Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/transmission

airborne transmission
spread of infection by droplet nuclei or dust through the air. Without the intervention of winds or drafts the distance over which airborne infection takes place is short, say 10 to 20 feet.
I'm a medical professional with training in epidemiology and infection prevention and control. I'm also a front line provider in an Ebola unit. Please don't as a lay person tell me i am wrong. Like i said, if you want to claim it's airborne, cite sources. Otherwise its just hysteria.

It's my life on the line, not yours.

See, this is a good point though because the general public is lead to believe that you literally have to go touch someone or some thing of an infected person before you can catch it. That simply is not true.

Ive been watching + listening to the talking heads from the CDC and other officials, and it is very obvious their main job is to alleviate fear and panic and not necessarily tell the whole truth. That is what is upsetting.
I think they are doing more harm than good when they hide certain facts about this disease.
The more the public knows about it, the more careful we can be to avoid spreading it.

I agree. They are missing a MAJOR opportunity to educate the public.

If I dip my gloved hand into a bucket of ebola feces and throw it across the room and it hits your face, that is contact transmission, even though the feces "went through the air." That does not make it airborne.
:lol:Thanks for the laugh. :seeya:

Love that term "sheeple"

JMO

Seriously, they are not preparing or educating the medical community and hospitals sufficiently to handle ebola, so why should we expect the regular population to get any accurate information?
THIS needs to change, NOW.

JMO

See, this is a good point though because the general public is lead to believe that you literally have to go touch someone or some thing of an infected person before you can catch it. That simply is not true.

Ive been watching + listening to the talking heads from the CDC and other officials, and it is very obvious their main job is to alleviate fear and panic and not necessarily tell the whole truth. That is what is upsetting.
I think they are doing more harm than good when they hide certain facts about this disease.
The more the public knows about it, the more careful we can be to avoid spreading it.

I am not sure how many are going to trust what they are told now.

JMO "Known knowns and known unknowns.." How does that Rumsfeld quote go? Just tell us what you know and please tell us what you do not know....that's how I feel about it. I understand that this is an ongoing learning experience for everyone, including professionals. JMO

I'm a medical professional with training in epidemiology and infection prevention and control. I'm also a front line provider in an Ebola unit. Please don't as a lay person tell me i am wrong. Like i said, if you want to claim it's airborne, cite sources. Otherwise its just hysteria.

We thank you for being in the field of helping others.

Our lives (general public) are on the lines as well with this horrific disease.

Majority of the public are not medical professionals. When the CDC and our healthcare officials say not airborne we (lay people) will think we are safe unless we go touching someone with Ebola when that is clearly not true.

The duo each sniffed some snuff to muster up strong sneezes, but even those gargantuan gesundheits clocked in at less than 100 mph. Make that way less than 100 mph. Adam's achoo erupted at 35 mph, and Jamie barely beat him at 39 mph.

As for whether a sneeze can go the distance, neither MythBuster could break the 20-foot mark. Instead, Adam's and Jamie's flying phlegm landed 17 and 13 feet away, respectively.

So while sneezes still spew snot fast and far, the busted myth proves their much-advertised speed and distance stats are full of hot air.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/sneeze-travel-100-mph.htm

so the 3ft rule here would not be enough IMO!

Majority of the public are not medical professionals. When the CDC and our healthcare officials say not airborne we (lay people) will think we are safe unless we go touching someone with Ebola when that is clearly not true.
Again, droplet transmission.

I won't be offering my knowledge or experience to this thread any further.

It's my opinion that the medical professionals don't know everything about ebola so with that said I will stick to the thought that it is airborne to keep myself safe. jmo idk

» What is transmission by droplet contact?
Some diseases can be transferred by infected droplets contacting surfaces of the eye, nose, or mouth. This is referred to as droplet contact transmission. Droplets containing microorganisms can be generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. Droplets can also be generated during certain medical procedures, such as bronchoscopy. Droplets are too large to be airborne for long periods of time, and quickly settle out of air. Droplet transmission can be reduced with the use of personal protective barriers, such as face masks and goggles. Measles and SARS are examples of diseases capable of droplet contact transmission.

» What is airborne transmission?
Airborne transmission refers to situations where droplet nuclei (residue from evaporated droplets) or dust particles containing microorganisms can remain suspended in air for long periods of time. These organisms must be capable of surviving for long periods of time outside the body and must be resistant to drying. Airborne transmission allows organisms to enter the upper and lower respiratory tracts. Fortunately, only a limited number of diseases are capable of airborne transmission.

http://microbiology.mtsinai.on.ca/faq/transmission.shtml

If your post is personal toward another member do not post it.

We thank you for being in the field of helping others.

Our lives (general public) are on the lines as well with this horrific disease.

Exactly, and some seem to be more than others right now...like Dallas area at least for now. And the average jo schmoe did not choose to put their lives on the line but seem to have gotten this pushed down their throats.

Love that term "sheeple"

JMO

Seriously, they are not preparing or educating the medical community and hospitals sufficiently to handle ebola, so why should we expect the regular population to get any accurate information?
THIS needs to change, NOW.

JMO

Wait, who is they, CDC? Virginia has been giving the info out since the first week of August, with all health care workers. Of course it still falls upon each facility, but everyone has the information. jmo

Again, droplet transmission.

I won't be offering my knowledge or experience to this thread any further.

PLEASE STAY!!! I, for one need to and want to be educated as a layperson. It would have been helpful a long time ago if the airborne definition (medically) had been explained and drilled into us! We WANT the facts! Please stick around. Thanks. JMO

And sometimes "a little knowledge" can be a very dangerous thing -- especially among health care workers that they think have got this thing "all under control" (or did think so). Arrogance caused this mess in Dallas.

Why are the clean up crews wearing FULL PPE SUITS while the healthcare workers are NOT? Cause the clean up companies/crews don't CLAIM to be experts on the transmission of deadly diseases! And the staff is NOT going to haggle over the definition of airborne!

JMO "Known knowns and known unknowns.." How does that Rumsfeld quote go? Just tell us what you know and please tell us what you do not know....that's how I feel about it. I understand that this is an ongoing learning experience for everyone, including professionals. JMO

It has been interesting to watch how when the professional talking heads first came on the news a few weeks ago to what they are now saying. They are slowly changing their tunes. And finally other experts have gone on the news to give differeing opinions in some cases.

I think sometimes they just dont understand that generally people can handle the truth and just want the truth.
There is no need to white wash something that truly is horrific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper