Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(I'm surprised at how many people, including some nurses, still continue to call this "Eboli", jmo.)

GRRR My husband does that. mixes it up with e coli, I think, neither of which he has a clue about.....JMO

I would have left. If someone asked me that I would tell to go to hell. jmo idk

I had my appendix removed, emergency surgery and when I went to see the Dr that did the procedure at his office for a follow up the receptionist handed me 4 sheets of paper front and back to fill out. After I looked at the papers and determined that the ?'s had nothing to do with the surgery that the Dr had performed( not my family Dr) I walked back up to the receptionist and handed her the papers back and left. And I never got a bill. Too many ?'s for me. jmo idk

LOL, Elley Mae, that's awesome.

I would have left. If someone asked me that I would tell to go to hell. jmo idk

I had my appendix removed, emergency surgery and when I went to see the Dr that did the procedure at his office for a follow up the receptionist handed me 4 sheets of paper front and back to fill out. After I looked at the papers and determined that the ?'s had nothing to do with the surgery that the Dr had performed( not my family Dr) I walked back up to the receptionist and handed her the papers back and left. And I never got a bill. Too many ?'s for me. jmo idk

It's required to ask those questions about travel now or people can loose their jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, Elley Mae, that's awesome.

Some things really bother me, Maybe I should call the Safeway and tell them I want the store cleared so I can shop, I don't want people there while I do that. Or maybe I could ask the receptionist where they have been in the last 72 hours before I talk to them. jmo idk

On the other hand, maybe it'd be easier to just say, 'Nope, never gone to Africa," rather than getting in a huff about people trying to obey the law. For some reason, I suddenly feel more sympathy for those people in Africa who get upset over officious strangers trying to tell them that they can't bury their dead properly. (As long as their distress doesn't lead them to commit murder.)

That's fine, but I would say to them, you all within the medical system seem to be the ones that get it, not joe public. jmo idk And with that I would then go to cvs/walgreens and get it. But fact is I have never got a flu shot, or the flu.

They probably handed you the "new client" questionnaire. I always read medical consent forms carefully and frequently don't sign stuff I don't like when handing it back for a first doctor's visit (like they will check???). I also don't hesitate to cross out items (and initial) or add my OWN additional terms to a surgical consent form. The pen ain't just for signing your name.

That's fine, but I would say to them, you all within the medical system seem to be the ones that get it, not joe public. jmo idk And with that I would then go to cvs/walgreens and get it. But fact is I have never got a flu shot, or the flu.

The people at CVS and Walgreens should be asking those same questions about travel from Africa.

New vets from A&M have taken Bentley and moved him into a lab type environment where he is kept in a cage with a metal floor and receives NO human contact (have to wonder if he even gets bedding or if he has to sleep on a metal grate).

He is being treated like a lab animal now. :(

That really really sucks. Only positive is it could possibly save countless other dogs from being used and then killed in lab experiments, but sadly I doubt if it will, somebody will get funding and do it anyway.

:notgood:

Liberian visiting Oak Park told to watch for Ebola symptoms

The Detroit News 6:56 p.m. EDT October 17, 2014

Oakland County health officials said Friday that a Liberian man visiting a relative in Oak Park does not show symptoms of the deadly Ebola virus.

The Oakland County Health Division said officials learned about the man from the Michigan Department of Community Health, which had been informed by the Centers for Disease Control, according to a statement.

The man, who has not been named, entered the United States through an airport in New York City, where he "was screened in accordance with CDC protocol before being permitted to enter the country," officials said. "The man said he had had no contact with anyone known to have the Ebola virus and was observed to be symptom free at the time of arrival...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ola-liberian-metro-detroit-oak-park/17457593/

Trying to be precise about how bad things could get, absent that effort, is not possible. This is not just because the actual number of cases is not well known. The rate at which cases give rise to subsequent cases, which epidemiologists call Rο, is the key variable. For easily transmitted diseases Rο can be high; for measles it is 18. For a disease like Ebola, much harder to catch, it is lower: estimates of Rο in different parts of the outbreak range from 1.5 to 2.2. Any Rο above 1 is bad news, though, and seemingly small differences in Rο can matter a lot. An Rο of 2.2 may sound not much bigger than an Rο of 1.5, but it means numbers will double twice as fast.

http://www.economist.com/news/inter...oses-catastrophic-threat-region-and-could-yet

And Rο is not a constant. It depends both on the biology of the virus, the setting of its spread (city or country, slum or suburb) and the behaviour of the people among whom it is spreading. Over the course of the crisis the second two factors are bound to change as the virus moves to different places and as people start to adapt. Given high rates of mutation, which bring with them the possibility of evolutionary change, it is possible that the first could change, too. Peter Piot, one of the researchers who first identified the Ebola virus in 1976, stresses that the course of an outbreak does not always follow smooth curves; it can stutter and flare up. None of this complexity, though, offers much reassurance. While doubtless imperfect, plausible model-based extrapolations such as a recent one from America’s Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggest, in the absence of intervention, that there could be 1.4m cases in west Africa in the next three months.

