Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This bothers me too. The only way it makes sense to me is that because Duncan was in the early stages of the disease, it(ebola) was not as active and had not multiplied/replicated at that time.

It still remains to be seen, but this looks to be a distinct possibility. What are the odds that Louise AND all three of the "close" contacts just happen to have an unexplained immunity? No, it seems that in the immediate onset of symptoms, it is not as contagious as when the patient is secreting copious fluids.

That said, I'm stunned Louis continues to be asymptomatic. She still has some time to go, but how she wasn't patient number 2 is beyond me.

It still remains to be seen, but this looks to be a distinct possibility. What are the odds that Louise AND all three of the "close" contacts just happen to have an unexplained immunity? No, it seems that in the immediate onset of symptoms, it is not as contagious as when the patient is secreting copious fluids.

Or there was some quarantining happening in that apartment.

How in the heck can not one person inside Duncan's apartment have it if nurses with any protection are getting it ? They must have guardian angels.

Well, the answer to that seems clear. IF these people remain healthy, it indicates exactly what I've been saying this morning: that a person who has no symptoms is in fact NOT contagious, and someone who JUST begins showing symptoms is of low risk, and each day which passes in the life of that viral progression makes it more and more of a threat.

Saying it is not as easily contagious in the early stage is NOT equivalent to saying you don't treat it as such! It is only relevant from a "should I panic" standpoint, not a policy implementation standpoint.

Or there was some quarantining happening in that apartment.

Well, you would certainly hope so. And if so, it would confirm that direct contact to body fluids is the culprit rather than being in the same general vicinity.

Matthew Keys just tweeted that WFAA-TV stated that the second healthcare worker to contract Ebola in Texas was not among workers previously examined.

wow....

On my phone so can't copy paste the tweet. @MatthewKeys

Louise and family are almost out of the woods. I wonder if any or all somehow have a bit of immunity. It seems as though the first person we would have expected to contract it was Louise. Just thinking out loud. JMO

The 21 day thing is a "rough estimate" and it is believed about 5% of cases appear AFTER 21 days, some as late as 40 days, and some even later. They are spreading the 21 day incubation as Gospel and it is NOT.

http://www.nejm.org/action/showImage?doi=10.1056/NEJMoa1411100&iid=f03

Also if you look at the above graphs it appears the incubation period differs based on outbreaks (depending on strain?).

Matthew Keys just tweeted that WFAA-TV stated that the second healthcare worker to contract Ebola in Texas was not among workers previously examined.

wow....

bbm correct

The latest person to test positive was one of 76 health care workers at Presbyterian who were being monitored daily for symptoms of Ebola.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/us/ebola-outbreak-texas.html

“There were 76 people who had some level of contact and therefore are being actively monitored,” Dr. Frieden said.

That is in addition to the 48 people who were already being watched because they had possible contact with Mr. Duncan before he was hospitalized.

That said, I'm stunned Louis continues to be asymptomatic. She still has some time to go, but how she wasn't patient number 2 is beyond me.

JMO I just thought that PERHAPS there is some ancient genetic immunity..........but that is just wishful thinking. It does make me wonder, though, why the numbers of the afflicted in West Africa aren't even greater than they already are, considering the burial rituals and denial and close quarters and environmental conditions. JMO

matthew keys just tweeted that wfaa-tv stated that the second healthcare worker to contract ebola in texas was not among workers previously examined.

Wow....

On my phone so can't copy paste the tweet. @matthewkeys

omg!!

He said of the 75 that "they are employed but not working." They have been given the option to isolate themselves at a location which was not disclosed. He said that Nina and the second patient opted to isolate at home since they live alone.

Listening to a reporter who was and has been very vocal about this whole thing, she seems to have spoken to some of these nurses. She said that the nurses/caregivers are NOT cavalierly galavanting around the community. They are being ultra vigilant. These people are not uneducated or unaware that they've been exposed, like Duncan's family claims that he was. They KNOW they are at risk. I feel very scared for them, but not OF them. These are educated people who care about their own health. This reporter goes on to say these people are aware "of every tummy rumble" and are actually pretty paranoid.

Thank you for clarifying that nrdsb4 and I couldn't agree more with your comments on these incredibly brave HC workers. I've never been big on prayer but, at this point, I'm sending prayers out to any God who will hear me; "Please watch over, protect, and give strength to those who are on the front lines treating this (expletive) virus!" I also hope they know and feel that those who care for/about them outweigh those who are scared of them. It's too painful to even imagine what they must be going through.

wow....

That's NOT WHAT WAS said at the press conference.

Here was the question:

"A couple of days ago, it was communicated to employees that two employees were being examined for ebola. Was this worker one of those two people?"

Answer:

"No."

She was not someone examined under suspicion of ebola a couple of days ago, but was one of the 75 being monitored.

Why are the cleaners in hazmat suits but our healthcare workers are basically only given toilet paper to wrap up in? Argh I feel for these healthcare workers right now b/c they set out to help people and they should be given the best of the best to protect them. That is like sending a cop to a gunfight without a bulletproof vest on.

The city has already begun decontamination efforts at the home of the woman most recently infected. She lives alone and has no pets, he said.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...la-patient-20141015-story.html#navtype=outfit

The CDC also plans to launch a top-flight response team, which will go to any hospital that reports an Ebola case. It will include healthcare workers with experience in Ebola outbreaks, Frieden said.

The statement below is in reference to Nina Pham

She also received a plasma transfusion from a doctor who recovered from the virus, and the hospital CEO said medical staff members remain hopeful about her condition.

bbm read that three time. They plan to do that, they are not ready to do that, don't be confused. jmo idk

All JMO
Ive been following the news about this and did a lot of reading on this disease many years ago.

If any people have not realized it by now, this is a bad nasty scary disease. Really really really bad.
Its actually the worse disease I have ever learned about.

The 2 main things that bother me
1-how very fast it can kill you from the time you get infected
2-how easy it is to catch this disease

Africa has over 4000 cases now. A few weeks ago, I believe I read it was slightly over 2500. Therefore, it has basically doubled in a short time.

I know the "experts" say it is not airborne but I think they are not considering how bodily fluids can travel a short distance in the form of microscopic mist particles if someone sneazes, coughs, or the fluids are washed with high pressure hoses or steam cleaners.

The 1 case in Africa where the guy swears he caught it by washing an infected persons car and he was hit by the spray.

The CDC has downplayed the danger and I frankly dont buy what they are selling.

I do think we can contain this if we get a whole lot more serious about it and treat it with the urgency it deserves.

All JMO

The 1 case in Africa where the guy swears he caught it by washing an infected persons car and he was hit by the spray.

That would be a textbook example of direct contact exposure to infected body fluids. Why would this be surprising?

IMO
The CDC just let this happen, after Duncan was confirmed to have it. My question is WHY?

My prayers are also for the health care workers who bravely and compassionately care for people every day.

JMO

That would be a textbook example of direct contact exposure to infected body fluids. Why would this be surprising?

I didnt say it was surprising. It demonstrates that it is "airborne". When particles fly through the air and infect people whether it be by high pressure washers OR people sneezing or coughing, that is airborne to me.

The CDC is being disengenous when they try to make people believe they cannot catch it unless they go over and touch someone or their stuff. Put an infected person out in the street on a windy day and let him cough, sneeze, spit, + wheeze, and that is airborne transmission in my book.

I didnt say it was surprising. It demonstrates that it is "airborne". When particles fly through the air and infect people whether it be by high pressure washers OR people sneezing or coughing, that is airborne to me.

The CDC is being disengenous when they try to make people believe they cannot catch it unless they go over and touch someone or their stuff. Put an infected person out in the street on a windy day and let him cough, sneeze, spit, + wheeze, and that is airborne transmission in my book.

Sorry, but a lay person doesn't get to define "airborne transmission." There is a definition of what airborne means, and that example of the pressure washer is not it. That is a definite CONTACT transmission. The CDC or WHO cannot define terms according to how Joe Schmo defines it.

That's not airborne, thats actually droplet transmission, which is already recognized as a method of spreading the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper