Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm....White House calling a press conference and Pres is cancelling his previous plans in light of another reported case of Ebola. Me thinks something more serious is up that we haven't yet been told about.

Per news conference:

She arrived in CLE on the 8th. She departed on the 13th. (Just wanted to clear that up.)

Someone asked: If there's no risk (because she wasn't symptomatic), why are they decontaminating everything?
Answer: We are taking advanced precautionary measures to make sure the public is safe.

When the stuff happening in Dallas starts happening in South America.

Then it is time to panic. Though perhaps U.S. HIPPA laws will prevent such news from reaching us. :)

How would US HIPAA laws prevent us from hearing news about any other country?

Not true. Maybe some have very very strong immune system. And then, how do you KNOW that more are not sick? Heck, how do you really KNOW anything they says true? I do believe it is airborne, depending on how seri vectors the affected person is.

I think the second nurse was well aware Duncan had Ebola, was well aware she should not be flying commercially and she did so TWICE. Unfortunately, the CDC can not control the irresponsible and reckless decisions made by people.

JMO

Hmmmm....White House calling a press conference and Pres is cancelling his previous plans in light of another reported case of Ebola. Me thinks something more serious is up.

He is showing he cares about us and he understands "our concerns", and he feels for the families of the nurses and most especially for Mr. Duncan's family.

Then he will say U.S. troops will make all of the difference, and then elaborate on how West Africa and the American People are one.

Does anyone have different expectations from that press conference?

When the stuff happening in Dallas starts happening in South America.

Then it is time to panic. Though perhaps U.S. HIPPA laws will prevent such news from reaching us. :)

This isn't being snarky but an honest question from someone who knows pretty much NIL in the medical field - why South America?

What will the airlines do if someone on an flight over the Atlantic starts vomitting and had loose bowels?There will be no way to make an emergency landing and no way to quarantine person and no hazmet suits for flight attendants.

That will get ugly really quickly.

Who did nurse 2 meet with regarding the wedding plans? Caterer, floral designer, seamstress, pastor?
I can't believe they didn't meet with anyone.

Here is something positive YOU can do to effect change in how this is being dealt with in our country.

Earlier today, I sent this email to President Obama at the White House and two both of my Pennsylvania U.S. Senators. These "leaders" need to hear from the citizens of the United States.

"Please, please urge our President to take immediate proactive action regarding this ebola situation. The CDC is daily losing credibility with the public. Obviously the Dallas hospital screwed things up.

Please appoint SOMEONE who is very credible to take charge of this situation NOW! Please establish quarantine NOW! Quarantine was used many times in U.S. history. My sister developed polio is 1945 and our home was quarantined. Yes, with the sign on the front door.

It is really difficult to watch the shilly shallying around that is currently taking place in our country. Please do what MUST be done NOW! Proactive action is needed NOW!

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXXX"

The more our legislators hear from citizens the better. Be advised that in order to send an email to the White House and to your U.S. Senator, you will need to disclose your name, address, email and phone number.

I have been writing to all of these for a number of years. The only result of disclosing the personal information is that you get emails and phone calls of solicitation.

I'm beginning to feel sick just reading this thread, but our president's concern makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Anyone want to lay odds on how many people cancel their flight?
Dang...I would. I'm thinking of cancelling my trip plans to England next month! Not really, but I am thinking about bringing along a face mask and wearing gloves on the plane - not that that would really protect me ...but maybe it would cut down the odds just in case!

This isn't being snarky but an honest question from someone who knows pretty much NIL in the medical field - why South America?

Because South America is connected by the same land, and if an epidemic hits there is no way of stopping or blocking the trouble that will ensue. At least that is what one of the top Generals in the U.S. Army thinks.

The military is far far more practical than the politicians or the media.

I agree also. They have nothing under control. They are winging it as they go. Dallas is a prime example of why there is good reason to panic. No one knows when or if this will become a huge epidemic. Panic is not always a bad thing. Panic can lead to logical thinking and planning. IMO

I can't speak for anybody else but when I panic, I react. No planning or logic involved. I think it is pretty silly to panic at this point. The latest cases don't involve anybody bringing the virus in to this county from another, it is involves two health care workers at a hospital. This news story is from 4 days ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/stepped-ebola-screening-starting-nyc-airport-26119769

"Already there are 100 percent of the travelers leaving the three infected countries are being screened on exit. Sometimes multiple times temperatures are checked along that process," Dr. Martin Cetron, director of the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine for the federal Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, said at a briefing at Kennedy.

Cetron added, "No matter how many procedures are put into place, we can't get the risk to zero."

The screening will be expanded over the next week to New Jersey's Newark Liberty, Washington Dulles, Chicago O'Hare and Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta."

Will one of you Texans let us know if a live stream is up when Amber is transferred? Supposed to happen today. Thanks! JMO

Because South America is connected by the same land, and if an epidemic hits there is no way of stopping or blocking the trouble that will ensue. At least that is what one of the top Generals in the U.S. Army thinks.

The military is far far more practical than the politicians or the media.

Perhaps... Then again, Africa is a huge continent and so far the outbreaks there are "contained" to around a half dozen countries there. What would make it spread faster from South America to Central and North America than it has in Africa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine