Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So now there will be more limitations placed on the care any further infected patients will receive? Since intubation and dialysis for Duncan are being blamed for possibly increasing the chances that his healthcare workers were exposed through those means?

If you are dying from Ebola dialysis isn't going to save you.

Top US doctors: Hospital worker infected with Ebola by 'breach in protocol,' changes in handling patients are coming

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ng-first-case-contracted-ebola-was-breach-in/

Frieden announced a five-part plan “to prevent how this occurred from happening again" that includes the number of health care workers treating an Ebola patient being “kept to a minimum” and limiting the number of medical procedures performed on the victim.

He said Duncan was on kidney dialysis and respiratory intubation as “desperate,” life-saving measures.

The plan also includes examining how a health care worker removes protective gear, which Frieden said has “a major potential for risks.”

I can't help but wonder why they plan changing protocol if it was adequate.

IMO, Louise may have had to sign papers before moving into house to stay inside and have no contact with media. Why have her new neighbors not reported or fussed that this family is in their neighborhood? If there were still armed police standing guard outside her house, the neighbors would definitely question and find out what was going on.

Who knows about the daughter? Instead of complaining, this entire family should be thankful every day that one more day has passed and they aren't sick!

Louise has had contact with the media by phone. She's done interviews since his death.

The biosafety levels referred to in that document apply to laboratories where people work with the actual virus/bacteria/microorganism and do not apply to hospitals. The CDC has separate guidelines for hospitals which are available here.

We know that. But patients are full of actual virus, so why different guidelines? Because it's too expensive to equip hospitals with safety level 4 containment suits for Ebola patients?

But yet it was done which disproves some claims that not enough was done for Duncan.

I believe this is probably the result of inadequate training, alongside a lack of preparedness and perhaps improper equipment.

If Nigeria - with it's huge population - can contain ebola, the U.S, UK, rest of Europe, Australia etc. should have no problem in doing so. Nigeria were already in a good position due to their polio eradication initiative, meaning that they were much better organized, even with a poorer health infrastructure. Maybe we should take the lead from them for now.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-d...4/oct/07/nigeria-ebola-experience-teach-world

I'm not so sure I believe Nigeria. Could they keep something like this quiet?

But nothing recently - wasn't the last with Anderson Cooper and that was, what, around the 3rd of the month - is there another phone interview since then?

oops - sorry re: LinasK post #884

Not sure about dialysis, but I did hear the spanish nurse was tubed

I would think if kidneys were failing dialysis would help.. Not one thing will save your life it's a combination of things.. And hope that dialysis machine is no longer being used on other patients

But nothing recently - wasn't the last with Anderson Cooper and that was, what, around the 3rd of the month - is there another phone interview since then?

oops - sorry re: LinasK post #884

Agree - I did not think she had given any interviews since the death.

She released a statement of thanks via her pastor, but I thought the family had asked to be left to grieve in peace after that.

I think a family friend may have given an interview, but I did not think Louse had.

Let's face it - regular hospital isolation does not have the knowledge to treat Ebola. This latest person is a healthcare worker, fly the person to Emory where they know what to do and how to do it.

Stop blaming the nurse for breaking protocol. Something is wrong in your hospital system. The last thing Texas Presbyterian needs is a second Ebola patient to not make it. Should that happen, the hospital will be shutting its doors for good, IMO.

I would think if kidneys were failing dialysis would help.. Not one thing will save your life it's a combination of things.. And hope that dialysis machine is no longer being used on other patients

But if these are high risk procedures for spreading the virus, sounds like cdc is going to recommend for hospitals to not do these procedures.
Hospital carried out high risk procedures for spreading the virus and now nurse is infected (and who knows who else?)

Let's face it - regular hospital isolation does not have the knowledge to treat Ebola. This latest person is a healthcare worker, fly the person to Emory where they know what to do and how to do it.

Stop blaming the nurse for breaking protocol. Something is wrong in your hospital system. The last thing Texas Presbyterian needs is a second Ebola patient to not make it. Should that happen, the hospital will be shutting its doors for good, IMO.

I don't think it' specific to Texas Presbyterian. Only four hospitals in the whole country are equipped to deal with biosafety level 4 virus.
Texas Presbyterian is not one of those hospitals.
So it's not surprising the nurse got infected. I predicted that very same possibility from the very start.

If just your kidneys are failing dialysis will help.

If your kidneys are failing from EBOLA then all of your major organs are failing, including your liver.

I sure do hope they carefully disinfected that dialysis machine.

BRAINTREE (CBS) – Harvard Vanguard Medical Center in Braintree is being evacuated on Sunday afternoon as doctors assess a possible case of Ebola.Braintree fire officials told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 that the clinic is being evacuated after 2 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.
A man who recently traveled to West Africa is being isolated outside the clinic, fire officials told WBZ NewsRadio.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/12/man-with-ebola-like-symptoms-isolated-at-braintree-hospital/

If just your kidneys are failing dialysis will help.

If your kidneys are failing from EBOLA then all of your major organs are failing, including your liver.

I sure do hope they carefully disinfected that dialysis machine.

I hope they aren't using equipment used on Mr. Duncan on anyone else (disinfected or not).

I don't think it' specific to Texas Presbyterian. Only four hospitals in the whole country are equipped to deal with biosafety level 4 virus.
Texas Presbyterian is not one of those hospitals.
So it's not surprising the nurse got infected. I predicted that very same possibility from the very start.
This.
Thank you.

We know that. But patients are full of actual virus, so why different guidelines? Because it's too expensive to equip hospitals with safety level 4 containment suits for Ebola patients?

Or because it is "too expensive" to provide very ACCURATE information and protocols? Even if Level 4 Containment Suits ARE too expensive?

There are grave digging teams in highly infected areas of Africa that have been infection FREE for many weeks, and it is not because of their expensive PPE suits.

I would really like to ask that CDC spokesperson to show us how not-easily-transmitted Ebola is by visiting an infected patient's hospital room in the U.S.

Show us Mr. CDC Spokesperson, so we will all feel so much better about this and realize this is nothing to be concerned about.

Random thoughts this morning:

1. The older I get, the more I realize no good deed goes unpunished.
2. Supposedly this newest case, the healthcare worker, was infected due to a "breach in protocol." So, yes, by all means, let's get to work on some new "protocols". On the same note, supposedly each state can do whatever they want in treating Ebola patients. There's no one "in charge" so to speak. Well show me one state, country, village, etc...that's been successful and let's do what they do! Until then, I'm not believing a dam* thing I hear.
3. The temperature screenings at airports (a new "protocol") are a symbolic gesture, at best. And the problem with that is when symbolic gestures take the place of effective measures, we're all screwed.
4. Until this country lays aside their political correctness and gets people in places of authority with some spine, you will not see positive outcomes, IMO.
5. Finally, let's hope we can get our shi* together regarding this virus before troops start coming home infected, and make no mistake about it, there will be military men and women infected. Or will they even be able to come back for treatment? Who knows what "protocols" will have been developed by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper