Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I agree. I don't know what they did but doing something before the virus has taken a big toll on the body is key to survival imho.
Her immune system must have been in great shape. Heck....I've had a cold longer than she had Ebola!!! Yeah for her! Glad she recovered! Hope we will hear some positive news about Nina soon!

Her immune system must have been in great shape. Heck....I've had a cold longer than she had Ebola!!! Yeah for her! Glad she recovered! Hope we will hear some positive news about Nina soon!

That's what I was thinking. I had a cold for longer than she had Ebola. We already heard positive news about Nina. Nina is now listed in good condition.
But now some doctor in NY that recently came from West Africa is having Ebola symptoms. So here we go again?

Breaking news on 5 pm newscast nbcdfw.com. Amber Vinson tested free of ebola virus last night. They are quoting her mother & they are very encouraged. Of course, she will still need more time to completely recover.

I'm so happy to hear this about Amber.

Has there been any news about Nina? I know her dog is ebola-free so far.

Despite the apparent unpreparedness of the hospital and the lack of training and the inadequate PPE guidelines from the CDC, these two women risked their own lives to care for a man they had never met before. That takes a very special kind of caring. I sincerely hope both of them recover fully.

I sort of agree with you, except I don't trust this administration to admit to there being more than 2, until after the mid-terms. That said, i'm surprised the MSM isn't using the word they usually love to use - 'Pandemic', which would actually be more correct as to ebola. Epidemic is local. Pandemic is world wide.

But it has to be an epidemic in other regions which it is not first :Moo:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Wow, you just made me wonder something. Presby has very few patients ( maybe none ) but is housing several of the ' monitored' individuals. I wonder if the state or feds are kicking in some $$ to the hospital for this OR if the hospital will charge those persons' insurance companies for ' monitoring'. Let's face it , if you go to the hospital with a bump on your head, they can keep you24 or 48 hrs to ' monitor' in case you get a bleed in the brain or something like that. So could the hospital term them ' patients' and charge their insurance companies as if this was a physician directed 21 day monitoring period ? That would provide the hospital with a little $ but boy what a slippery slope . Thoughts?

If Presby is housing these workers in their hotel, they would not be able to charge their insurance companies as though they were admitted to the hospital or receiving care. I doubt they would charge them at all since this would probably be considered a worker's comp situation anyway.

I worked today at a stand alone facility where several Presby docs practice. Presby census is way down, but there are certainly patients being cared for there. One of the surgeons told me he did 4 surgeries there yesterday.

I'm so happy to hear this about Amber.

Has there been any news about Nina? I know her dog is ebola-free so far.

Despite the apparent unpreparedness of the hospital and the lack of training and the inadequate PPE guidelines from the CDC, these two women risked their own lives to care for a man they had never met before. That takes a very special kind of caring. I sincerely hope both of them recover fully.

Dr. Gary Weinstein, in his 45 minute WFAA interview with Janet St. James, stated that everyone on the care team for Mr. Duncan volunteered to do so. That includes nurses, respiratory therapists, lab techs, etc. They didn't have to assign anyone as they had plenty of willing HCW. They are all deserving of kudos.

I sort of agree with you, except I don't trust this administration to admit to there being more than 2, until after the mid-terms.

I'm about the opposite of an apologist for the current guy and his cronies, but I don't buy that angle for even a nano-second. The downside is too extreme on so many levels, and the ability to hide a confirmed case would be virtually impossible. The disease process moves quickly. Families would talk. Doctors, nurses, and HC staff would too. With all that's involved, there's no way to slide one of these cases under the rug imo.

Dr. Gary Weinstein, in his 45 minute WFAA interview with Janet St. James, stated that everyone on the care team for Mr. Duncan volunteered to do so. That includes nurses, respiratory therapists, lab techs, etc. They didn't have to assign anyone as they had plenty of willing HCW. They are all deserving of kudos.

Good point. Yes, all of them are deserving of respect and gratitude, not just the two did contract ebola.

Good point. Yes, all of them are deserving of respect and gratitude, not just the two did contract ebola.

Oh, didn't mean to seem like I was correcting your post. I was just adding another round of applause to the Presby staff.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...ber-vinson-recovered-ebola-so-quickly-n232431

“It is rare that recovery happens this fast,” said Thomas Geisbert, an expert on infectious diseases and Ebola treatment at the University of Texas Medical Branch. “It could be related to a number of things including the fact that these patients were diagnosed in the U.S. and treatment was presumably initiated quickly,” he told NBC News. .......more at link

Wow, you just made me wonder something. Presby has very few patients ( maybe none ) but is housing several of the ' monitored' individuals. I wonder if the state or feds are kicking in some $$ to the hospital for this OR if the hospital will charge those persons' insurance companies for ' monitoring'. Let's face it , if you go to the hospital with a bump on your head, they can keep you24 or 48 hrs to ' monitor' in case you get a bleed in the brain or something like that. So could the hospital term them ' patients' and charge their insurance companies as if this was a physician directed 21 day monitoring period ? That would provide the hospital with a little $ but boy what a slippery slope . Thoughts?

I have a friend that was admitted to the hospital as an outpatient for a few nights when she couldn't take care of herself because of injuries. I didn't know there was such a thing. She had her blood pressure taken regularly, given PT. No medicines administered but she could bring in her own and have the pharmacist check them and then nurses give them. Cheaper than inpatient.

Another article on the NYC doctor. Not sure if it was posted already. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tspot-ONE-DAY-rushed-hospital-103F-fever.html

Ebola panic has struck New York City and the fear may already have spread from suspected infected doctor Craig Spencer's home of Manhattan to nearby Brooklyn, where the Doctors Without Borders physician visited a hip bowling hotspot one day before he was rushed to the hospital with a 103F fever.

Instead of steering clear of crowds after his recent return from Guinea, the 33-year-old took an Uber car to Williamsburg where he visited the one of the trendy neighborhood's bowling alleys--either Brooklyn Bowl or The Gutter--according to Free Williamsburg.

The terrifying detail means that residents in at least two dense New York City neighborhoods could have been exposed: Williamsburg and Harlem, where Spencer lives.

I really have to wonder about the activities of some of these healthcare workers, knowing that they have cared for someone with such a serious infectious disease, yet immediately either hopping on public transport, airplanes, hitting up crowded areas... :ohoh: I mean, you'd think they'd keep to themselves for a couple of weeks just to be sure??

Are we in the US just more naive, or have more of a sense of invincibility or something???

I really have to wonder about the activities of some of these healthcare workers, knowing that they have cared for someone with such a serious infectious disease, yet immediately either hopping on public transport, airplanes, hitting up crowded areas... :ohoh: I mean, you'd think they'd keep to themselves for a couple of weeks just to be sure??

Are we in the US just more naive, or have more of a sense of invincibility or something???

Bowling alley. This doctor went to the bowling alley on Wednesday. If he turns out to have Ebola, a lot of people would have to be traced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member