CDC tells Liberian man in Michigan to 'self-monitor'

Man has no symptoms of Ebola virus, but health officials are taking 'abundance of caution'

Published On: Oct 17 2014 05:50:04 PM EDT Updated On: Oct 17 2014 11:26:34 PM EDT

OAK PARK, Mich. -
A man from Liberia who is visiting family in Oak Park is being asked by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to self-monitor himself.

He does not have any symptoms of the Ebola virus.

"Out of an abundance of caution, an Oakland County Health Division epidemiologist has been assigned to communicate with the man twice daily to monitor his health for at least 21 days," reads a statement from the Health Division...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/cdc-tells-liberian-man-in-michigan-to-selfmonitor/29201486

They probably handed you the "new client" questionnaire. I always read medical consent forms carefully and frequently don't sign stuff I don't like when handing it back for a first doctor's visit (like they will check???). I also don't hesitate to cross out items (and initial) or add my OWN additional terms to a surgical consent form. The pen ain't just for signing your name.

What ever the reason, I being pigheaded/stubborn didn't see the Dr and left, I need to add that this hospital paid my sister 40,000 in a lawsuit and they missed my hubby's kidney doing a biopsy and sent in muscle tissue for the lab to look at, yeah had to get that done again. So I am one that does not like Dr's or hospitals. Old school here, if it ain't broke leave it alone.

O/T a prescription is a note to the pharmacist from the Dr saying I got mine now you get yours. :)

Friends and family who had contact with Duncan before he was hospitalized were confined to homes under armed guard, but nurses who handled his contagious bodily fluids were allowed to treat other patients, take mass transit and get on airplanes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ebola-monitoring-inconsistent-virus-spread-26292097

:notgood:

Regarding Bentley, I don't think Animal Services had any idea this was going on (according to their comments on facebook).

Worse comes to worse, Nina makes a video statement from her hospital bed saying how she did the right thing, she trusted they would take care of her little dog kindly, and now this....etc.... That would cause a HUGE ruckus and change the plans. She is a national hero that currently has the worlds attention and they had better not mistreat her little dog.

Liberian visiting Oak Park told to watch for Ebola symptoms

The Detroit News 6:56 p.m. EDT October 17, 2014

Oakland County health officials said Friday that a Liberian man visiting a relative in Oak Park does not show symptoms of the deadly Ebola virus.

The Oakland County Health Division said officials learned about the man from the Michigan Department of Community Health, which had been informed by the Centers for Disease Control, according to a statement.

The man, who has not been named, entered the United States through an airport in New York City, where he "was screened in accordance with CDC protocol before being permitted to enter the country," officials said. "The man said he had had no contact with anyone known to have the Ebola virus and was observed to be symptom free at the time of arrival...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ola-liberian-metro-detroit-oak-park/17457593/

It sounds like the CDC might be actively trying to track down anybody from West Africa that has entered the US recently and notifying local health officials for monitoring. That is a good thing, a very positive move by the CDC. IMO

On the other hand, I don't think the media should report on every story. That will just create more panic in different parts of the country and lead to more people being ostracized. Again, my opinion only.

It sounds like the CDC might be actively trying to track down anybody from West Africa that has entered the US recently and notifying local health officials for monitoring. That is a good thing, a very positive move by the CDC. IMO

On the other hand, I don't think the media should report on every story. That will just create more panic in different parts of the country and lead to more people being ostracized. Again, my opinion only.

Both of the articles that I posted above are local media reports (Detroit). I live in Oakland County about 10 miles north of Oak Park. It's unlikely that I would have contact with the individual who is visiting relatives, but I'm sure that folks in that community or neighboring areas appreciate the information.

I've never get the flu shot either. I never get sick. But I couldn't care less if the doctors asked me where Id travelled. I'm really confused as to what your point is?

Both of the articles that I posted above are local media reports (Detroit). I live in Oakland County about 10 miles north of Oak Park. It's unlikely that I would have contact with the individual who is visiting relatives, but I'm sure that folks in that community or neighboring areas appreciate the information.

I agree there is the matter of public safety, but the media and health officials could run a responsible media campaign to educate the public with giving too many specifics.

Was there ever a follow up on the person from Baylor that was being tested for Ebola?
Also someone mentioned that Amber was doing well,do we know that for certain? Last thing I heard was she was stable. I know her family made a statement that they were not going to release information,but wondered if there had been any leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay