Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/10/17/356938150/white-house-to-appoint-ebola-czar

by SCOTT NEUMAN -- October 17, 201410:38 AM ET

White House Appoints An Ebola 'Czar'

Ron Klain, a former White House adviser, has been appointed to head U.S. efforts to combat Ebola.

A White House official says Klain "will report directly to the president's Homeland Security Adviser Lisa Monaco and ... National Security Adviser Susan Rice as he ensures that efforts to protect the American people by detecting, isolating and treating Ebola patients in this country are properly integrated but don't distract from the aggressive commitment to stopping Ebola at the source in West Africa."

LOL Gross, but a few days ago after having spent all day gabbing about Ebola here, I had to log off and go barf....it was psychosomatic, there was no other reason. That may be happening to others, who start worrying themselves sick, or like me, respond to subliminal suggestion. People are funny. JMO

Don't feel alone. I participate in rescues of feral cats and also volunteer at a no kill shelter. I don't worry about the animals I come in contact with even after some past incidents of being bitten by stray / and / or feral cats. One bite from a feral cat resulted in a several months loss of use of my right hand due to nerve damage from bacteria.

But Wednesday I had a dental appointment and was all paranoid about anyone touching me much less sticking their fingers into my mouth even though gloved. Some people might call me a hypochondriac, but I feel animals are safer than humans.

I've been having a hard time discerning what things have happened when in relation to things like did Amber fly the first time before or after Nina was diagnosed with ebola, and when did monitoring of various people start and so forth. So I've started putting together a timeline. And in the process, I've read some shocking things that I'm not sure if they've been brought to light.

When Duncan went to the hospital the second time -- in the ambulance -- he was very ill, lots of vomiting. Admitted with suspected ebola. Left to sit in the presence of many other people before finally being isolated. Okay, we know all that. Here's a couple things I didn't know:

The hospital did not immediately test him for ebola. They spent two days doing other tests first. They knew they had a possible ebola case, but didn't test for ebola right away? Really?
http://keranews.org/post/2nd-dallas-nurse-ebola-arrives-atlanta-treatment
http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-patient-thomas-eric-duncan-dies-at-dallas-hospital-201613535.html
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metr...elay-may-have-violated-federal-guidelines.ece

During the two days from his admission on Sept 28 until the ebola confirmation on the 30th, healthcare workers at the hospital were not wearing any special PPE, just the standard gown gloves & mask. (WHAT????)
Only after the positive ebola test 2 days later did they start following the CDC's prior (inadequate) PPE guidelines.
http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/...r-two-days-while-treating-ebola-patient.html/

The HCW who treated him during those 2 days without PPE were either not being monitored at all or were considered low-risk. (I'm having trouble finding definitive info on whether they were being monitored.) That why they were free to go on cruises and get on places and fly around the country.

On Sept. 29, the hospital shipped Duncan's blood to the state lab in Austin for ebola testing. I can't find any info about how it was shipped or how it was handled in Austin or any monitoring of anyone in the Austin lab.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metr...elay-may-have-violated-federal-guidelines.ece

The Texas hospital has a machine that can be used to test for ebola and get results within an hour. They didn't use it because of stupid bureaucratic regulations. The machine is used by the military in Africa and has a better than 90% accuracy rate.
http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2...creening-machine-military-using-africa/96713/

When Amber was diagnosed with ebola, she was not one of the people being monitored for ebola, which included only people who had contact with Duncan prior to his hospitalization.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...-hospital-worker-contracted-Ebola-5817785.php

The lab worker departed on the cruise ship on Oct 12 -- before being notified of required monitoring. So this lab worker who handled Duncan's lab samples wasn't even under monitoring until more than 3 days after Duncan died.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/hospit...la-samples-caribbean-cruise/story?id=26263642

There is so much "too little too late" going on here that it boggles the mind. They took too long (IMO) to start contact tracing. They took too long to actually test him for ebola. They took too long to isolate him. They took too long to start wearing PPE, and when they finally did it was inadequate. They took too long to start monitoring HCWs who cared for him. They didn't monitor a lot of people they should have. Monitoring didn't involve much of anything beyond self-checking temp twice a day. They took too long to start requesting travel restrictions on people who are self-monitoring. IMO, they still haven't restricted travel sufficiently.

They consider "low-risk" a lot of people that I would have to consider to be "high-risk." It almost seems as if any HCWs who cared for him prior to his diagnosis weren't considered at any significant risk simply because he hadn't yet had a confirmed diagnosis. Just like they didn't wear PPE when he was admitted, but merely routine gloves/gown/mask from his admission until his diagnosis -- even though he was suspected to have ebola.

I don't think this could have been handled worse if they had been trying to.

Agree. And it is crazy to consider that Frieden said the CDC was was at the hospital within hours of Duncan being admitted. It is unfortunate Presby followed the old CDC guidelines, but I am glad the CDC finally tightened them up.

I can find out if someone else doesn't answer first. But I always assumed Nina was going to get worse before she got better. I think days 12-15 are the worst for someone with Ebola? Seems I read something like that...

The NIH reported this morning that Nina is eating, communicating and resting. It WAS a long trip to Maryland and up and down stairs, etc. They said that she is very tired, but is in good spirits. I think they will take great care of her. They did refer to her as a "trooper". JMO

It's an absolute scandal that we do not have a Surgeon General right now. Can he get around congress' obstruction and just appoint one already?

