Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows what will happen as more people get the virus. We may see other manifestations from causes other than taking care of nearly dead patient.

Well, okay, but you can "what if" yourself to a nervous breakdown. We need to think about what we now know to be true, and that is that right now, this disease is not known to spread in the first hours of symptoms. Keep your eyes on the Mr. Duncan situation. Fear that this disease is easily spread in the early phases has NOT been borne out.

I live near a regional airport. A plane COULD fall on my house. It really could. But I don't sit around in my home generating internal anxiety about it. The odds really aren't that high. And the odds that this guy sprayed infected body fluids around while not acutely ill are almost nil.

I know. I'm just frustrated with these idiots! I'm not trying to be rude but like you said it's common sense. I would NEVER risk other people if I came from Africa and was around people who had Ebola.

I totally understand your frustration. I think the denial mechanism is very strong, and we may indeed need to institute some more forceful "recommendations" for HCW exposed to infected patients.

yeah I know... That is what I mean. if these people who are exposed Ebola that come from Africa and then are going into the public need to be prosecuted for not staying the eff inside. I'm sorry but this is BS that they are putting others at risk for spreading it.

But so far, there have been no cases of people exposed to Ebola in Africa coming to America and infecting people during ordinary day-to-day activities. So I really can't see the point in prosecuting people for doing something so low risk. I don't even think there's a law that would cover it.

Well, okay, but you can "what if" yourself to a nervous breakdown. We need to think about what we now know to be true, and that is that right now, this disease is not known to spread in the first hours of symptoms. Keep your eyes on the Mr. Duncan situation. Fear that this disease is easily spread in the early phases has NOT been borne out.

I live near a regional airport. A plane COULD fall on my house. It really could. But I don't sit around in my home generating internal anxiety about it. The odds really aren't that high. And the odds that this guy sprayed infected body fluids around while not acutely ill is almost nil.

Sure. You are absolutely right.

I'm looking at the reports that cases are very under reported in Africa, so I'm not sure anyone can know 100% about this Ebola strain-- at least not yet.

I still think at this point none of us has even a small chance of catching it, but we have been told it is going to get worse, so no sense believing otherwise. Hope for better, sure. But lets be realistic.... (Without hysteria)...

But so far, there have been no cases of people exposed to Ebola in Africa coming to America and infecting people during ordinary day-to-day activities. So I really can't see the point in prosecuting people for doing something so low risk. I don't even think there's a law that would cover it.

But we only had one person (Mr. Duncan) coming from Africa with Ebola until today.
People seem to be assuming that because Mr. Duncan didn't infect anybody outside the hospital (that we know of), that this will happen every time.
But we can't assume that.

I live near a regional airport. A plane COULD fall on my house. It really could. But I don't sit around in my home generating internal anxiety about it. The odds really aren't that high. And the odds that this guy sprayed infected body fluids around while not acutely ill are almost nil.

Also the nurse in Spain. She was sick a while before ebola was diagnosed but none of her contacts have contracted it.

Sure. You are absolutely right.

I'm looking at the reports that cases are very under reported in Africa, so I'm not sure anyone can know 100% about this Ebola strain-- at least not yet.

I still think at this point none of us has even a small chance of catching it, but we have been told it is going to get worse, so no sense believing otherwise. Hope for better, sure. But lets be realistic.... (Without hysteria)...

New page

But we only had one person (Mr. Duncan) coming from Africa with Ebola until today.
People seem to be assuming that because Mr. Duncan didn't infect anybody outside the hospital (that we know of), that this will happen every time.

No we can't assume to the point that we don't formulate and enforce logical protocols. But I think from the perspective of personal anxiety, it would be helpful to consider the Dallas situation before letting anxiety levels get too high about things like sweaty bowling shoes or odds of taxi cabs containing infective levels of virus from someone not yet very symptomatic, etc.

No we can't assume it will happen every time, but so far with Mr Duncan, Ms Pham and Ms Vinson, all we know previously about the virus has been borne out - that its not easy to get at the early stages (though not impossible) and very easy to get at the later stages.

I do not think we will see an outbreak due to the NYC doctor. But that doesn't keep me from lamenting the fact that he showed poor judgement. The chances are very low of transmission in early stages, but not zero. He didn't need to hop on the subway and go bowling. I mean, have some consideration for others. Again, chances might be low, but he knew his own travel and situational history. He had been treating Ebola patients. If anyone should have self-quarantined, it should have been him. I feel fairly safe in saying that IMO, he acted like a complete dumb-a$$. No common sense at all.

Columbia U policy:

http://preparedness.columbia.edu/fi...west_africa_travel_guidance_10-16-14_v1-0.pdf

c. For individuals who will be in contact with Ebola patients and involved in clinical activities related to such care, we expect that training will be provided by the sponsoring organization (e.g., CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/safety- training-course/index.html), WHO, or other entities) concerning Ebola transmission and the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE). University Health Services (UHS) (http://www.health.columbia.edu/) can be contacted should an individual have questions concerning the training he/she has received. Upon return, these individuals will be required to remain in “home quarantine” for 21 days, meaning they will not be allowed to participate in patient-related activities of any nature at the University or its affiliated hospitals, clinics, etc. This requirement is consistent with recommendations from authorities like the CDC as well as New York Presbyterian Hospital policy.

I agree that assuming it as fact could be dangerous. However, it's not just Duncan's contacts but also the two nurses in Dallas and the nurse in Spain. Granted, Mr. Duncan was the sickest. But even reports from Africa suggest that contact with people in advanced stages is where most of the risk is. I was just responding to the notion of arresting and prosecuting people for something on the basis of "what-ifs".

I'm sorry but these people who have been around/exposed to other Ebola patients need to be arrested for not quarantining themselves away from people. This is absolute b.s and it makes me furious. I mean seriously. SMFH.
GRRR. I am so sorry that I read the latest so close to bedtime. I thought nothing could top my anger about Duncan, but this doctor has. From NYTimes
"A health care worker at the hospital said that Dr. Spencer seemed very sick, and it was unclear to the medical staff why he had not gone to the hospital earlier, since his fever was high."
This doctor was feeling 'sluggish' on Tuesday.

Grrr. Also, WTF good is it to check incoming from Africa people's temperature when they can get a fever 8 days from when they land. GRRR. #$%X%^^

Armageddon?

Mind numbing is it not? Maybe trying to get money before someone realized that a couple of people is kinda like 245 million people away from being a issue! I truly beleive is the media is repsonsible for the hysteria - if they woudl have been responsible from the beginning I beleive the country at large would habe behaved somewhat less silly - it go obserd, and I agree humerous. Garden posted a fab post with the new Vomit App - still cracks me up. Garden do not give up on this you could be a millionaiire!!

Media is up to it again. It is like none of them have ever gotten sick with anything. Short ofg a massive heart attack
That goes like this:

9:02 AM Fine
9:03 AM Dead!

All this concrete stuff , fever, timeframes ,how one feels etc- in any illiness, the body is a machine. It slowly heats up and slowly cools down. If every American, who had a bla day ran to the emergency room the country would stand still!
Granted he was over there, however many many people, I would assume, volunteer their skilss and lives, come back have a bla day, and do not come down with Ebola.

Has anyone had it like this with the flu:

9:02 AM Fine
9:03 AM 103 fever

AN thgoughout this its like the media forgets - when one is running a fever, anyone feel like bolwing? gGrocery shopping? Riding a subway - this pervausive notion that all these folks are evil people, bad, IMO is off. When I run a fever I like to be in bed - so it is congruent that he was not running any fever last night - who wants to go bolwing running a fever!! Noone!

He probably went to sleep and woke up feverish and did what he was suppossed to do. Just mo!

Now I must confess the cops throwing the gloves away - no real risk - again think about it - I do not think homeless people are going to go digging through garbage cans with a bunch of ruer gloves in it. Half eaten steak now maybe!

And , the media needs to keep in mind that Ebola is a living thing. It needs a host, It needs blood. It needs cells. WIthout those things it dies. It is a very weak virus - soap and water kill it. Some sweat on a subway seat the virus dies, it does not have an ability to "infect" anyone. It has passed away!

I found this statement unintentionally humorous in a way: "The quarantine is per the [Connecticut] governor's orders following the Ebola epidemic."

Connecticut's "Ebola epidemic" that has induced forced quarantine consists of the grand total of 0 (!) cases of patients in their state contracting the disease, and comes as a result of the fact that earlier this month Gov. Dannel Malloy declared a public health emergency for Ebola in that state. There is a massive outbreak of two, count 'em TWO!, people contracting it in the entire country - but, getting it about 1600 miles away.

What an epidemic!

Yikes!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/23/who-ebola-update/17767789/

Even with the modest goal of meeting 70% of the region's needs by Dec. 1, affected countries would need at least 16 more labs to help medical staff quickly diagnose patients, 230 more "dead body management teams" to bury or cremate bodies in ways that don't spread Ebola, ​; 4,388 more hospital beds; and 20,000 contract tracers to find and isolate potential cases.

Today, Liberia has enough beds for only 23% of patients, according to the WHO. That means 77% of Ebola patients are languishing and dying at home or, worse, in the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest