Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox reporting deputy has tested negative for Ebola. Having said that, I'm buying duct tape and sealing up my condo. Cutting and designing a small hole in my front door for pizza and Pepsi. Naaa I see no reason to panic yet, I just wish a quarantine was in place for those wishing to leave affected countries. BTW: I'll take pepperoni, banana peppers and double cheese just in case.

This scenario is chilling, not only because of the threat of their immigrating into the US, but because of the response from Mexican... "LE".

A lot of innocent, healthy people could be shot trying to cross through there to get here.

The ensuing panic from this virus could be as damaging in some ways as the virus itself. :(

South America and India sound like very vulnerable & potentially pivotal areas if this virus makes its way there. I'm quite surprised we haven't seen it happen already (or maybe it has and it's just not incubated yet).

Dallas county deputy tests negative for Ebola

The Texas Department of State Health Services announced Thursday a deputy sheriff in the Dallas suburb of Frisco who had entered the apartment where victim Thomas Eric Duncan had stayed has tested negative for Ebola.

It had been feared that the deputy had contracted Ebola after he exhibited flu-like symptoms.

The health services completed testing of a specimen submitted today by Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, it said:

The result is negative for Ebola.

Link: http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2014/oct/09/ebola-disease-in-a-day-live

[h=3]UVA Researchers Identify, Map Unique Structure Within Ebola Virus[/h]
The scientists have figured out the structure of a protein in the virus that's key to the way Ebola is replicated. In other words, they know a lot more about how the disease spreads once it enters a person's body. Now, they want to find a way to attack this protein.

http://ht.ly/Cwn56

Great news on the Deputy! I hope the rest of the week stays on the same keel.

The row came as Maria Teresa Romero Ramos, the Spanish nurse who is the first person to contract Ebola outside Africa, suffered multiple organ failure and was put on a ventilator.

“Her clinical situation has deteriorated,” said a spokesman for the Carlos III hospital where Mrs Ramos, 44, was being treated, while her brother informed reporters that she had been intubated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...t-Ebola-patients-amid-fears-of-infection.html

Is anyone else buying a few "basics" just in case we have a problem? Ebola or even a nasty flu virus?

So far this is my list:
Latex Gloves
10 pack of surgical face masks
Container of Clorox Germicidal w/Bleach wipes (for the car, to clean gloves before removing)
A pair of 18" black PVC Gloves (only $4.99 on Amazon)
Some heavy duty plastic bags to use as disposable shoe covers
Spray Bottle of Alcohol
Eye Protection (Safety or shooting glasses)
A couple of gallons of bleach (with a distant expiration date)
Optional: Dupont Chem Suit with Hoodie ($14.99)

The way I see it everything on the list can be used around the house even if it is not needed as a precaution against disease.

For prevention of splashing of any liquid into the eye, you need to get GOGGLES, not safety glasses.

Poor guy. I mean I'm so glad he's negative but I fear he's been in a blind panic all week and the second he had one little issue, it just overwhelmed him and panic kicked in. I'm sorry Deputy :(

Now to DFW news crews...... STOP freaking out and spreading fear . We're all on sufficient edge without you kicking us off the cliff !

The row came as Maria Teresa Romero Ramos, the Spanish nurse who is the first person to contract Ebola outside Africa, suffered multiple organ failure and was put on a ventilator.

“Her clinical situation has deteriorated,” said a spokesman for the Carlos III hospital where Mrs Ramos, 44, was being treated, while her brother informed reporters that she had been intubated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...t-Ebola-patients-amid-fears-of-infection.html

Oh no, that doesn't sound good. :(

And to think that she was pretty much brushed off when she tried to get help because she knew she was sick.

Poor guy. I mean I'm so glad he's negative but I fear he's been in a blind panic all week and the second he had one little issue, it just overwhelmed him and panic kicked in. I'm sorry Deputy :(

Now to DFW news crews...... STOP freaking out and spreading fear . We're all on sufficient edge without you kicking us off the cliff !

No kidding. They kept reporting that he was suffering from "symptoms of ebola." His son said he had NO FEVER, no vomiting, no diarrhea. He woke up feeling "sore and had a stomach ache."

I think his dad let his imagination get the best of him. I can understand why, but the media has no such excuse.

Believe me, if I had been in an ebola apartment, I would also have immediately reported to a hospital the minute I felt "off"... It's better than infecting everyone around you once you really get sick...

Believe me, if I had been in an ebola apartment, I would also have immediately reported to a hospital the minute I felt "off"... It's better than infecting everyone around you once you really get sick...

Yes, a HOSPITAL, (vs. a minor emergency clinic), or call 911, or the CDC.

It's unfortunate that once it became known that the deputies had entered the apartment before it had been disinfected, apparently there was no attempt made to give these guys education, support, and a contact number of someone to call with their concerns. In retrospect, that would probably have been very helpful to them.

I guess we learn some of this stuff as we go.

Yes, a HOSPITAL, (vs. a minor emergency clinic), or call 911, or the CDC.

It's unfortunate that once it became known that the deputies had entered the apartment before it had been disinfected, apparently there was no attempt made to give these guys education, support, and a contact number of someone to call with their concerns. In retrospect, that would probably have been very helpful to them.

I guess we learn some of this stuff as we go.

An ebola expert thinks the deputies should be a part of the contact tracing:

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Local-Ebola-Expert-Calls-CDC-Negligent-278616091.html

Such terrible news...I keep thinking of her husband and what an awful situation he is in, with his wife critically ill, his own life in danger, and not even his beloved dog to comfort him. So sad!

Patient Zero believed to be sole source of Ebola outbreak

Published: 09 October 2014 02:44 PM

DINA FINE MARON

One glaring fact from the latest report on the Ebola outbreak is that five of the many study authors are dead, killed by the disease that is roiling west Africa. The new analysis, published in the August 29 issue of Science, reveals that the current Ebola outbreak stemmed from an earlier initial leap from the wild into humans, rather than the virus repeatedly jumping from a natural reservoir—perhaps infected animals—to humans. By essentially sketching out a high-tech molecular family tree, researchers concluded that the virus spreading in Sierra Leone and nearby countries is the descendent of an original Ebola viral jump, and not new versions of the pathogen that are being repeatedly introduced into the human population. That means the public health response to this outbreak—which focuses on tracking and treating those who have been exposed to people with Ebola, rather than attempting to keep people away from potential animal carriers—has been the right strategy.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...ieved-to-be-sole-source-of-ebola-outbreak.ece

This scenario is chilling, not only because of the threat of their immigrating into the US, but because of the response from Mexican... "LE".

A lot of innocent, healthy people could be shot trying to cross through there to get here.

Yeah well our gov isn't going to stop them from coming in so if the Mexican Government can stem the flow that is a good thing.

If our Gov wanted to PROTECT this country they would not only be imposing travel restrictions AND quarantine but they would also help the South American countries prepare for the eventual arrival of Ebola.

Those countries need to have instructions on how to set up quarantine facilities, how to disinfect ambulances, and they also need to have a plan to quickly distribute a list of basic supplies to ALL families that are put under house quarantine so those people CAN stay at home and not transmit the virus. Supplies like basic foods, gloves, disinfectants, water, instructions, propaganda that makes people feel it is their patriotic duty, and support from the local churches to encourage successful and SUPPORTIVE quarantines while curbing mass panic.

One of the major problems in Africa is that quarantined household members often run around all over the village to find food etc... If a country had a PLAN and could immediately and effectively quarantine the very FIRST individuals exposed they could nip it in the bud even without a lot of resources and money. Then again the U.S. apparently doesn't even have a plan for that here.

Apparently the U.S. GOV ONLY cares about Africa and they don't care about the neighboring countries that could be devastated by this? Makes NO sense at all.

the

This is so darn sad. Prayers to her and her Family.

That Deputy is very lucky!

TY , intersting read.Howeveer this confused me

iot: ... which might speed its spread. Yes, that really is the apocalyptic scenario. Humans are actually just an accidental host for the virus, and not a good one. From the perspective of a virus, it isn't desirable for its host, within which the pathogen hopes to multiply, to die so quickly. It would be much better for the virus to allow us to stay alive longer.

I guess i get alive longer (but? longer suffering) but does this make sense : From the perspective of a virus, it isn't desirable for its host, within which the pathogen hopes to multiply, to die so quickly.

I'm not sure if this article has been posted before but I thought it's quite interesting to read and understand some of the circumstances why Ebola is spread so quickly in West Africa:

Interview with Ebola Discoverer Peter Piot: 'It Is What People Call a Perfect Storm'

http://www.spiegel.de/international...t-discoverer-of-the-ebola-virus-a-993111.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member