Perhaps. Depends on the appointee. For instance, Jocelyn Elders overseeing this situation wouldn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

Now I want to know how Amber is! She is not getting the same coverage as Nina, but possibly she wants her condition to be kept more private. Geez I hope that she can get transfused and responds to whatever treatment they can give her. She arrived in hospital comparatively late, and that is not good. But she is young and hopeful and that helps.........JMO

Now I want to know how Amber is! She is not getting the same coverage as Nina, but possibly she wants her condition to be kept more private. Geez I hope that she can get transfused and responds to whatever treatment they can give her. She arrived in hospital comparatively late, and that is not good. But she is young and hopeful and that helps.........JMO

Here's hoping that "no news is good news". I hope she is doing well, responding to treatment.

I didn't see where this has already been posted, sorry if I missed it.

http://mashable.com/2014/10/16/texas-nurses-ebola-protective-gear/

Texas Ebola Nurses Wore Too Much Protective Gear

Frieden is just bound and determined to blame the nurses, isn't he?

First, all the reports I've seen so far strongly suggest that nurses were using inadequate PPE. Why is he suddenly saying the opposite?

Second, wasn't he present at the hearing yesterday when the Dallas hospital guy finally said "no" in response to the question, Did the nurses receive any training in the use of PPE?

This makes me so angry.

I'm ever so thankful that there are doctors, nurses and other HCWs who willingly and voluntarily risk their health and their lives to care for sick people. Please do not think this is a "blame the victim" statement, but I really would like to see these HCWs just say "no" to providing any further care or treatment unless and until they have received adequate training in the use of PPE and infection control. They need training so that they know what PPE to wear and how to put it on and take it off. They need a disrobing supervisor to manage and assist with the removal of the PPE in a safe manner and in a safe location. They need adequate supplies of all PPE gear. They needs specialized teams to decontaminate any reusable PPE gear. They need safe, effective and timely biohazardous waste removal and disposal by trained hazmat crews. They simply must have the training, supplies and support needed to do their jobs properly and safely, and IMO they should refuse to do anything further until that happens.

Interesting point. We just assume we will be updated on all of the conditions but legally it is not our right to know. So has Nurse 1 given permission to doctors and staff to report her condition? If Nurse 2 said she wants it private, would it remain private? Hippa laws I understand but am not sure if anything about this situation, like public safety, can override hippa laws. Experts weigh in please . If this was discussed pages ago, I'm sorry. tia

Brad Freitas ‏@NewsChopperBrad 14m14 minutes ago
PHOTOS possible #Ebola patient moved to #Fairfax hospital from the Pentagon #BREAKING #BreakingNews

B0KV_7DCcAAInWW.jpg

B0KWABUCQAIjBd3.jpg

B0KWAFTCUAADy2S.jpg

The NIH reported this morning that Nina is eating, communicating and resting. It WAS a long trip to Maryland and up and down stairs, etc. They said that she is very tired, but is in good spirits. I think they will take great care of her. They did refer to her as a "trooper". JMO

I was in awe of her fortitude when I watched news coverage yesterday. I have chronic health problems that are not NEARLY as serious or life-threatening as Ebola, yet some days it takes all my strength just to get out of bed.

The amount of time Nina had to stay awake and alert with a deadly virus in her system was for HOURS while she was transferred.

I admire her strength and fortitude plus her continued high spirits. She's an amazing young woman that any hospital should consider themselves lucky to have on their staff.

I can find out if someone else doesn't answer first. But I always assumed Nina was going to get worse before she got better. I think days 12-15 are the worst for someone with Ebola? Seems I read something like that...

I think those are the worst days if you are dying. I did read that many seem only "somewhat sick" until the fifth or sixth day and then suddenly get much sicker (after they started believing it wasn't going to be that bad).

I was thinking about that this morning and that Nina was past that point and doing well....but now it appears that wasn't really the case.

amber's family released a statement last night asking for privacy:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/10/ebola_patient_amber_joy_vinson.html

""Our family has been overwhelmed with support and love for Amber and our extended family over the last 72 hours, and we thank you for those prayers and well wishes. Amber is stable, and we are continuing to work with her doctors as her treatment progresses. Amber is a respected professional and has always had a strong passion for nursing. She followed all of the protocols necessary when treating a patient in Dallas, and right now, she's trusting in her doctors and nurses as she is now the patient. To that end, we ask that the media respect Amber's privacy and that of our family during this overwhelming experience. The time will come down the road for more further public involvement, but for now, your continued love and prayers helps greatly."

amber's family released a statement last night asking for privacy:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/10/ebola_patient_amber_joy_vinson.html

""Our family has been overwhelmed with support and love for Amber and our extended family over the last 72 hours, and we thank you for those prayers and well wishes. Amber is stable, and we are continuing to work with her doctors as her treatment progresses. Amber is a respected professional and has always had a strong passion for nursing. She followed all of the protocols necessary when treating a patient in Dallas, and right now, she's trusting in her doctors and nurses as she is now the patient. To that end, we ask that the media respect Amber's privacy and that of our family during this overwhelming experience. The time will come down the road for more further public involvement, but for now, your continued love and prayers helps greatly."

Bless her. :(

JMO We do not need photo ops, just factual reporting. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members