Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric King @EricKingNBC5 · 36s36 seconds ago

Nurse-infectious team told doctor it would be ok to go from room w/#dallasebola patient into another w/out disinfecting herself #breaking

Nrdsb4 (our friendly nurse regular) is going to have a coronary when she reads that!

This last bit, about a DOCTOR doing that? That is just plain sad and has to be somewhat heartbreaking for the medical folks on the forum that really believed medical professionals knew better.

At this point it seems likely will be quite a FEW more folks infected from that hospital.

As I understand it, Freiden is saying no flying with any fever + exposure. His staffer had a guideline that 100.4 was the point that restricted flying.

** Warning Graphic Video**
I have been thinking about this scene I saw a few years ago on the tv show Trauma: Life in the ER. It's filmed inside actual emergency rooms. It's NOT about ebola. It is about accidental contamination. If you don't want to watch it all, scroll to 3:30 or so. The doctor accidentally sticks herself through her gloves with a needle she has been working on the patient with. She immediately leaves the scene and goes to scrub up and after this clip is over, she took an HIV test and waited , very worried,for her results. All this ebola talk has reminded me of this little scene and how very easily all of your skill , knowledge and protective gear can be for NAUGHT if you have one tiny little missed step of a fraction of an inch or your hand is not where you thought it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2n7H-8o5GI

As I understand it, Freiden is saying no flying with any fever + exposure. His staffer had a guideline that 100.4 was the point that restricted flying.

The silly thing about what happened was it appears she told them she had a temperature increase. So that means hers was going UP. On a flight that could have taken up to 2 hours by time she boarded, taxied, landed, and deplayned, logic sense would indicate her temperature could have gone up even further.

Where was the common sense. Out the window I suppose.

** Warning Graphic Video**
I have been thinking about this scene I saw a few years ago on the tv show Trauma: Life in the ER. It's filmed inside actual emergency rooms. It's NOT about ebola. It is about accidental contamination. If you don't want to watch it all, scroll to 3:30 or so. The doctor accidentally sticks herself through her gloves with a needle she has been working on the patient with. She immediately leaves the scene and goes to scrub up and after this clip is over, she took an HIV test and waited , very worried,for her results. All this ebola talk has reminded me of this little scene and how very easily all of your skill , knowledge and protective gear can be for NAUGHT if you have one tiny little missed step of a fraction of an inch or your hand is not where you thought it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2n7H-8o5GI

Right. The risks of this disease is just too great to treat it lightly. The consequences of any mistake can be death for you and others.

Hypothetical Question for the posters here:

Let's imagine this situation gets out of hand and outbreaks DO occur in various areas. Imagine the authorities send out a bulletin saying there was possible exposure to ebola at an event in your community, an event YOU attended (movie theater, car show, you paid cash and are untraceable) and they ask that EVERYONE that attended identify themselves so that those folks could be put in gov run isolation for "your own safety".

Would you identify yourself? Or would you wait and see if you showed symptoms? Would you TRUST the authorities at this point?

Who Is the 'Clipboard Man' Without a Hazmat Suit?

"Our medical professionals in the biohazard suits have limited vision and mobility and it is the protocol supervisor’s job to watch each person carefully and give them verbal directions to insure no close contact protocols are violated," a spokesperson from Phoenix Air told ABC News said.

"There is absolutely no problem with this and in fact insures an even higher level of safety for all involved," the spokesperson said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/clipboard-man-hazmat-suit/story?id=26235850

That explanation tells me that none of the people in the suits know what they are doing and clip board man has the directions. jmo idk

Going back to the original case, Thomas Duncan. He was around Louise's family, daughters, and grandchildren in close contact for several days while running fever. Yet, not one of them have become sick. Also, most of them were around when the diarrhea started and with only one bathroom in the apartment, it must have been shared. Still, no one is sick.

I would think the scientists would be very interested in testing their blood to see what they could find. How this family escaped Ebola is a miracle. If Ebola is not contagious during the fever stage, that would be a big relief and something new to add to the facts.

With all the people Duncan was around while running fever and at his first hospital visit, why has some one not gotten sick? Betcha the CDC is not paying any attention to this as they are to busy digging themselves out of their daily messes! To me, with no medical training, I think it may be an important clue.

Let's imagine this situation gets out of hand and outbreaks DO occur in various areas. Imagine the authorities send out a bulletin saying there was possible exposure to ebola at an event in your community, an event YOU attended (movie theater, car show, you paid cash and are untraceable) and they ask that EVERYONE that attended identify themselves so that those folks could be put in gov run isolation for "your own safety".

Would you identify yourself? Or would you wait and see if you showed symptoms? Would you TRUST the authorities at this point?

Its a really good question. I honestly would, and I would probably go a step further if they did not take me somewhere, and I would rent out a motel room to stay away from my family members until I was proven safe.

If they took me to where others were being held, I would be afraid of catching it from other people there. That is the part I would worry myself because I dont trust that they would not be cross contanimating. I suppose I would just have to put some faith in them that they will do their jobs right. But we see how that has gone.

Going back to the original case, Thomas Duncan. He was around Louise's family, daughters, and grandchildren in close contact for several days while running fever. Yet, not one of them have become sick. Also, most of them were around when the diarrhea started and with only one bathroom in the apartment, it must have been shared. Still, no one is sick.

I would think the scientists would be very interested in testing their blood to see what they could find. How this family escaped Ebola is a miracle. If Ebola is not contagious during the fever stage, that would be a big relief and something new to add to the facts.

With all the people Duncan was around while running fever and at his first hospital visit, why has some one not gotten sick? Betcha the CDC is not paying any attention to this as they are to busy digging themselves out of their daily messes! To me, with no medical training, I think it may be an important clue.

I totally agree. I wish some news place would ask them about this. I have not heard anything about this.

I totally agree that his family members seem to have some kind of immunity or antibodies.

Fred D'Ambrosi ‏@9NewsDirector 2m2 minutes ago
How the world is fighting #Ebola. #FactsNotFear @wusa9 @InovaHealth

B0EoMwsIMAEHI7D.jpg

I'm not sure if I believe this. I'm very skeptical about everything at this point. If not one of the family members in Duncan's apartment gets sick, then I would say there is a HUGE something going on behind the scenes. It seems nearly impossible none of them would get sick. But you raise a good point. What is going on with them to protect them? I wonder if they were given anything like the trial vax? Hmmm

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/29/h...lick&bicmst=1412654400&bicmet=1446264000&_r=0

It might, she added, have circulated in some combination of bats, apes or other forest animals, “or it could have been circulating in humans for 10 years with little or no notice.”

That information is important, experts said, because the diagnostic tests now in use, as well as drugs and vaccines under consideration, are based on the Central African strain and might not work well on this outbreak. For example, a diagnostic test in use now might not give a clear positive if a victim had a low viral load early in an infection.

The move is being considered as a response to Wednesday's disclosure that Dallas nurse Amber Joy Vinson was cleared to fly on a commercial airliner earlier this week despite having been exposed to the Ebola virus while treating Thomas Edward Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

On Monday, a CDC official cleared Vinson to fly from Cleveland to Dallas on board Frontier Airlines Flight 1143 despite the fact that she had called and reported having a slight fever, one of the common symptoms of the Ebola virus.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...es-people-monitored-for-ebola-to-no-fly-list/

bbm

This one it refers to the trip back to dallas.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...4e7d6e-54a0-11e4-892e-602188e70e9c_story.html

Before she boarded that flight, the woman, identified by Ohio officials as Amber Joy Vinson, 29, informed the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that she was running a temperature of 99.5 degrees, a federal official told The Washington Post.

That was below the 100.4-degree* threshold in CDC guidelines for screening travelers who have been in Ebola-affected countries, and which triggers a secondary screening. The CDC did not prohibit Vinson from traveling on the plane back to Dallas, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the issue.

IDK if they knew she was flying out but looks like she called about the rise in temp while in cleveland and was givin the ok to fly back to dallas, jmo idk.

Thanks for posting those links Elley Mae. I wonder who the "official" was that told her it was OK to fly. Was that person qualified to make that decision?

So many mistakes in the handling of this situation from the beginning - the hospital, the CDC, local health officials, local law enforcement, the media. Somebody needs to step up and take charge.

What event? Where? :scared:

I would self monitor, as in stay at home and watch myself till I felt it was time to call for hospitalization should the symptoms present themselves, elevated temp, vomiting, diarrhea.

because my temp is normal 100.? they would have me quarantined forever.

I totally agree. I wish some news place would ask them about this. I have not heard anything about this.

I totally agree that his family members seem to have some kind of immunity or antibodies.

If it is true that Louise's family has not gotten sick, I certainly hold there are scientists looking into the possibility of them having some kind of immunity, etc. Has there been any updates on her family at all in the past week? Do we know for sure that none of them has gotten sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper