Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm officially out...There's enough "could've , should've" to cover the globe. I posted this because I thought it was pertinent to show the, IMO, lack of professionalism displayed by officials at both the hospital and the govt level. While we're all just spouting opinion I'll give you mine: I'd bet $$$ this deputy did not think he had Ebola at all but was making a point about being expected to go into a hazardous condition without proper equipment and no follow up on monitoring his health. In essence, nobody gave a crap about him or his fellow deputies, and by completely skipping him in releasing the results, they further proved that. You are going to have a bunch of pissed off govt employees putting their butts on the line without proper training or equipment. The ambulance that transported Mr Duncan to the hospital was left in service for 48hours before it was taken offline and decontaminated! You had emts and the public with needless exposure. The airline employees are walking off the job in NY because they are not trained/equipped to handle cleaning planes that may contain Ebola. And by the way, the reason the deputies were in the apartment in the first place was to serve an official quarantine order because the family completely disregarded the initial verbal order to stay home. Mods, feel free to delete...

I hope you don't think my disbelief/annoyance was at you for your post - my apologies. I am annoyed/in disbelief at the deputy and wife, rather, if what media is reporting turns out true.

I realize second guessing doesn't do much HERE in this forum, but public officials (LE, first responders, EMTs etc) and health care professionals MUST look at what has happened in Dallas and second guess. I am dumbfounded, frankly, that a member of LE who attended to the apartment of a known Ebola patient would take himself to a VERY public clinic knowing what he knew. It is one thing for a private citizen to panic and head to a public waitin room/clinic/ER. Denial bein what it is. But this man knew where he had been, knew that if he was ill then he could possibly cause either a panic or a new outbreak, yet STILL took himself to an urgent care clinic in the middle of the day. This is unacceptable in a person who occupied a position of authority in the community. He knew better. And being in a position of authority and knowledge, he should be held to a higher standard. No excuse for doing what he did. If he thought he was ill then knowing the situation he should have sat his arse down and called someone to report so that they could come get him.

No excuses. And none for the hospital that turned Duncan away either. The CDC regularly issues updates and guidelines. Patients are NOT always forthcoming and 100% honest when questioned about history. The failure of the hospital and the failure of this deputy are unacceptable. Dallas needs to get their ish together.

Sorry for the rant. I started out just wantin to apologize for making it seem like I was angry at you for your post, which I was not. But got off on a rant. Sorry again for that. :sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He had no contact with the patient. He was at the apartment days later, (four I believe), which according to your own link would not have made him a contact by any significant stretch. Local news said he made no contact with any body fluids of the patient, his soiled clothes, etc. None of the family was symptomatic when he was present. You don't get ebola simply because you are present in a place where the patient stayed days before, getting a signature from an asymptomatic individual.

I understand why this guy let his imagination take him to scary places. The media has no excuse and are contributing to misinformation being spread.

I'm not sure this deputy let his imagination take him to scary places. Maybe he just had stomach pain and wanted treatment for that. Honestly for all we know he could have an ulcer, a gastrointestinal virus, or gallstones. He had to be honest with the clinic and tell them he had been a deputy on the case of Mr. Duncan. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe I read that the deputy is the one that told the clinic he had ebola.

I'm not sure this deputy let his imagination take him to scary places. Maybe he just had a stomach pain and wanted treatment for that. Honestly for all we know he could have an ulcer, a gastrointestinal virus, or gallstones. He had to be honest with the clinic and tell them he had been a deputy on the case of Mr. Duncan. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe I read that the deputy is the one that told the clinic he had ebola.

You would think, though, that knowing where he'd been, he would have erred on the side of caution even if he only thought he had a stomach bug. It just kills me that this guy thought it was a good idea to go to an urgent care clinic instead of calling for assistance or advice. Who does that?!

I think if Mr Duncan's family doesn't come down with ebola everyone else will feel a sigh of relief.

I'm not much of an alarmist, but I'd be a little concerned if I was feeling ill after visiting a residence where a known Ebola victim lived.

One thing that needs to be done is to make the test for Ebola available at more labs. IIRC, there are only a few places that can do this test.

This is unacceptable should Ebola start becoming a frequent visitor in our country. CDC it is time to be proactive and get this initiated now!

TY , intersting read.Howeveer this confused me

iot: ... which might speed its spread. Yes, that really is the apocalyptic scenario. Humans are actually just an accidental host for the virus, and not a good one. From the perspective of a virus, it isn't desirable for its host, within which the pathogen hopes to multiply, to die so quickly. It would be much better for the virus to allow us to stay alive longer.

I guess i get alive longer (but? longer suffering) but does this make sense : From the perspective of a virus, it isn't desirable for its host, within which the pathogen hopes to multiply, to die so quickly.

The way I understand it is that those viruses take on a life on their own. A human is not a good "host" for the virus as humans die after a few weeks (seems like 23 days in Mr. Duncan's case).

On the other side, however, viruses can live a long time like in bats and I suppose, in other bush animals. As the "host" continues to live and so does the virus, being spread to others.

JMO.

Is the government going to take the responsibility of cleaning and moving any family that experiences Ebola?

Oh also if you have heavy duty trash bags (or a roll of plastic sheeting) and plenty of tape on hand you could always improvise a protective suit if you suddenly required one. It won't be pretty but at that point who cares.

Slightly OT but while looking on Amazon I came cross this 3M Gas Mask and really want it...though it is more than I wanted to spend. Full face coverage and protects against viruses, tear gas, chemical warfare, noxious fumes, allergans, dust, dander etc... Widely used by folks that do painting and construction. PLUS it isn't bad looking for a gas mask. I am trying to justify why it is a good investment...lol.

41mPrzVrijL._SS100_.jpg

Would they let me board a plane wearing this?

You would think, though, that knowing where he'd been, he would have erred on the side of caution even if he only thought he had a stomach bug. It just kills me that this guy thought it was a good idea to go to an urgent care clinic instead of calling for assistance or advice. Who does that?!

Agreed. :eek:

FYI, CBS (local channel 11) says they will air their interview with "an upset" Mrs. Monnig tonight after the football game.

No wonder we are all confused. Apparently the info we get just depends on what channel we are watching. Totally CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, I think cost should be the least of our concerns.

I'm not sure this deputy let his imagination take him to scary places. Maybe he just had stomach pain and wanted treatment for that. Honestly for all we know he could have an ulcer, a gastrointestinal virus, or gallstones. He had to be honest with the clinic and tell them he had been a deputy on the case of Mr. Duncan. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe I read that the deputy is the one that told the clinic he had ebola.

Yes, I believe you are right. Something like he went to the clinic with the pain and they asked him if he had been around anyone from W.A. and he checked the box yes and then the story came out.

Maybe if the CDC had thought it was any chance at all that he would have gotten the virus, he would not have gone to the clinic.

I do not know if this was posted here yet. My apologies if it was.

http://news.sky.com/video/1350462/ebola-crisis-on-the-front-line

Wow wow wow if watching solely as a documentary on living in a third world nation is devasting in and of itself. It was like beleving I had a notion of what that is like, to discover that I was living in fantasy world --unless you see it like I just did--it knocks you off your feet.
Throw in the virus and one can understand how it has spread there, increases the awareness that unless it goes airborne IMO no way could it ever get like that in a industrialized nation.

Infected activly sick individuals sharing hospital beds , lying on the floor 6 inches away from one another, squalor is an understatement and far to kind for the realities I just saw. Little sick children totally alone, there familes all died. Alone, and sick, with big people walking around in space suits. Iv tubes that are like hand made. Garbarge just about here in there. Mobs of folks all of whom have lost folks just standing there watching bodies being dragged, tossed in the back of old trucks. Dead human beings on a bench here, lying on a bed deceased in thier bed for who knows how long. THe deceased are just kina piling up or not noticed yet - just dead. Just there. WIth what we know I am surprised that there are not much decased yet.

And just in a context it does make one aware of how lucky we have it, often a forgotten reality. It was unbelivable, and although I am feeling many feelings, none good, I thank you for posting - it clearly expalined why it has been so hard hit ---it is undersatndble how half of the deceased were never tested - death from disease , of any kind, must be just a part of existance over there. I bet the flu or a bad cold can kill people over there. Streph throat is probably fatal, an infection from a cut probably IMO has killed in that envorment. I hope the experts from our military get rolling really quiclkly ...and IMO it is clear that many many more of these of hihghly trained folks will be there in no time.

Once the initial 4000 get set up --they are going to begging for more hands, tents,body bags,water, bleasch needles tents, haz mat suits by the thousands, it is really bad over there, and the way things I just saw there is no way it can slow down, without massive help from industialzied nations are any other nations sending thieir equivielants over there

They need all the help that can be found......

Trigger how were you after viewing, or anyone else who viewed it? INtense experiance

Again thank for post feel like crying actually, probably shall momentarily and a bit sick to my stomach......

Which man are you referring to?

If it is the British man who died in Macedonia, then he has not actually been named yet from what I can see. He was described as a businessman on our UK news rather than a doctor.

I have had a quick look and the latest press reports were from the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail an hour ago and neither of them named him.

If he has been named in a source which isn't main stream press, I think I might treat the information with a bit of caution for the moment - particularly with the 'coincidence' of the name.....

I also cannot find any recent news reports relating to the British nurse Will Pooley. The last was about a week ago praising him for donating his plasma to help another patient. I am sure if anything had really happened to him it would be all over our news.

I found a bit of info here:

The unnamed man, who Macedonian authorities said was 57, was admitted to hospital at 15:00 local time (14:00 BST) and died two hours later, the country's health ministry said.

He had been vomiting, had a fever and was bleeding internally.

There were "high chances" it was not an Ebola case, the the ministry added.

But in a statement it said officials had followed World Health Organization procedure in closing the hotel where the man was staying and placing the residents in quarantine.

A Macedonian government spokesman said the man's travelling companion - also British and aged 72 according to authorities - said they had travelled directly from the UK to Skopje and had not been to any affected areas. He is under observation in hospital, as is the ambulance crew who treated the dead man.

Dr Brian McCloskey, from Public Health England, said he was aware of the reports but added: "We understand Ebola to be unlikely as the cause of death but will continue to work with partners to investigate."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29559444

I don't understand.

Sorry, I thought it was a pretty straightforward statement.

I think the costs of treatment/cleanup/quarantin/etc are the least of our concerns right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member