Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The CDC is still being "wishy-washy". It should say all people who die from ebola must be cremated immediately. Period. End of discussion.

I have to totally agree with you on this.

Here we go again with instead of being precautious and not taking a chance of infected bodily fluids entering the drinking water table, lets just take a risk it and allow regular ground buriels.

There is absolutely no common sense it seems. Good Grief again.

I know some religions may take issue with cremation, but when a world-wide emergency hits, certain things MUST happen. Even the people of those religiouns would understand this.

I agree it does but we don't need funeral home people also getting infected they have families too.. And to another poster yes embalming is always done unless it's a cremation.. Can't embalming ebola folks as their blood etc would be highly contagious.. My son in law works for a funeral home and said if they get an ebola death he's quitting.. Not worth the risk.

Embalming would be out of the question. But burial vs. cremation can result in religious issues. Funeral Homes are private businesses (and pretty up to date) so they could refuse customers as needed, but a mandate saying "cremation" could be a problem.

Thanks. Didn't know Germ-X made wipes. Think about how many actively sick people go to drugstore from doctors office for medicine. The pen/stylus thing dawned on me a few years ago when I was in a drugstore, from the ER getting prescriptions filled for strep throat. I was concerned about infecting the next person who came along.

There are antifungal wipes and foam that I bought my sons while in wrestling. They actually work better than Clorox & Germ-X wipes and fight various bacterial & viral skin to skin infections. I'm wondering if the CDC is looking into that as a precaution for people traveling for personal use.

Did I miss something? Has it been reported that she felt ill in Cleveland and flew home feeling ill? I agree that she knew she was possibly exposed before she left Texas........so it was unconscionable that she would use mass transit, but if she was not symptomatic on the flight then hopefully no one was exposed. JMO

No, you haven't missed anything. Right now it is just a worry that given the odd behavior of traveling to begin with after being told to self isolate, there could be a concern that she is not being honest about when her symptoms began.

What I want to know is: Why is ANYONE who had any contact with Duncan (or contact with someone who had contact with him) FLYING (Drivng/out in public, etc.)?????? WHY are they not in isolation?? This isn't rocket science. And if it is, I must be a genius!

My thoughts exactly! I am livid!

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/14-october-2014/en/

Are the Ebola outbreaks in Nigeria and Senegal over?
Ebola situation assessment - 14 October 2014

snipped

In Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone, new cases continue to explode in areas that looked like they were coming under control. An unusual characteristic of this epidemic is a persistent cyclical pattern of gradual dips in the number of new cases, followed by sudden flare-ups. WHO epidemiologists see no signs that the outbreaks in any of these 3 countries are coming under control.

WHO recommendations for testing for Ebola virus disease and confirming a case:

WHO is alarmed by media reports of suspected Ebola cases imported into new countries that are said, by government officials or ministries of health, to be discarded as “negative” within hours after the suspected case enters the country.

Such rapid determination of infection status is impossible, casting grave doubts on some of the official information that is being communicated to the public and the media.

For early detection of Ebola virus in suspected or probable cases, detection of viral ribonucleic acid (RNA) or viral antigen are the recommended tests.

Laboratory-confirmed cases must test positive for the presence of the Ebola virus, either by detection of viral RNA by RT-PCR, and/or by detection of Ebola antigen by a specific Antigen detection test, and/or by detection of immunoglobulin M (IgM) antibodies directed against Ebola.

Two negative RT-PCR test results, at least 48 hours apart, are required for a clinically asymptomatic patient to be discharged from hospital, or for a suspected Ebola case to be discarded as testing negative for the virus.

Laboratory results should be communicated to WHO as quickly as possible, in addition to reporting under the requirements and within the timelines set out in the International Health Regulations, which are administered by WHO.

There are antifungal wipes and foam that I bought my sons while in wrestling. They actually work better than Clorox & Germ-X wipes and fight various bacterial & viral skin to skin infections. I'm wondering if the CDC is looking into that as a precaution for people traveling for personal use.
Antifugal wipes? WHERE DO I GET THESE? NEED!

Embalming would be out of the question. But burial vs. cremation can result in religious issues. Funeral Homes are private businesses (and pretty up to date) so they could refuse customers as needed, but a mandate saying "cremation" could be a problem.

Totally agree I myself don't believe in cremation but from what I read even some villages in Africa that didn't believe in cremation due to religion are now embracing it for the better good.. People will do what they have to do.. I wouldn't want to put others at risk.. But I guess time will tell on that issue.

Just to add.. What's really scary to me are all these people in Africa that were declared dead and then to come to a couple days later.. It would suck to have been burned or buried alive.. Which probably happened more times than anyone would like to know.. :gasp::gasp:

They need to get to work screening blood over there in WA and find folks who can donate.

Okay, I'm having an Alzheimer's moment. Besides Emory and Nebraska, where are the other 2 biocontainment units?

http://time.com/3507798/ebola-atlanta-nebraska-cdc/

Ebola Advice From Atlanta and Nebraska Doctors Fails to Ease Fears
Alexandra Sifferlin @acsifferlin
Oct. 14, 2014

snipped

A phone conference Tuesday for Emory University and University of Nebraska officials to share what they had learned had little relevance for some smaller hospitals

It’s plain to see why patients with Ebola in countries like Liberia have been evacuated to these two hospitals. But for hospitals without these kinds of resources — that is, the vast majority of them—the lessons bear little relevance. “I really appreciate this helpful information, but practically speaking, I think what you just described would probably bankrupt our hospital,” said a health care professional from Southern California during the call.

BBM

That has strong religious/political implications (Hassidic burial requirements are one example).

Actually it's not just Hassidics who don't embalm. Most Jew don't even if they aren't overly religious.

Two negative RT-PCR test results, at least 48 hours apart, are required for a clinically asymptomatic patient to be discharged from hospital, or for a suspected Ebola case to be discarded as testing negative for the virus.

Yeah IMO that 48 hours between tests seems very worrisome. To me it implies the test is NOT very accurate.

Has anyone told the Ebola Virus or the human immune system that they need to show a positive test result within 2 days?

@FOX4: #Breaking #DallasEbola @texashealth actively consulting with Emory University Hospital about possibly transferring 2nd Ebola patient

http://time.com/3507798/ebola-atlanta-nebraska-cdc/

Ebola Advice From Atlanta and Nebraska Doctors Fails to Ease Fears
Alexandra Sifferlin @acsifferlin
Oct. 14, 2014

snipped

A phone conference Tuesday for Emory University and University of Nebraska officials to share what they had learned had little relevance for some smaller hospitals

It’s plain to see why patients with Ebola in countries like Liberia have been evacuated to these two hospitals. But for hospitals without these kinds of resources — that is, the vast majority of them—the lessons bear little relevance. “I really appreciate this helpful information, but practically speaking, I think what you just described would probably bankrupt our hospital,” said a health care professional from Southern California during the call.

BBM

Then the smaller hospitals should not even try to take ebola patients imo

Antifugal wipes? WHERE DO I GET THESE? NEED!

Any wrestling supply store or some specialty sports stores. One sec, I'll look around. They dry your skin out so my sons only use them during wrestling season. Most of the wrestling venues we attend stopped using Clorox soap water mixture to mop down mats and started using an anti fungal cleanser that works better. I have no idea if it would even be a factor in a case like this but thought I'd bring it up just in case. The anti fungal cleanser has bleach in it, but also has other stuff as well I think. One thing I do know is that it kills more viruses than bleach & soapy water.

ETA - This is just one example, but there's foam for mats and floors, sprays, etc. Clorox is great, of course, just sometimes something else may be needed for skin as a precautionary measure. Here's the link:
http://www.mywrestlingroom.com/defense-body-wipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members