Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of one 4th of July weekend, a friend and I stopped at a fast food place on the way home to use the bathroom. There was quite a wait with a long line of travelers. Then a woman barged in and went to the front of the line and grabbed the first stall that opened. Everyone was angry until we heard the sound of explosive diarrhea. We still had a wait and the smell was horrific, I told my friend "let's go." What was funny, we stopped at the next fast food place and there was absolutely no line.

Nowdays everybody would run out of that bathroom screaming "Ebola!"

My uneducated guess is an unintended breach in protocol. In our taped trials here we found that the more complex, more unfamiliar the PPE is, the number of contaminated breaches went way up, usually in removing the PPE.

Yes, we hear that a lot...improper removal of PPE being so dangerous. I just hope all clinicians in positions such as yourself have thorough training and proper PPE.

BTW, what are taped trials?

Guess the county or state of Texas will be picking up all this person's medical bills -- it should be a workers compensation claim since she was exposed on the job.

Sadly on worker's comp the nurse will receive only 2/3 salary!

Yes, we hear that a lot...improper removal of PPE being so dangerous. I just hope all clinicians in positions such as yourself have thorough training and proper PPE.

We videotaped ourselves donning and doffing in a mock ebola room

With all due respect, I don't see panic on here. I see valid questions being asked of an RN working in an Ebola designated unit of a hospital. I also see people bringing up the subject of a hospital being faced with more Ebola patients than they are capable of providing care for. Not throwing tomatoes at you, just disagree with your panic assessment.

I have no problem with you're disagreements..but then I am assuming you aren't counting all those postings about end days stocking up with Hazmat suits, food pantry stocking , bleach, respirators etc...I'm glad you aren't panicking and encourage asking questions...but truly after reading nearly 30 pages on this thread it came across of conspiracy theories..assumptions that there's many out there sick with Eboli..and it's not being shared..CDC and WHO have dealt with many contagious diseased for many decades..and I would have to assume they would NOT place people at risk..BUT guess my following their guidelines during SARS was misguided :face palm:

All above meant with all due respect :eek:

In Africa, doctors and nurses are being sprayed with disinfectant before taking off gowns.
I think the hospitals need to come up with more stringent protocols than just PPE in current cdc guidelines. How were nurses and doctors in Dallas taking off their PPEs? Was there anyone helping them like it's done in Africa?

RabidBadger, do you think a 12 hour shift caring for an Ebola patient is too long? i.e. high stress, fatigue, working in PPE...

RabidBadger, do you think a 12 hour shift caring for an Ebola patient is too long? i.e. high stress, fatigue, working in PPE...
I don't think so. We work in high stress, high PPE circumstances on an average day.

Someone on Twitter keeps asking if Presby Dallas used the "buddy system" in regards to removing the PPE's.

If not, I'm sure they're looking into it. moo

I have no problem with you're disagreements..but then I am assuming you aren't counting all those postings about end days stocking up with hasmaat suits, panties , bleach, respirators etc...I'm glad you aren't panicking and encourage asking questions...but truly after reading nearly 30 pages on this thread it came across of conspiracy theories..assumptions that there's many out there sick with Eboli..and it's not being shared.

Someone on this forum stated that she felt like this "is the beginning of the end." If that's not panic, I don't know what is. Fortunately that kind of mentality seems to be at the extreme and not the norm.

I have no problem with you're disagreements..but then I am assuming you aren't counting all those postings about end days stocking up with Hazmat suits, food pantry stocking , bleach, respirators etc...I'm glad you aren't panicking and encourage asking questions...but truly after reading nearly 30 pages on this thread it came across of conspiracy theories..assumptions that there's many out there sick with Eboli..and it's not being shared..CDC and WHO have dealt with many contagious diseased for many decades..and I would have to assume they would NOT place people at risk..BUT guess my following their guidelines during SARS was misguided :face palm:

All above meant with all due respect :eek:

You certainly have read more posts than I have. I missed the hazmat suit, bleach, and panties stock up advice. And I would certainly hope there are not more people out there suffering from Ebola than we are led to believe. I don't know what the benefit of that would be to anyone. My apologies:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Sophieandme

RabidBadger
I don't think so. We work in high stress, high PPE circumstances on an average day.

Approximately how many times do you have to donn and doff the PPE in a shift?

(BTW, I appreciate you answering all my ?'s!)

Watching a new CSI show...are it's re: ebola like virus. smh smh

Love that the Cleaning Guys are feeding and caring for the dog of patient 1.

Love that the Cleaning Guys are feeding and caring for the dog of patient 1.
Are you referring to Mr. Duncan? He brought a dog here from Africa? I know that the company " Cleaning Guys" was the company which disposed of biohazardous materials in Dallas.

Was that a suspected case of ebola treated at NIH in Maryland? When was that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...as-eric-duncan-has-tested-positive-for-ebola/

Frieden also said the CDC is considering having Ebola patients be treated at one of the four facilities in the United States that have special isolation units. Three of them — the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md.; Emory University Hospital in Atlanta; and the University of Nebraska Medical Center — have treated confirmed or suspected Ebola cases. The fourth place is St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louiwebb