Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I dip my gloved hand into a bucket of ebola feces and throw it across the room and it hits your face, that is contact transmission, even though the feces "went through the air." That does not make it airborne.

Sorry, but a lay person doesn't get to define "airborne transmission." There is a definition of what airborne means, and that example is not it. The CDC or WHO cannot define terms according to how Joe Schmo defines it.

Well I'll just say this, if I am standing 3-5 feet from someone that has ebola and they sneeze and I get it, it's airborne to me, I don't give a dang what the cdc or who says, it's airborne. jmo idk They are not and will not be trusted by me. jmo

That's not airborne, thats actually droplet transmission, which is already recognized as a method of spreading the virus.

By their technical definition, I agree. But this is precisely what I mean about them being disengeneous. They keep harping how it is not airborne, but then they do not point out how you can actually catch it through the air in some cases.

If I dip my gloved hand into a bucket of ebola feces and throw it across the room and it hits your face, that is contact transmission, even though the feces "went through the air." That does not make it airborne.

Yuck.........let me finish my toast. JMO

Well I'll just say this, if I am standing 3-5 feet from someone that has ebola and they sneeze and I get it, it's airborne to me, I don't give a dang what the cdc or who says, it's airborne. jmo idk They are not and will not be trusted by me. jmo
Thats all well and good but stating it as fact is spreading misinformation and you'll have to cite your sources. You are referring to droplet transmission, not airborne.

By their technical definition, I agree. But this is precisely what I mean about them being disengeneous. They keep harping how it is not airborne, but then they do not point out how you can actually catch it through the air in some cases.
Maybe you need to read up on what droplet transmission is then.

That's droplet transmission, and here is why it is important to differentiate:

Droplets are heavy and cannot travel far. That is where you get the "3 feet away" number because that's about as far as it can go. To the person infected, yeah, completely irrelevant. Airborne transmission can take place from much farther away and this would be absolutely DEVASTATING on a much grander scale if this were the case. It's important for us to know the difference between these terms as relates to worrying about whether or not we are going to be infected by a person merely by being in the same room or same plane and how public policy is determined. It IS an important difference.

That is airborne to me. :)

Matthew Keys just tweeted that WFAA-TV stated that the second healthcare worker to contract Ebola in Texas was not among workers previously examined.

wow....

On my phone so can't copy paste the tweet. @MatthewKeys

I just woke up and my sister told me the same thing.

All the regulars here who comment on the ebola thread KNOW that this stuff needs to be dumbed down for the majority of the population--they don't understand droplet, airborne, aerosolized, etc...

GMAB

ETA, I mean no disrespect by saying dumbed down.

I just woke up and my sister told me the same thing.

Please refer to post 689 to see how that statement is being completely misinterpreted.

Geez, this is like a bad game of "telephone."

IMO
The point is that the general public is uninformed and many will stay uninformed if we blindly trust the higher ups to give us accurate information. To us common folk, it is airborne and to not inform and completely educate the public is deceptive. Now, who it is up to to inform and educate the communities is another question.

JMO

We are just ignorant "Joe Schmoes" not worthy of explanations or clear definitions -- we should simply trust the medical professionals to handle it. :rolleyes:

I just meant that my sister heard another healthcare worker has Ebola now.

All the regulars here who comment on the ebola thread KNOW that this stuff needs to be dumbed down for the majority of the population--they don't understand droplet, airborne, aerosolized, etc...

GMAB

ETA, I mean no disrespect by saying dumbed down.

See, this is a good point though because the general public is lead to believe that you literally have to go touch someone or some thing of an infected person before you can catch it. That simply is not true.

Ive been watching + listening to the talking heads from the CDC and other officials, and it is very obvious their main job is to alleviate fear and panic and not necessarily tell the whole truth. That is what is upsetting.
I think they are doing more harm than good when they hide certain facts about this disease.
The more the public knows about it, the more careful we can be to avoid spreading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper