Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ambulance that transported Mr Duncan to the hospital was left in service for 48hours before it was taken offline and decontaminated! You had emts and the public with needless exposure.

In all fairness, every ambulance is "decontaminated" after each patient use. The virus does not survive well with the agents commonly used to spray down stretchers and other surfaces. This ambulance wasn't just left dirty, it just wasn't decontaminated exactly as to ebola protocol specifically. I think the chances of anyone becoming infected after riding in that ambulance are very very low.

I'm interested to know something, if anyone has any documentation re: incubation period. The current info says symptoms can show anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure, with the majority of cases showing at approx. 8 days after exposure to infected body fluids. For someone who shows symptoms at only 2 days post exposure, does that indicate that a)that person is less likely to survive than someone whose immune system takes 8 or 10 or 21 days to finally succumb? or that b)a person who succumbs after only 2 days has a more virulent strain? or c)was exposed to more fluids than a person who doesn't show symptoms until 14 to 21 days-did that person only come into contact with a very little bit of body fluids, or

d)none of the above?

Thanks for the clarification. I agree, right now they are, but soon could become a huge issue.

True, it could become very expensive. It's a shame because many government agencies have seen budget cuts and have so many other issues to deal with already. We have to look at the cost vs the benefit. Believe me the expense now is to decease expenses - and lives lost later. Sometimes we have to choice but do what we have to do.

Well we can either spend now and halt outbreaks, or pay later.

Somehow I think we can find the money to pay to halt it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you GardenLady......... I actually still can't believe how slow the richer countries of the world are in trying to contain this!!! It must be contained in West Africa which is going to cost lots of money, and yes money that needs to be spent really, really soon! It is great they are building more facilities but to me it is still not enough.........We just had a scare here with the nurse who worked for the Red Cross in Cairns....Cairns is about 360 kilometres from where I live. We are in the north and travellers/backpackers etc tend to arrive in Cairns and travel down the coast, I live in the next bigger city/town (200 000) south, so there was quite a panic here until yesterday. One thing that came out of it, a huge majority of the general public all voiced a very similar opinion through social media, tv shows, radio, txts to editor etc and that was that the quarantine must happen over there and people cleared before boarding planes back to their home countries. This nurse was being quarantined in her house...with 2 flatmates!

So money needs to be spent on specialized quarantine centres for the nurses/doctors/aid workers etc etc who are all risking their lives...... and of course just general medical supplies such as sheets which can be burnt, suits, gloves, masks etc must be paid for now.

Time for richer foreign companies to chip in, huge co orporations, the likes of macdonalds, apple, bh billiton the list is endless, chip in.... rich actors, singers, writers, etc chip in, just rich in general....now is the time to put in to some form of a fund.....even us little people donating like we did for tsunami victims and the likes need to chip in to a fund..............and then this fund needs to be governed by say the UN and everything thrown at stopping this now before it gets any further and a lot worse. Not only for the poor Africans but for us: just in case, the risk is too high.

Personally I think outbreaks in western countries, while they could escalate, I do believe we would be able to contain them.......however if the numbers do start getting higher there could be chaos...

I read a post on a forum the other night and this hit home to me.: He basically said that if it start going through his country (think he was in the UK) he would not hesitate to shoot anyone to protect his family!

Train immune Ebola survivors to help medics, says UK nurse Will Pooley

Briton, who hopes to return to Sierra Leone, recalls tragic story of Douda Fullah, who lost family to virus but helps in hospital

The Guardian, Thursday 9 October 2014 16.18 EDT

The British nurse who survived Ebola has said he believes immune survivors should be trained to assist healthcare workers in the fight against the disease.

Will Pooley hopes to return to Sierra Leone after doctors advised him he would have antibodies to make him immune to the virus for months to come.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...la-survivors-help-medics-uk-nurse-will-pooley

:clap: What a noble and wise person. :clap:

Yes re the training of the people who have survived it: excellent idea........ if it's proven they are immune, which I gather it must be. I have not seen any fundraising at all for West Africa here. I remember with both tsunami's, it was in papers and tv and telethons etc to donate and there was recently something in the phillipines as well. We have a large philipino community here, so you couldn't miss being asked to donate. Maybe it will come.....

I don't know, I am just surprised at how the world has coped with this. But maybe in the next couple of weeks things may get a bit more serious.
Someone posted above a list of the latest news releases of suspected cases and all of them being negative. That has made me more confident that in the richer countries there may be limited serious outbreaks. But I really do feel for the Africans in these countries, just bloomin awful and we do need to help them.

According to this article, Deputy Monig first called the Dallas Co. Medical Director. He was told by Dallas Co. Medical Director, Dr. Charles Perkins, to either go to his doctor or to an urgent care facility if he was unable to get an appointment with his doctor. Deputy Monig followed instructions as recommended.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/loca...-frisco-ebola-scare-an-overreaction/16994107/

Thanks for this.

So much for the criticism of Deputy Monnig. After hearing more of the story late the day it occurred, it became clear that this was not his doing. One thing that does give me pause is the ebola expert in CO who said Monnig's follow up was not within guidelines. All the "experts" need to get on the same page with this stuff ASAP so the public can have confidence in their decisions. IMO, of course.

Thanks for this.

So much for the criticism of Deputy Monnig. After hearing more of the story late the day it occurred, it became clear that this was not his doing. One thing that does give me pause is the ebola expert in CO who said Monnig's follow up was not within guidelines. All the "experts" need to get on the same page with this stuff ASAP so the public can have confidence in their decisions. IMO, of course.

Exactly. Deputy did what he was told to do. Now what they told him to do doesn't necessarily make sense. If they are going to tell contacts of Ebola victims to go to their doctors or emergency rooms, they could easily spread it around.

Someone is falling down in Dallas. Whosever decision it was for the deputy to go to an urgent care center needs to get with the program. And really, the deputy should have known better. But whosever order it was needs to go, or get his/her head straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this.

There are a couple of things that are very disturbing to me. We never know whether or not what we hear or see on the news is correct. Different news outlets tell conflicting stories because they are stumbling all over each other trying to get a scoop. I guess it's asking for too much to expect the media to act responsibly. Secondly, health & medical experts still don't seem to have a handle on how to deal with the situation. It's like everyone is just running around in a circle & the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. They are never going to come up with a solution until all the so-called experts get their act together.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...-sheet-us-response-ebola-epidemic-west-Africa

This fact sheet has a thorough overview of what the US and others are doing to help contain Ebola.

<snip> USAID is supporting a Community Care Campaign, which will provide communities and households with protection kits, appropriate information and training on how to protect themselves and their loved ones. In partnership with the United Nations Children Fund, the Paul Allen Family Foundation, and other key partners, we will immediately target the 400,000 most vulnerable households in Liberia. The package will subsequently be scaled to cover the country and the broader region.
•As part of this effort, this week, USAID will airlift 50,000 home health care kits from Denmark to Liberia to be hand-delivered to distant communities by trained youth volunteers.

It seems like the perception is shock that "in America “ what happened in Dallas is amazing- or this notion that we offer the best heath care in the world. The only health care dynamic we rank as number one is in cost to every pt.

1. United Kingdom
    2. Switzerland
    3. Sweden
    4. Australia
    5. Germany & Netherlands (tied)
    7. New Zeal and & Norway (tied)
    9. France
    10. Canada
    11. United States
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunr...ked-dead-last-compared-to-10-other-countries/

In this ranking we came in 38 out of 190 nations, while being number one in cost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems_in_2000

. Among the 11 nations studied in this report—Australia, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zeal and, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States—the U.S. ranks last, as it did in the 2010, 2007, 2006, and 2004 .......

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/fund-reports/2014/jun/mirror-mirror

Switching gears ....It seems like it might be IMO a good idea if they start (individuals willing) to began to store blood from the serving folks. It is a solid medical notion that being exposed to many silliness, the building of antibodies can be very effective. I wonder why it seems like they are doing it on a specific case basis.

Shifting again! "Entry screening in the UKA statement on the Department of Health's website is not recommended by the World Health Organization, and there are no plans to introduce entry screening for Ebola in the UK." BBC

Switzerland would have been my choice if I were an immigrant looking for treatment..and housing. I know US is one of the highest cost for medical treatment, but that only applies to US citizens apparently others can get it free.

So a bunch of medical personnel in spain refusing to work:
"According to El Pais, Spain&#8217;s biggest daily newspaper, a number of health staff at the Carlos III Hospital in Madrid have resigned their positions, citing concerns about the safety conditions in the hospital, and the effectiveness of the protective clothing."

If this breaks out here we can expect the same thing. You simply cannot expect people to put their lives on the line or their families everyday for strangers..its a rare breed to be able to do that. Firefighters, police officers know this is what they're signing up for. Health care workers not so much unless they are in a military type capacity. Or Doctors without borders etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8