Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Staffing maybe.

74 health care workers are on paid furlough. More are threatening to walk out per tweets I've read.

Nurses are speaking out about the inadequate equipment and lack of proper training.

They honestly might not have enough people to provide care for Nina.

And they should have real concerns about whether or not they've cleaned well enough to get rid of the virus. moo

M
Betcha that's it!

Isabelle, in your history of nursing, have you ever handled a quarantined patient? I'm wondering the protocol for removing protective gear. Is it similar to what decontamination rooms are like in nuclear power plants where there's sprayers and such? Are items hosed or sprayed down in a separate room adjoining quarantine, then removed before exiting that room?

I have cared for patients in reverse isolation who for some reason have a very weak or non existent immune system. I've cared for HIV and TB patients also. No hospital I ever worked at had any decontamination system. I have worked at just about every hospital in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, LA.

Ebola is a whole new ballgame. We may soon see one hospital caring for these patients and there will be no other type of patients in that hospital.

I have a question. There is now a provision on Amazon.com to donate a portion of what we purchase to a charity. I looked at their entire list and selected Doctors Without Borders, U.S.A.
All the charities except WWF seem to be U.S.A. centric.

Will what I donate to DWB USA go to the international relief or not? I have no way to know, and although I support their efforts in the USA on principle, it's the international group which needs whatever we can give- and I am wondering if what I buy on Amazon.com will help them. Does anyone know?

I hope the govt makes an exception for these students' absences if any are in the public school system which has mandatory in-school time. Hopefully that can do work online? Plastic protectors can be used for keyboards. If they don't have comps then maybe some could be donated.

A lot of school systems have virtual schools these days, so hopefully they can set the kids up with that for now.

I really think the care of these patients and anyone else who becomes ill and suspected to have Ebola needs to be centralized. This is the best way to keep rigid protocol in use. Everyone will be on the same page and we won't have caregivers wrapping tape around their necks, WTF!!!

Am afraid Ebola will become the New World plague.

I really think the care of these patients and anyone else who becomes ill and suspected to have Ebola needs to be centralized. This is the best way to keep rigid protocol in use. Everyone will be on the same page and we won't have caregivers wrapping tape around their necks, WTF!!!

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that too.

What do you guys think this means? Her condition is still listed as good . . . why would they think of moving her?

CNN reported earlier the Dallas hospital is concerned that their nurses may walk out over workplace safety.

I'm not worried about the USA becoming a country riddled with a plague of Ebola, and---I'm not sure that our civil liberties allow for a provision of taking people from their hometowns, relatives, friends, etc and putting them in a facility somewhere. However, as I commented on the basic and empty hospital isolation ward photo a day or two ago, it really makes a lot of sense to have a large group of people with the same confirmed virus in the same place with a set of caregivers.

Which city in the USA would want to be the " host city" and host hospitals to this sort of thing, though?
I personally think that if such a thing should be set up and made mandatory, it should be Atlanta because the CDC can help get supplies in and medications in... the suburbs of Atlanta are home to all my living relatives except one. So, I am not saying it lightly but because I think Atlanta has so many superb hospitals with excellent bedside nurses and management. And I have a feeling that they would rise to the challenge after having worked there. :)

Key words here are "blood transfusion". Plasma aka FFP is not a blood transfusion because the blood has been filtered out. Wrong type blood transfusion can lead to death because of antigen-antibody reaction. Antigens are only on the red blood cells, not in the liquid portion which is plasma.mtyping and matching is nice but not necessary for plasma, except in case of a pregnant woman.

Rh factors not matching won't harm patient expect for the baby of a pregnant woman? Is there an Rh factor in plasma?

he CDC is considering putting 76 health care workers at Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas hospital on the TSA's no-fly list, an official familiar with the situation said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

How are you doing Gypsy? That stuff (Nyquil) was a childhood trauma! Took it once it SOOOO messed me up!!!!!!!Let us know you are ok!!!!!!

Aiive, breathing, not on a balcony somewhere, walking down the street on your hands. or having a serious conversation with one of your doorknobs!!!!!!
LOL! I am okay...but it is not putting me to sleep like I thought it would! I picked up a cold/flu somewhere and am just lounging in bed looking at Pinterest and Websleuths - not sleeping! Hubby out of town so I'm just having strange conversations with two kittens on my bed! Sorry about your Nyquil childhood trauma!

And , if you think about it it makes sense. All viruses go for RNA/DNA. I would think that since they determine everything about the next human they make(!) that there is a lot of RNA/DNA in semen.

Althourgh media keeps wanting to make this different from HIV, IMO it is not - its just a different model. HIV has not gone airborne in decades, Ebola has been identifued since 76. That Malburg one has been around for ages - apparently it takes alot of transmissions for it to mutate.

HIV transmission is from contact wiht body fluids, so is this, IMO. And that too, makes sense, a virus cant thrive in "places" where DN/RNA are not - they love DNA?RNA its what keeps em going
IMO

Have no clue what this means just wanted to do the RNA/DNA connection:

chose two RNA targets that can bind to the same capture-strand DNA but have ...

[h=1]Recovery of Infectious Ebola Virus from Complementary DNA: RNA Editing of the GP Gene and Viral Cytotoxicity[/h]http://www.sciencemag.org/content/291/5510/1965.short

Clearly this spreads more easily than HIV though, if 2 people were infected just by taking care of him. Plenty of people have taken care of HIV infected patients without getting infected and you don't even have to use any precautions beyond universal precautions even with a patient in AIDS status.

Hah! They provided inaccurate information and got caught out on it. First they said the ER nurse never asked Patient Duncan if he had traveled. Next they said oh, no, she asked and entered the information but there was a glitch in our computer system that the ER doc could not access the nursing screen to see the information. After that, a third story was put out. That indeed the information was there and the doctor could have accessed it. They just never went on to say "The ER doc just never bothered to look at the information".

I have also never been told exactly why Mr. Duncan was given antibiotics at that ER visit. So, this hospital CEO in his statement is doing a whole lot of praying, I see, but not really offering anything above what he absolutely has to. He is also saying the nurses were provided with appropriate PPE.

Giving antibiotics just allows more room for a virus to grow, awful.

Google is worldwide yet all of the google first page hits are here in the USA. Could that be bc other nations have their borders blocked whereas ours are open? This is a legitimate question. People fly all over the world. When the Boston Marathon bombing went down, there were alot of Us as well as Russian & Turkey hits. I know bc I was right on it at the very beginning as the hits were popping up on Google & Bing. It's not like that with this. Almost all of the links are American based. That's weird to me considering there are many o nations that utilize the Internet with Google being the go to search engine. No Russia, no France, not even Germany. Belgium doesn't even pop up and that was Duncan's first layover.

Dallas HHS no longer listening to CDC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8tIyRphs4w

Woo hoo! I have to say that the press conference I saw on FOX News yesterday morning was a refreshing reminder of the honesty needed for our society to effectively handle problems such a Ebola. When the press asked tough questions they didn't get cover your *advertiser censored* spin, they got the raw truth. A complete about face from the way this outbreak was first handled by the Powers that Be. I hope that the folks in Dallas have broken free of the Washington spin doctors and are truly doing their best to keep the public informed, politics be damned. CDC was covering their butts without regard for the suffering of current and future casualties of the Ebola Virus.

I'm proud to be a Texan. CDC 'ya wouldn't wanna be 'ya! [emoji40]]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what Cuyahoga County (where Cleveland is) just sent out through anyone signed up for their notification system. No, not freaked out at all....:scared:

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/ebola-factsheet.pdf

This seems a bit outdated. It states that the natural reservoir is unknown, but I was under the impression that there is now a fairly high degree of certainty that some fruit bat species have been identified as the reservoir. Spillover, by David Quammen, discusses the hunt for the reservoir. Engrossing stuff! He just published the Ebola chapters as a standalone ebook. It is the same price as the full book, which seems a bit ridiculous, but it has apparently been updated. I've raved about the book on here before; I just bought my mom a copy.

Here is a WHO link: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

I used to think the CDC was hot stuff. Talk about fallen idols...

This seems a bit outdated. It states that the natural reservoir is unknown, but I was under the impression that there is now a fairly high degree of certainty that some fruit bat species have been identified as the reservoir. Spillover, by David Quammen, discusses the hunt for the reservoir. Engrossing stuff! He just published the Ebola chapters as a standalone ebook. It is the same price as the full book, which seems a bit ridiculous, but it has apparently been updated. I've raved about the book on here before; I just bought my mom a copy.

Here is a WHO link: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

I used to think the CDC was hot stuff. Talk about fallen idols...

Its better information than the Ohio Dept of Health might provide.

Google is worldwide yet all of the google first page hits are here in the USA. Could that be bc other nations have their borders blocked whereas ours are open? This is a legitimate question. People fly all over the world. When the Boston Marathon bombing went down, there were alot of Us as well as Russian & Turkey hits. I know bc I was right on it at the very beginning as the hits were popping up on Google & Bing. It's not like that with this. Almost all of the links are American based. That's weird to me considering there are many o nations that utilize the Internet with Google being the go to search engine. No Russia, no France, not even Germany. Belgium doesn't even pop up and that was Duncan's first layover.

Astute observation. Isn't WebSleuths great? I sit here n my hubby's easy chair while the family is sleeping yet I have the privilege of seeing this situation from your point of view, wherever you are, whoever you are. Who is messing with Internet freedom? Who isn't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member