Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless under contract the jobs can replace them. Some may or may not have sick leave and/or vacation. FML may be available to some but that does not come with pay. Then, fraud will rear its ugly head if the government was to cover lost pay. What a mess!!

I agree, this could cause an undue financial burden on quite a few people, not to mention the stigma associated with going back to work after the quarantine period. This furthers the need for accurate, factual information from a reliable position of authority. In reality, there's probably more chance of the average employee breaking a leg or contracting a bad flu bug that could possibly keep them out of work for 3 weeks. Whatever contingency is in place for that scenario could substitute here?

What's the difference between "screened" positive and "tested" positive? Or do they mean the same thing?

As I understand it: "tested positive" is the classic word that someone has the disease. They took the test, and it was positive.

"Screened positive" means that they have the symptoms of the disease, and they also say that they have risk factors--recent travel to West Africa, or recent contact with an Ebola case in this country.

WONDERFUL!! Now they are monitoring 3 people from my state. UGH! Passionflower have you have seen this?

Edit to add: just realized that the people are not currently in my state but still...

3 northwestern Pennsylvanians being monitored for Ebola

Three Pennsylvanians who were on a flight from Cleveland to Dallas with a nurse who tested positive for Ebola are in Texas and have not been back home since the trip, Gov. Tom Corbett and other health officials said Friday.

The three people are not showing symptoms of Ebola and are not being quarantined, Corbett said. Their risk of contracting Ebola is very low, the governor said.

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story...itored-for-ebola/41867/p_wY45TLUUewbNG97z3jjw

What's the difference between "screened" positive and "tested" positive? Or do they mean the same thing?

"Screened" positive means the person presented with symptoms consistent with Ebola (possibilities:vomiting, high temp, answers yes to have traveled or been in contact with someone who has traveled to affected regions). "Tests Positive" means they actually do have the Ebola virus. IMO, many people will "Screen Positive" because these symptoms are so common to many illnesses. The travel question, imo, is a HUGE indicator but even then, it could be something OTHER than Ebola.
**Sorry, no link. Just read it somewhere earlier this a.m.**** Feel free to verify;)

This furthers the need for accurate, factual information from a reliable position of authority.

Methinks they've already blown their opportunity for that. There has now been so much inaccurate information and so much incompetence displayed from the "authorities" that, going forward, it's going to be difficult to trust anything they say. They've got a ton of catching up to do just to get back to the level of trust they had prior to Duncan.

Screening means you meet the criteria for testing imo.

That's my understanding too. Temp, vomiting, stomach pain.... enough symptoms, you "screen" positive and then they test you.

ETA: And travel to an ebola-infected country

So she just randomly got on the bus (((where?))), went to the bathroom, threw up, and hopped back off. Then, authorities notified the bus driver that the random lady who got on the bus to puke had recently been to Africa.

Um what?!?!? How did "authorities" know some random woman got on the bus and puked and left and that she had been to Africa? Is this the most poorly worded news story in history?

This article explains a little more. I am assuming someone called 911.

Dent said that the bus was in the Pentagon parking lot when the woman, who was not dressed as if she were headed to the ceremony, got on board. She walked to the back of the bus, used the bathroom there, then left the bus without touching anyone on board, Dent said.

Afterward, he said, the woman walked behind the bus. He saw emergency workers arrive and the woman laying on the ground.

The bus drove away, and when it was about two blocks away from its destination, the driver heard over the radio that he should stop. The bus was placed under quarantine on the 600 block of I Street SE.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...3f1316-5612-11e4-ba4b-f6333e2c0453_story.html

Please provide a link to back up this information. Otherwise, it is your opinion.

If I am not mistaken this is what the poster is talking/referring to. jmo idk

The major Liberian newspaper churning out Ebola conspiracy after conspiracy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...urning-out-ebola-conspiracy-after-conspiracy/

“The Observer had previously been informed that people dressed as nurses were going into communities with ‘Ebola Vaccines,’” the newspaper continued. “Once injected, it reportedly produces Ebola-like symptoms and sends victims into a coma. Shortly thereafter, victims expire.” It added that residents had chased away these “vaccine peddlers” after their “formaldehyde-water mixtures” had killed 10 children.

Recent articles published by the paper have speculated that the U.S. Defense Department “manufactured” the Ebola outbreak, have alleged that the United Nations “deliberately introduced” the Ebola virus, and have fretted over an impending influx of foreigners.

At least 8 Ebola aid workers reportedly killed 'in cold blood' by villagers in Guinea

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/0...ortedly-killed-in-cold-blood-by-villagers-in/

These deaths are believed to be the first resulting from resistance to international efforts to curb the Ebola outbreak in the region, Reuters reported. Other aid teams have been forced to turn back by crowds in several locations, and a treatment center in Monrovia, Liberia was attacked and looted.

Villagers in an area near the city of Nzerekore used machetes and clubs to attack eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about the disease, officials told the BBC.

Unless under contract the jobs can replace them. Some may or may not have sick leave and/or vacation. FML may be available to some but that does not come with pay. Then, fraud will rear its ugly head if the government was to cover lost pay. What a mess!!

But that whistle blower nurse from Texas Presbyterian was all over CNN last night blasting the hospital while she had a HIGH paid lawyer sitting next to her.

Then the lawyer spoke to the CNN cameras (Anderson Cooper) DEMANDING that the CEO of Texas Presbyterian Hospital make a direct all to Anderson Cooper to assure the "whistle blowing" nurse that she still had job.

The response from the hospital was "your employment status is the same today as yesterday".

Forgive me if I sound cynical. BUT I think this "whistle blower" had already been threatened with loss of job or disciplinary action because of her criticism of the hospital and reluctance to treat patients with Ebola.

IMO, she went on CNN in hopes of staving off being fired or disciplined. After all, her lawyer DEMANDED that the CEO call Anderson Cooper directly to give her assurance on national tv that she still had a job.

I'm just making a guess here because it took me an hour or so to process her lawyer's request last night. Again, just my IMO, but this woman had already been threatened by loss of job or disciplinarian action because of her criticism of the hospital. Her "performance" last night just cinched it for me. Her lawyer went out of his way to DEMAND that the CEO call Anderson Cooper while his program was LIVE last night, (NOT the lawyer or the whistle blower) to draw nationwide attention to this one person.

After all, how could Presby POSSIBLY fire her for insubordination or refusal to do a job AFTER she went on national tv to criticize?

Not that there weren't tons of mistakes made, but she got AHEAD by her display last night. IMO, her tears weren't for her fellow nurses that were infected, but for herself. She kept repeating how SHE was exposed to Ebola, she spoke out on CNN about all of the mistakes made by the hospital.

All well and good UNTIL her lawyer DEMANDED on live CNN last night that the CEO of the hospital make a DIRECT call to Anderson Cooper to assure her LIVE on tv that she still had a job.

It seems the Spanish nurse with ebola has also requested privacy. The last update I could find with a quick search was from last Thursday (over a week ago), and her condition at that time had worsened. Anyone have more current information? Perhaps someone who reads Spanish could find something as maybe the case has local coverage?

Last I heard she was drinking and talked to her husband.

Dent said that the bus was in the Pentagon parking lot when the woman, who was not dressed as if she were headed to the ceremony, got on board. She walked to the back of the bus, used the bathroom there, then left the bus without touching anyone on board, Dent said.

Afterward, he said, the woman walked behind the bus. He saw emergency workers arrive and the woman laying on the ground.

The bus drove away, and when it was about two blocks away from its destination, the driver heard over the radio that he should stop. The bus was placed under quarantine on the 600 block of I Street SE.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...3f1316-5612-11e4-ba4b-f6333e2c0453_story.html

Another weird random vomit story, lol.

Such a strange scenario as described. If I were sick - with a stomach bug, food poisoning, or whatever - I woudn't think to walk on a tour bus for the bathroom. I would vomit in a bush or remote place of the parking lot - or right at my feet if I were truly too sick to make it anywhere (not that I go around vomiting and have a plan, lol). I hope this woman has a run-of-the-mill reason to be vomiting and feels better soon, but something is still off with this story.imo

Updates on Amber's condition is not a matter of public safety. It was already reported that she has Ebola, her movements while infected and her transfer to Atlanta. There is no "need to know" at this point and it really isn't any of our business. I think if she or her family say they don't want info released, it will not be released. Her family might want to keep her name out of the news as much as possible. After all, there are a lot of people who are very critical of her choice to travel when she was at risk of contracting the virus.

Respectfully.
Perhaps, "it isn't any of our business". In my case & I'm sure also for many others here, we are concerned about her & hope that she is progressing & doing as well as possible. No evil intent in that.

"Missouri AG seeks to block St. Louis facility from accepting Ebola medical waste"
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/missouri-ag-seeks-to-block-st-louis-facility-from-accepting/article_2dff857c-a77f-5559-a056-955c9c6b27be.html

"Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster has filed a court petition to block a facility in north St. Louis that has past compliance violations from accepting medical waste that could be contaminated with the Ebola virus. "

Sorry if already posted..

What happened to burning it locally as its done by workers in W Africa?

https://gma.yahoo.com/ebola-nurse-d...dc-flight-122900905--abc-news-topstories.html

Well, well, well...the plot thickens.....

ETA: Summary: It says AV called TX Health Officials, not CDC, for ok to fly.

:scared: I would like to say I'm surprised but after all of Texas' other ( fillintheblanks) it's par for the course, right? Notice what we did here? Too incompetent, too many mistakes and now we have no ebola patients in Texas. Just like that, they magically disappeared to points where they can get proper care. Crazy ? Or crazy like a fox ? ;)

https://gma.yahoo.com/ebola-nurse-d...dc-flight-122900905--abc-news-topstories.html

Well, well, well...the plot thickens.....

ETA: Summary: It says AV called TX Health Officials, not CDC, for ok to fly.

And yet on CNN tv last night, when her uncle was interviewed he said she did not call ANYONE to report her fever.

Her uncle claimed on CNN tv last night, that someone from CDC called HER. Not the other way around. I'm just not trusting ANYTHING I read at this point because too many stories told by too many people conflict with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3