm sorry, fever, abdominal pain, and recent travel to Africa would not say "stroke" to me.

I mean, they looked for stroke, but not even malaria?? :eek:hoh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members