Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The incubation period is not up yet for Duncan's family members. We don't know if they are in incubation period and will get symptoms until incubation period is over.

I agree although would be nice if there was a direct comment about how they are doing - and there has been no comment - unless I have just missed them - which is possible - opps while I am typing I am listening to briefing and he says no one, of the original 48, is showing symptoms

I agree although would be nice if there was a direct comment about how they are doing - and there has been no comment - unless I have just missed them - which is possible - opps while I am typing I am listening to briefing and he says no one, of tne the original 48, is showing symptoms

But person who they weren't even considering high risk (nurse) is showing symptoms.

I believe this is probably the result of inadequate training, alongside a lack of preparedness and perhaps improper equipment.

If Nigeria - with it's huge population - can contain ebola, the U.S, UK, rest of Europe, Australia etc. should have no problem in doing so. Nigeria were already in a good position due to their polio eradication initiative, meaning that they were much better organized, even with a poorer health infrastructure. Maybe we should take the lead from them for now.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-d...4/oct/07/nigeria-ebola-experience-teach-world

I know - just reporting what they said - didn't say I believe any of it. What I have read is that he, maybe had 103. fever at first visit to hospital and went home for approx. 4, maybe more, days and was around 4 people in closed small space i.e. apartment

They should still be under quarantine!!! Their 21 days are not up! I'll be mad if this is true.

This article is referring to his mother and nephew who never came into contact with him. I believe they visited the hospital when he was very ill, but could only watch him on CCTV.

The incubation period is not up yet for Duncan's family members. We don't know if they are in incubation period and will get symptoms until incubation period is over.

Since the incubation period hasn't expired, HOW did JJ manage to get the mother and nephew out of quarantine in Dallas and drag them to Chicago?

SMH

Nevermind. Question answered in another post

Since the incubation period hasn't expired, HOW did JJ manage to get the mother and nephew out of quarantine in Dallas and drag them to Chicago?

SMH

I don't think they met with Mr. Duncan when he became sick.

SMH

The mother and nephew were not in quarantine. They came to Texas to see Mr Duncan in hospital when he took a turn for the worse.

I believe this is probably the result of inadequate training, alongside a lack of preparedness and perhaps improper equipment.

If Nigeria - with it's huge population - can contain ebola, the U.S, UK, rest of Europe, Australia etc. should have no problem in doing so. Nigeria were already in a good position due to their polio eradication initiative, meaning that they were much better organized, even with a poorer health infrastructure. Maybe we should take the lead from them for now.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-d...4/oct/07/nigeria-ebola-experience-teach-world

Both Spain and Nigeria quarantined people in hospitals or isolation places.
We just keep them in their own homes, taking their word they won't be going out.
And we all know how well that works.

I don't think they met with Mr. Duncan when he became sick.

I read they went to the hospital when they knew things were looking bad. Obviously they were not allowed to see him - one of the links here said they were allowed to see him via CCTV.

I would agree except for the fact I don't think they could have kept it secret. I would be willing to bet that reporters have been camped out at every hospital in Dallas hoping to get a scoop. In addition I believe that someone would have either accidently or on purpose leaked the info by this time. JMO

Unless there are $$$ keeping the family quiet. Plus the whole denial of Ebola thing. Plus do the reporters actually KNOW the location of the family? Plus does that donated house have phone or Internet?

I think they have been way way too quiet, something isn't right.

It would be in the authorities best interest to advertise how they were NOT infected, NO WORRIES, everything is FINE yet instead we hear nothing?

This article is referring to his mother and nephew who never came into contact with him. I believe they visited the hospital when he was very ill, but could only watch him on CCTV.

Okay, I stand corrected. I thought they were referring to Louise and those quarantined with her or her daughter's family.

Top US doctors: Hospital worker infected with Ebola by 'breach in protocol,' changes in handling patients are coming

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ng-first-case-contracted-ebola-was-breach-in/

Frieden announced a five-part plan “to prevent how this occurred from happening again" that includes the number of health care workers treating an Ebola patient being “kept to a minimum” and limiting the number of medical procedures performed on the victim.

He said Duncan was on kidney dialysis and respiratory intubation as “desperate,” life-saving measures.

The plan also includes examining how a health care worker removes protective gear, which Frieden said has “a major potential for risks.”

In Spain the contacts are quarantined in the hospital -

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ebola-people-observation-spain-26123573
MADRID — Oct 11, 2014, 3:30 PM ET
By HAROLD HECKLE Associated Press

Three more people were under observation for Ebola in a Madrid hospital, boosting the number being monitored for symptoms to 16. A nursing assistant infected with the virus remained in serious but stable condition Saturday.
The latest three are a nurse who came into contact with nursing assistant Teresa Romero, a hairdresser who attended to her and a hospital cleaner, all of whom were admitted to Madrid's Carlos III hospital late Friday.

including her husband

Top US doctors: Hospital worker infected with Ebola by 'breach in protocol,' changes in handling patients are coming

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ng-first-case-contracted-ebola-was-breach-in/

Frieden announced a five-part plan “to prevent how this occurred from happening again" that includes the number of health care workers treating an Ebola patient being “kept to a minimum” and limiting the number of medical procedures performed on the victim.

He said Duncan was on kidney dialysis and respiratory intubation as “desperate,” life-saving measures.

The plan also includes examining how a health care worker removes protective gear, which Frieden said has “a major potential for risks.”

So now there will be more limitations placed on the care any further infected patients will receive? Since intubation and dialysis for Duncan are being blamed for possibly increasing the chances that his healthcare workers were exposed through those means?

Let's define Biosafety Level 4 (BSL-4) directly from the CDC doc - here (this doc includes very thorough definitions for each level of biosafety, a bit lengthy but worth understanding the differences): http://www.cdc.gov/biosafety/publications/bmbl5/bmbl5_sect_iv.pdf

Agents with a close or identical antigenic relationship to agents requiring BSL-4 containment must be handled at
this level until sufficient data are obtained either to confirm continued work at this
level, or re-designate the level.

As far as I know they have not downgraded the level for Ebola... so. There you go.
The biosafety levels referred to in that document apply to laboratories where people work with the actual virus/bacteria/microorganism and do not apply to hospitals. The CDC has separate guidelines for hospitals which are available here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyStacyStacy