Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, yeah. Is this a secret? The fact that this illness is both contact and droplet transmission has been well publicized.

I find it hard to believe this virus isn't in, excuse the street jarjon, snot that is spewed when an infected person sneezes.

Andrea McCarren ‏@AndreaMcCarren 10m10 minutes ago
With all the #ebola concerns, I found this informative. Hope you do too. @wusa9 #FactsNotFear
B0HbSTdIIAA2S5i.png

Thank you for this. Although they are saying that she, Amber Vinson, did not have the typical symptoms. Not even when she was diagnosed when she returned to Dallas.
Conflicting information is causing everyone to get stressed- I am not going to use the word panic . The word panic makes me think of someone running down the street screaming ripping their clothes off for no reason, totally out of control. this is imo justified concern, when one reliable source says one thing and another says something else.

I understand this, and it is a good point. However, I'd like to be clear on another point. I realize that the 'trajectory of contagion' is different with flu having high risk when a person is pre-symptomatic, and ebola having, perhaps, highest risk at the time of death. And, I realize that a cold or flu is apt to attack the respiratory system, which creates droplet transmission, and that Ebola does not particularly attack the respiratory system. With these two points understood, would it be accurate to say, using the medical definition of 'airborne transmission' that: "Ebola does not have airborne transmission, just as colds or flu do not have airborne transmission." That's the understanding that I've gotten, and frankly, it's not nearly as comforting as it should be.

Why not? Colds and flus can be really "sneezy," thus much more droplet contamination being produced. Ebola is not.

What we should be really afraid of with ebola is vomit and diarrhea, and later, blood. These are what seem to be the most dangerous.

We have our own little science experiment going in Dallas, Texas. Who has shown up ill in a relatively short time? Contacts who were exposed to "droplets," or contacts who were exposed to massive amounts of diarrhea, vomit, and blood?

To be safe I think we need to add more Level 4 biocontainment beds in current centers or create new centers. Let's guestimate how many more beds we think should be built now, knowing that the situation is only getting worse in W Africa and the initial errors here in US.

If we have a total of 8 to 13 (?) beds now I will say we may need 100 beds total to be created now even if no one else gets ebola from this current incident at Tx Presb Hospital. If we, God forbid find a community exposure occurs with positive tests, soon or later, I will say create 300 beds.

What do you think?

*Earlier I was thinking 19 beds but that's 19 general isolation centers I think.

I find it hard to believe this virus isn't in, excuse the street jarjon, snot that is spewed when an infected person sneezes.

Is anyone saying it ISN'T? That's what droplet transmission is usually referring to.

But this is not a virus which attacks the respiratory system. Why are people focusing so much on droplets when clearly the major risk is in vomit, blood, and diarrhea? And those fluids are produced in huge volumes vs. nasopharyngeal excretions.

Must not have been bleeding from all orifices so no ebola

In his 60s? SO would an older person, possibly in bad health , maybe a bad heart **speculative** live as long with Ebola? Long enough to ' bleed out'? Might he have had the virus but when he got a high fever , his heart gave out or something like that? I can't believe they looked at him and determined no ebola without a test. What am I missing or is this article very poorly written and leaving out some important info ?

WPXI news my local announced and showed that 2 of our big hospital are getting ready just in case!
Allegheny General Hospital and UPMC Presby
Pittsburgh PA

Further info from link
After some comments by confused readers, Mr. Tolar offered clarification on the difference between spreading the virus and being contagious yourself.

“I said spread, the virus, I did not say you were contagious. What I meant by this, was the summation of two concepts. The first concept is that of a fomite. We have established that the virus can survive for an unspecified amount of time outside the host, and we have established that sneezing/coughing is a perfectly logical method of transmission. So if patient A is infectious/contagious, they sneeze on patient B, but then patient B goes home and picks up their sister’s 1 6 month old, who rubs his face and drools all over your shoulder, he could very well have just orally consumed large quantities of the virus, therefore becoming patient C. Patient B never got sick, the virus never entered their system, yet they are responsible for spreading the virus to someone else.”

“The second concept of this is defining ‘symptom’. Lets assume it means anything other than your baseline condition. That means the first signs of being contagious, are also the more mild symptoms. Flu season is upon us. The initial stages of Ebola are like the flu, and it’s human nature to be in denial, so many people, if infected, would hope it’s just the flu and wait it out. They are not showing symptoms indicative of Ebola, but they ARE symptomatic of something and therefore, by the CDC definition, would be contagious. It’s also normal procedure for people to be symptomatic BEFORE seeking medical care, so technically, everyone will be contagious, BEFORE knowing they have Ebola.”

Well, yeah. Is this a secret? The fact that this illness is both contact and droplet transmission has been well publicized.

The GOOD thing about ebola in this context is than in general, this is not a "sneezy" illness. In Duncan's case, he may indeed have had a sinusitis which might have included respiratory secretions. Haven't heard whether or not that is the case.

Good, glad someone in the higher up had the balls to call 'em out. They are being misleading and in turn leading their health care workers to just have faith in some old medical data that has been proven inaccurate in more recent years.

I have a friend who is director of infection control in a large hospital. She told me tonight that she had worked with the CDC for 22 years and knew they were wrong. She said they have a plan and it was one they designed and tested themselves. They have ordered and tested the suits and have also gotten pappers (sp.) that will allow them to breathe and not sweat so much. She said they are ready.

I also have a friend whose nephew is in the same class as the kids that were on the plane with Amber. His mother is a nurse at Scott and White and lives in Belton. She is in a panic.

My son is also director of ER at a large hospital in Tennessee. He told me today to avoid crowds and people that are sick. He said not to forget these nurses were taking care of a very sick patient. He also told me to trust in the Lord which I do. We can beat this. jmo

Barclay_Berdan.jpg

07/28/2014
Longtime Executive Takes Helm of
Largest Health System in North Texas, Effective Sept. 1

The board recognized that Barclay Berdan has a unique combination of attributes,” said Bass. “He is a forward-thinking visionary with a personally-engaging leadership style. He brings a well-rounded perspective and unique leadership strengths to the CEO position. At the same time, he represents stability and continuity that will be critical to advancing our strategy as we confront the challenges of a rapidly changing health care environment. He is a true servant-leader who fosters a spirit of collaboration and sets high expectations of performance for every person in the organization.”

Education

BS (Both kinds!)
Texas Christian University
Master's Degree
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
MBA
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business

http://www.texashealth.org/body.cfm?id=1629&action=detail&ref=1845

Don't blame me, lol. I'm just the messenger.

Actually, a few years ago I read "What I Saw At The Revolution" by Peggy Noonan who was a speechwriter for Reagan and before that worked for CBS during the Watergate years. Really good book if you like politics, etc. But the phone number was in that book. The book is like 20 years old so I thought hey, I wonder if it's the same number still, probably not. So I called it, and it was, and when the switchboard operator said "Good afternoon, White House" I was so freaked out I just hung up. I'm such a dork.

LOL, you are probably on the NSA list now.

To be safe I think we need to add more Level 4 biocontainment beds in current centers or create new centers. Let's guestimate how many more beds we think should be built now, knowing that the situation is only getting worse in W Africa and the initial errors here in US.

If we have a total of 19 beds now I will say we may need 100 beds total to be created now even if no one else gets ebola from this current incident at Tx Presb Hospital. If we, God forbid find a community exposure occurs with positive tests, soon or later, I will say create 300 beds.

ITA and have posted that hopefully planning is underway. IIRC, we don't have 19 beds now. I posted an article that one of the four don't have the staff to take care of a "full ward" and another has used some of the patient rooms in the unit for a dedicated lab and an equipment room.

Here at the WHite House we want to offer the highest level of custumer satisfaction. If you are calling to speak to the maid press1. If you are calling to speak to East WIng press 2 If you are calling for the Oval Office press 3 If you are calling to speak to Michele press 4 If you calling to speak with the receptioist press 5 If you are calling to speak to the interior designer press 6 I f you are calling to speak to the President press 7
then *
After the beep push 4
after three beeps , two buzzers and gong like sound push 8
Ty for calling, your current hold time is your next birthday!

No -Sorry We Are All Out To Lunch....Or Sorry We Are On Vacation????

Ya Know what...I do not want our Military going anywhere near W Africa until these WHO and CDC Morans figures out the what they can't figure out....about Ebola

BTW, did any of you who watched the video of Nina in the hospital take note of the PPG her nurse was wearing?

I wonder if it is hard for Nina to look at her and contrast it to what SHE was wearing when she took care of Mr. Duncan.

:(

Is anyone saying it ISN'T? That's what droplet transmission is usually referring to.

But this is not a virus which attacks the respiratory system. Why are people focusing so much on droplets when clearly the major risk is in vomit, blood, and diarrhea? And those fluids are produced in huge volumes vs. nasopharyngeal excretions.

N
I understand the risk in vomit, blood and diarrhea. Portal of entry would have to be skin or mucus membranes (mouth, nose, eyes). To enter mouth, nose or eyes would require touch contact (caregivers own hands) or splashing. Has it been stated that the virus has been found in saliva?

This virus does not enter and attack the respiratory system?

Why not? Colds and flus can be really "sneezy," thus much more droplet contamination being produced. Ebola is not.

What we should be really afraid of with ebola is vomit and diarrhea, and later, blood. These are what seem to be the most dangerous.

We have our own little science experiment going in Dallas, Texas. Who has shown up ill in a relatively short time? Contacts who were exposed to "droplets," or contacts who were exposed to massive amounts of diarrhea, vomit, and blood?

Texas is a different scenario. Isn't diarrhea, vomit and blood bodily fluids? That would, by reason and logic, include saliva and spit. So if a person with Ebola coughs in my face and saliva, spit goes into my mouth or eye or open paper cut on my hand - I would be exposed to Ebola. CDC says not "airborne" - I agree with scientific def of this word, no proof at this time but it is airborne in the sense that a droplet can fly, be coughed, be spit through the air.

BTW, did any of you who watched the video of Nina in the hospital take note of the PPG her nurse was wearing?

I wonder if it is hard for Nina to look at her and contrast it to what SHE was wearing when she took care of Mr. Duncan.

:(

The whistleblower did say they had that after the first couple of days. Which was too late for Nina and Amber:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw