Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People are criticizing the photo of an isolation WARD at a hospital somwehere in N.C.
I would like to tell you that IF, and it's a big if right now, but if a communicable disease which requires hospitalization for treatment should occur. no matter what the name of the infectious disease is, this IS what an adult isolation ward looks like.
It is extremely appropriate to put people with the confirmed same diagnosis in a closed ward away from other patients if there are many of them to treat.

I absolutely do not think this will be a reality for the USA, but in all honesty, I'm a bit surprised that people can even question whether or not this is a real photo of how mass isolation would be carried out. You don't see the caregivers, you don't see the sick patients with IVs, etc. but as we know, some infectious diseases can only be treated with supportive care en masse' at the present time.
Also, I think it would be stunning to ever see people in beds like these in Africa. They leave them outdoors to die like wild animals.
IOW. Americans, count your blessings.

Like I said, there is no way that is in the US and according to this, it is in Lagos, Nigeria:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ebola_ward.jpg

PPE Procedures for Suspected Ebola Patients for Parkland Memorial Hospital. Doesn't seem like these procedures are enough to protect our health care professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GNKJL1_ejg

Seems like it would be safer to have as many layer of gloves as you do layers plus one. Here 3 to start seems like it would be better.
This video she starts with only 2 sets of gloves. First one comes off first thing. Followed by gown and boots. Last set of gloves comes off the normal way. Hands washed another set of gloves put on to take off safety glasses, bonnet and mask.
They need to spray them down once they get out b/c if this was real the bottoms of her pants and shoes could be contaminated. She did a pretty good job not having to touch her face to get any of it off but could particles be displaced and dropped off those items onto her clothing?

After watching all these how to take them off videos we need to have more protection for the Drs and nurses helping infected patients.

Instead of goggles, I would prefer face shield as well as N95 respirator. Too much skin of the face is exposed.

Like I said, there is no way that is in the US and according to this, it is in Lagos, Nigeria:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ebola_ward.jpgLike

The link says no jpg or file like this exists when I go there. What's the point?

What do non- medical people expect a basic hospital or possible military installation isolation ward to look like? Basic is basic. Wards are not a bad thing at all when the disease state reaches the point that there are not enough private isolation rooms. Put everyone with the same communicable disease in the same place.
It's not going to harm anyone. This is a basic survival technique.
The country is not known and it doesn't matter.

The link says no jpg or file like this exists when I go there. What's the point?

What do non- medical people expect a basic hospital or possible military installation isolation ward to look like? Basic is basic. Wards are not a bad thing at all when the disease state reaches the point that there are not enough private isolation rooms. Put everyone with the same communicable disease in he same place.
It's not going to harm anyone. This is a basic survival technique.
The country is not known and it doesn't matter.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ebola_ward.jpg

Fact:

A Liberian national brought this disease to the U.S. He received the best of care that the hospital had to offer him

A nurse that cared for him has now been infected. There's no way to know how much Ebola is going to spread in the U.S.

But, it's almost certain that it's going to keep spreading here in the U.S.

And now our worst nightmares are right in front of our eyes. Before 9/11, the U.S. thought we were impervious to terrorist attacks, after 9/11, our government assured us that no biological diseases would spread here in the U.S.

All lies. And now that the lies have been exposed, all we hear are that "We have this under control".

Seems unlikely.

Critical care credentials don't allow a one nurse to do anymore that another nurse. It is a certification course in critical care, a type of advanced training. Having the certification gives one an edge in the job market and may even add a differential to hourly salary.
This is not true in all centers.

LOL, they disabled comments on the video:)

The Parkland video was informative and it's no laughing matter. If anyone laughing can produce better, then get out the vid cam and go to work. Actually, I'd love to see those of you laughing work better than these two Parkland nurses are, because you'd be professionals at isolation technique.. which I doubt extremely much is the case.

The Parkland video was informative and it's no laughing matter. If anyone laughing can produce better, then get out the vid cam and go to work. Actually, I'd love to see those of you laughing work better than these two Parkland nurses are, because you'd be professionals at isolation technique.. which I doubt extremely much is the case.

You are right. It is no laughing matter. It.is.dead.serious.

The video was getting slammed right left and sideways by professionals. And if someone like me who has only been trained in aseptic technique could see the problems, it is a MESS

You are right. It is no laughing matter. It.is.dead.serious.

The video was getting slammed right left and sideways by professionals. And if someone like me who has only been trained in aseptic technique could see the problems, it is a MESS

Shaking my head at the arrogance. The first rule of professionalism in health care is to always strive for self- improvement.

The only real isolation technique is to STOP all incoming flights from West Africa. No matter how many airports these people route themselves through and how many checkpoints they try to dodge.

The only real isolation technique is to STOP all incoming flights from West Africa. No matter how many airports these people route themselves through and how many checkpoints they try to dodge.
Who are "these people"? Please cite examples of ppl from west Africa with ebola trying to sneak into other countries. Besides, arguably, Mr Duncan. I am aware of none.

Shaking my head at the arrogance. The first rule of professionalism in health care is to always strive for self- improvement.

IMO, it was arrogant to put out that video with all of the errors. Good Lord, at the end, she touches the OUTSIDE of the bonnet to her face. Hopefully they will take those comments to heart.

Now I am done talking about the video.

I wouldn't doubt that us hospitals would have ebola wards like this if it came down to it... Sounds like they have to throw everything away anyway.... Why have nice beds?

Agree, my only point was I doubted the photo was taken in the US and it turned out I was right.

Great news per CNN now Nina has been upgraded to good condition! JMO

I would like to point out that the hair covering used in the Parkland video is not designed for protection against fluids. It is used to contain long hair to keep it out of the way, not to protect hair from any exposure to airborne fluids as the material is a woven paper- fiber with an elasticized band holding it together. If anyone has ever had surgery or even day surgery, you've worn this same head covering in the pre- surgical holding area and maybe you remember it from PACU too. Nursery nurses also wear them to keep their hair covered.

I've never, not in over 35 yrs. ever used a head covering that was impermeable to body fluids because I've never had to do that type of contact isolation in ICU. The plastic waterproof head coverings aren't that common, and it may be that Parkland didn't have one readily available- that is, not in an Isolation Pack.

Who are "these people"? Please cite examples of ppl from west Africa with ebola trying to sneak into other countries. Besides, arguably, Mr Duncan. I am aware of none.

The CDC and all of the rest of the experts say there WILL be other cases. Are there any examples of experts saying there will not be other cases?

Great news per CNN now Nina has been upgraded to good condition! JMO

That is great news. She became symptomatic 4 days ago. The next week will be a critical time for her. I'm SO hoping that the plasma from Dr. Brantley will be a major factor in her recovery. Great for her, and good for the world to know if giving this plasma can make the difference. There are thousands of ebola survivors in West Africa. Wouldn't it be amazing if plasma from a survivor held the key to getting this thing under control?

The CDC and all of the rest of the experts say there WILL be other cases. Are there any examples of experts saying there will not be other cases?

JMO Lots of people seek treatment for diseases in other countries than their own. It is not about "sneaking". In Duncan's case, his trip was pre-planned. It was not for the purpose of getting treatment or "sneaking". Could we possibly be kind to one another in a global health crisis, and not look for scapegoats to blame and ostracize? Most of our species, just wants to live to see another day. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper