Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who is a retired physician and member of the hospital board in an area a few hours from Dallas. She said they have been very busy with numerous "committee meetings".

(I think its odd that I could not even get my dogs to Hawaii without quarantteing them for a month, yet...) jmo

Just in case Ebola makes its way to Colorado:

Three Denver hospitals designated centers ready for Ebola cases

"State health officials have identified Denver Health, University of Colorado Hospital and Children's Hospital Colorado as medical centers ready to provide a higher level of care to confirmed Ebola cases here.

More hospitals could be added to the list.

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Colorado Hospital Association began circulating a survey Friday to medical providers to learn more about their questions, concerns and levels of readiness."

"Gov. John Hickenlooper joined in the teleconference and expressed his confidence in the state's readiness."

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26749894/three-denver-hospitals-designated-centers-ready-ebola-cases

Sorry if this has already been posted:

BBM:

UTMB to destroy Ebola waste from Dallas hospital
"HOUSTON -- Health officials say the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston in the coming days will destroy medical waste from a Dallas hospital where a Liberian man died of Ebola and two nurses became infected.

The National Research Lab at UTMB securely handles the Ebola virus for research, and that means that the facility has a much higher awareness and training about it.

"We feel as if we need to be prepared today," said Dr. David Callender, the President of UTMB.

UTMB also has the only licensed medical waste incinerator in the state."

http://www.khou.com/story/news/health/ebola/2014/10/17/utmb-to-destroy-ebola-waste-from-dallas-hospital/17448385/

(I'm surprised at how many people, including some nurses, still continue to call this "Eboli", jmo.)

Interesting article but who is Larry? The drug was referred to a Larry's drug???

"The three-antibody mixture originated with Mapp Biopharmaceuticals, a small San Diego-based company established in 2003 and led by Larry Zeitlin, Ph.D., a Johns Hopkins-trained reproductive biologist who became an expert in “plantibodies,” antibody therapeutics produced in, and purified from, bioengineered plants."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkr...rum-small-biopharma-the-army-and-big-tobacco/

(I wonder how many people will end up developing clinical OCD/Germaphobia as a result of this....I already have it, so no worries there, jmo)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...c7910f-0b6b-4c50-88d2-cb74f92ff22a_story.html

Following one of the few ambulance drivers in Liberia and the heart wrenching story he tells.

<snip> "Aside from Joseph’s fleet, there are only about a dozen private and government ambulances in all of Liberia, and most of them are just cars or trucks with makeshift sirens and lights. Many Ebola victims take taxis to the hospital — posing a huge risk of infection for the vehicles’ next passengers. The cabs are typically not cleaned. "

Good Update on the Ebola International Crisis

"Money is of little use without staff. China has sent some 170 medical workers to the affected countries. Cuba, long focused on medical work overseas, has sent a similar number, and has plans for 300 more. Others have been less forthcoming. The facilities America’s soldiers are building will require a staff in the thousands; despite being trained for biological and chemical warfare American troops will not be among them. Last month MSF rejected a pledge of $2.5m from the Australian government, demanding Australian doctors instead. Australia demurred."

http://www.economist.com/news/inter...oses-catastrophic-threat-region-and-could-yet

Regarding the possibly psychogenic nature of the " random public vomiting" that's been going on.. As a person with both a nursing degree and a psychology degree, the psychological response to an international disease which is often fatal in the primitive host countries in W. Africa has been an important factor to me.
I have questioned what part of the actions done in the USA have been reactionary almost as much as questioning which parts have been left undone due to possible denial or lack of knowledge. I think most of us have figured out that our news is " selective" and often very biased, and I think most of us know that there have been some outrageous and full of BS things said and done related to illness and possible illness in the past 24-48 hours, especially.

So, what do I get in my inbox tonight? A Critical Care continuing education article titled " PTSD- Diagnosis, Treatment and the Path to Recovery. Although frequently associated with the military, PTSD can result from natural disasters or even threats of natural disasters and possibility of extreme illness and death."
And they are charging a whopping fee to participate in the CEU article reading and self- test. Profiteering is alive and well in America. I've laughed til I have tears. Sometimes, laughter is our best medicine. And on that note, I wish everyone a very happy and safe weekend.. Go out, be happy, live life to its fullest, OK? A positive attitude is a great stress- buster. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay