Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:therethere: I know Lyra. While I've been so hyper focused on what's going on right here in Dallas, it's good to stop and remember there have been thousands and thousands of sweet people that are grieving, families torn apart etc. My prayers and hopes go out to each and every one. So many have and are living through hell on earth.

Well I have just watched a short film on BBC Newsnight showing interviews with families in WA affected by Ebola. It made me cry.

Children who have been orphaned, a woman who lost her husband, sister and brother in law. She is now alone with no income and seven children to try and care for (her own plus her sister's).

A woman who said she had lost her husband, all her worldly goods had been burned. They took her husband away in a body bag - she wanted to take a picture so she at least had that to show their children, but for some reason she was not allowed. So they took him away and that was it. She went home and cried in her empty house.

A woman who had lost her husband and was now completely ostracised, so no friends to help her through her bereavement.

Terrible.

Some folks will panic no matter what public officials say or do. I still have memories of all the doom and gloom that surrounded Y2K.
Indeed. Which is why their bungled attempt to forestall it was worse than a wasted effort.

Even the most level headed people become hypervigilant if they lose trust in the message or the people guiding the ship.

Yeah, really crazy. I had images of nurses pulling tape off their necks repeatedly, each time tearing off skin and providing a really good entry point for virus.

The head of that nurses union is the one who gave that info. SMH

I'd be nervous if I lived in Dallas I guess, but I don't and really I'm quite the recluse...so no panic here. But I do feel badly for anyone who thinks that they may have had contact with Duncan, Nina or Amber. THAT is scary. JMO

I do wonder if when she called CDC,she TOLD them that she was an IC nurse who had cared for Duncan....or did she just mention that she had a fever (low). ??? What kind of goofball was on the other end of the line? JMO

Durham’s Chimerix gets approval to test drug on Ebola patients

Durham drug developer Chimerix said it has received fast-track federal approval to start testing an experimental antiviral drug on people infected with the Ebola virus disease.

The company is well-stocked with the drug, having about 23,000 treatment courses “warehoused and ready to ship to combat an epidemic,” analyst Daniel Brims of Cantor Fitzgerald wrote in his research note Thursday. That quantity corresponds to enough medicine to treat 23,000 infected people

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/16/4238434_durhams-chimerix-gets-fda-approval.html?rh=

Or!.................................Admin is saying lets just run !

Staffing issues behind move-
@janetstjames: BREAKING: family confirms #Ebola nurse Nina Pham will be moved. sources say it's because of staffing.

My guess is Amber had her plans made and was excited to go back home to Ohio and plan her wedding and thought it highly unlikely that she had the virus.Maybe she felt not quite right, popped some ibprophen and felt alittle better.
This is why self monitoring is a joke! If healthcare professionals who know better( Nancy Sneiderman comes to mind),won't self impose quarantine,why would we think a lay person would?
Plus the fact that she (and the other nurses who worked on Duncan) was put in the "Low Risk" group by The People Who Determine These Things. :eek:hdear:

Why would she fly with a fever? Permission or not from the CDC? She closely treated Duncan. I just don't understand her reasoning - that's all. She had a fever. Was she in denial about possibly having Ebola?

TV2 KSU @TV2KSU · 1h 1 hour ago

KSU Spokesman would not confirm that Berry is one of Vinson's relatives asked to self-monitor symptoms for possible exposure.

Speaking of vaccines, there was actually an "Ask me Anything" type thread on reddit not too long ago (before the US cases though) by a young guy who was participating in the trial. I will see if I can dig it up in a bit (maybe others here who use reddit remember this as well?). It was quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do wonder if when she called CDC,she TOLD them that she was an IC nurse who had cared for Duncan....or did she just mention that she had a fever (low). ??? What kind of goofball was on the other end of the line? JMO

I do wonder if the flight she was on was scheduled and I wonder and this is a stretch, (I go out there sometimes) if she called the cdc to say she was fevered and wanted to go someplace other than dallas, and they said it was ok to fly to dallas. jmo idk somethings got me scratching my head.

Why would she fly with a fever? Permission or not from the CDC? She closely treated Duncan. I just don't understand her reasoning - that's all. She had a fever. Was she in denial about possibly having Ebola?

I think she was in denial.....the alternative was too awful to think about. UGH JMO

Because the CDC told her it was ok.

According to this article the people who worked with Duncan have been told not to use public transportation. Isn't an airplane public transportation?? (that's a sarcastic question.) http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metr...logist-is-among-those-potentially-exposed.ece

Some of the health care workers being monitored are being furloughed, but others have continued to work, depending on the level of their exposure. None are allowed to use public transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnid