Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes... So I think it is pretty safe to say that this has the potential for airborne... Not like across the room airborne maybe, but I certainly wouldn't want to be in the direct vicinity of someone who perhaps has both Ebola *and* the common cold and is sneezing/coughing everywhere.

They are using the technical definition of "airborne" to mislead folks.

The flu spreads often via droplets through the air, but it isn't technically "airborne" since it depends on coughing or sneezing to project that infected droplet of mucus or spit. The virus can't fly around in the air all by itself (although some viruses can), so it isn't technically "airborne".

That obviously does NOT mean that you can't get the flu virus if someone 3 feet away sneezes on you and you get hit with infected specs of mucus, or if they sneeze on an object or use a tissue and you touch that object/tissue while the virus is alive.

The whole thing about "this is NOT airborne" is a bit misleading.

Is this hospital even accepting new patients at this point? I know ER isn't accepting patients.

The ER as announced this morning is on "Ambulance Bypass"..which does NOT mean closed to wallkin patients...I know as I worked in front lines in ER for 18 years...

No, as of this morning they've announced they're not accepting patients.

See above Jeanna~~ I only want to correct the mis-interpretation of what was announce..I watched it, heard it and understood immediately what was said :facepalm:

http://www.dallasnews.com/ebola/hea...atient-no.-2-reacted-to-news-of-infection.ece

Dallas residents on Marquita Avenue awoke Sunday morning to news that a health care worker who lives on their street has Ebola. Some of them found information about the infection on their doorsteps.

Officials announced that a Dallas apartment complex on the block was decontaminated.

Some of the reactions from neighbors compiled from Sunday morning: follow link to read complete story.

Is it possible that Louise had already been exposed to ebola at one time or even has had it at one time so therefore has some immunity? Otherwise I don't see how these folks shouldn't have it..
Unless they had no intimate contact whatsoever which I guess is possible

From your article...I like Mrs. Guerrero:

Guerrero said she was surprised, however, by the errors that the mayor made at the press conference. She said he seemed to be "bumbling." He gave the wrong block number and the wrong time when neighbors were notified.

"If you're going to put that out there, you've got to get the information right," she said. "The information needs to be correct and accurate when you put it out because you say the wrong thing and people are freaking out."

She said she is worried about the woman's dog and its safety. "I would like to know they are not going to make a snap decision and euthanize the dog," she said.

Is it possible that Louise had already been exposed to ebola at one time or even has had it at one time so therefore has some immunity? Otherwise I don't see how these folks shouldn't have it..
Unless they had no intimate contact whatsoever which I guess is possible

I don't understand why people insisting she didn't get infected. Her 21 days are not up yet.

There is a story out there that it was Snyderman who was seen in public. You can google it.

From your article...I like Mrs. Guerrero:

Here too. I will admit though... I think I would rather my dog be euthanized than to become a lab animal. But the thought of either one is very distressing. :crying:

I don't understand why people insisting she didn't get infected. Her 21 days are not up yet.

Well I suppose she still could but we haven't heard anything yet about it so who knows..

Has anyone started stocking the shelves in anticipation of being locked in if this plague gets out of hand? So far, the stupidest thing that has happened is taking sick people to countries that have never had a case of ebola. It is the most irresponsible thing I've seen in my lifetime.

Here ya go:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/12/examining-the-nations-ebola-response/17059283/
by Larry Copeland, USA TODAY 1:18 p.m. EDT October 12, 2014
U.S. lacks a single standard for Ebola response

According to this article the individual States have guidelines but can do what they decide to do.

The CDC provides guidance, period.

Murphy says some of the issues in Texas stem from a "system problem" in the way public health care is managed in the USA. The Centers for Disease Control provides only guidance for infection prevention and management. "What they do in Texas, what they do in Illinois, it's up to the state," he says.

"The question is, who's in charge?" Murphy says. "The states can follow all the guidelines and take the advice, which they usually do, but they don't have to. It's not a legal requirement. So there really is no one entity that's controlling things."

Though the CDC is tasked with readying the nation for an Ebola outbreak, then leading the national response, the Department of Homeland Security is responsible for protecting the borders, according to Thomas Skinner, a spokesman for the CDC, which is under the auspices of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Murphy is Robert Murphy, director of the Center for Global Health at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

Oh and this is what the CDC does -
The CDC collaborates with health departments and laboratories around the USA to make sure they are able to test for Ebola and respond rapidly if there is a case in their state

Cbs Chicago saying Duncan's family taken to Chicago via Jesse Jackson http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/10...nt/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This article is inaccurate. The pregnant woman died hours, not weeks after Duncan reportedly helped her.
Also, I don't like the comments made by family members one bit.
Mr. Duncan did not inform the hospital he was in contact with a sick person who died.
Hospital was providing him with best supportive care they could, including dialysis and ventilation (which are apparently high risk procedures for spreading the virus).
Virus now spread to one of Mr. Duncan's nurse.

IMO...I really think at least one of the family has been infected, has already tested positive, and that info is not being made public.

I also think if they were all doing "just great" we would be hearing about it -- so us ignorant folk wouldn't worry.

I would agree except for the fact I don't think they could have kept it secret. I would be willing to bet that reporters have been camped out at every hospital in Dallas hoping to get a scoop. In addition I believe that someone would have either accidently or on purpose leaked the info by this time. JMO

Here ya go:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/12/examining-the-nations-ebola-response/17059283/
by Larry Copeland, USA TODAY 1:18 p.m. EDT October 12, 2014
U.S. lacks a single standard for Ebola response

According to this article the individual States have guidelines but can do what they decide to do.

The CDC provides guidance, period.

Murphy is Robert Murphy, director of the Center for Global Health at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

Oh and this is what the CDC does -

Osterholm and Murphy say the nation's public health system leaves room for a broad array of Ebola responses from state to state.

"We have to have more clarity," Osterholm says. "We have to have a level of excellence. If that means putting the CDC in charge of these departments of public health, that means we have to find a way to do that. We can have agreements (between the states and the CDC). ... We can't leave it up to the whims of the state to do it right or not do it right."

He acknowledges that no one has called for such a change.

"Not yet," he says. "But we need it, though. Texas was an example of how not to do it."

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/12/examining-the-nations-ebola-response/17059283/

I would agree except for the fact I don't think they could have kept it secret. I would be willing to bet that reporters have been camped out at every hospital in Dallas hoping to get a scoop. In addition I believe that someone would have either accidently or on purpose leaked the info by this time. JMO

well, I tried to listen to the whole briefing about the nurse and anything Judge Clay Jenkins had to say but don't believe anything was said along the lines of "the family is fine"

The incubation period is not up yet for Duncan's family members. We don't know if they are in incubation period and will get symptoms until incubation period is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08