Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
...claims such "asymptomatic people are not infectious" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Really? You know asymptomatic people can infect others? Please provide a link, or a history lesson, that tells of one of the times it has EVER happened.

In contrast, the experts say this is transmitted with a very high viral load, which would create symptoms everywhere. Even with the one who has only a fever, it looks very questionable as to whether they could truly infect anyone at that point, which is when they say to start getting treatment and to be careful with others.

Yep, better hurry up and raise the panic level to get those donations, before this thing runs its course on its own. The history of the disease shows that, in the past, this thing flares up and then goes away. The current stats show it may have ALREADY peaked.
In the past, ebola 'burnt out' due to limited exposure to large populations. That is not the case this time. And current stats do nothing of the sort.

I'm not buying the hysteria, sorry. Liberia's numbers are going down, not up. This disease is NOT one that is easily transmitted, and once it gets through feasting on the stupidity of those who opt to be around the symptomatic and dead from this disease, and they are either educated or killed off, it's run its course and its demise is inevitable.

Stanford Surgeon Under ‘Modified Quarantine’ In San Mateo County After Returning From Liberia

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...an-mateo-county-after-returning-from-liberia/

“I’m California’s most experienced Ebola physician. I won’t take a single chance,” said Dr. Bucks in a New York Times interview. “My wife is away, my dog is away — there’s no downside to a little personal convenience, 3 weeks will pass.”

What if she gets hit by a car, falls, etc?

Any EMT (or private individual) who comes to her aide may encounter blood, and more.

They may, or may not, know who she is....

So what? She doesn't have anything catchable, unless you call "fear" a disease. And these days, EMT's are already trained to avoid contact with bodily fluids and blood, because there are other things you can catch like AIDS.

I am fairly sure they are thinking about that, and planning for protection and limited contact, if needed. Why on earth would they shoot her?

Apparently they consider her a menace to society, so why not shoot her? It's happened before in other cases.

Stanford Surgeon Under ‘Modified Quarantine’ In San Mateo County After Returning From Liberia

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...an-mateo-county-after-returning-from-liberia/

“I’m California’s most experienced Ebola physician. I won’t take a single chance,” said Dr. Bucks in a New York Times interview. “My wife is away, my dog is away — there’s no downside to a little personal convenience, 3 weeks will pass.”

It's refreshing to see someone acting responsibly.

Ok, so what happens now?? If they arrest her they're going to have to touch her, haul her off to jail in their squad car, & house her in their jail. What are they going to do with all the people that come in contact with her during that process? If they shoot her they're gonna be in big time trouble. So now what???????

I'm not necessarily saying that I agree with what she's done, but she has most certainly put officials in a difficult position.

I am fairly sure they are thinking about that, and planning for protection and limited contact, if needed. Why on earth would they shoot her?

You might want to reconsider that. I'd say the track record of these officials calls into serious question whether they have any capacity for critical thinking, and accurately assessing consequences. Don't forget that these are the same *ahem* "thinkers" that are quarantining people for 21 days simply for having traveled to the Dallas area.

So what? She doesn't have anything catchable, unless you call "fear" a disease. And these days, EMT's are already trained to avoid contact with bodily fluids and blood, because there are other things you can catch like AIDS.

Let's say she is incubating right now. At what point in the course of the disease would it be best for a good Samaritan to avoid touching her if she was bloody and in an accident?

You might want to reconsider that. I'd say the track record of these officials calls into serious question whether they have any capacity for critical thinking, and accurately assessing consequences. Don't forget that these are the same *ahem* "thinkers" that are quarantining people for 21 days simply for having traveled to the Dallas area.

In your mind, who are the smart officials and who are the not so smart ones?

Its just baffling - help me understand

FOr the previous 3 weeks - with all the alerts, fevers etc - what was used to rule in or rule out Ebola was the test. Negative test results those persons were told to take their temp a couple of times a day

Ducnan ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated
first doc - ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
Newsman ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
First nurse ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
second nurse ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
spanish nurse ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
Britain ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
Norway ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about

Why in this nurse case is two negative tests , and no temp for the last 9 days = 21 lock up?

Negative tests in all the false alarms were used as a clear - why is she so different

help me understand

no fever no detectable virus feeling great

dont get it

Yep, better hurry up and raise the panic level to get those donations, before this thing runs its course on its own. The history of the disease shows that, in the past, this thing flares up and then goes away. The current stats show it may have ALREADY peaked.

Oh how I wish I could come back 100 years from now & see what the history books have to say about all of this.

OK lets go with that she is incubating, when the viral load gets to a place (identical to any other infection) wherein the body needs to start to fight - the body does that by starting a fever . That is the red light . Infection is not a on off theing a cut finger is not suddenly "infected" - takes time. And when the finger get infected to the point where the body recgnizes it it starts inflaming area (red) it ends up with puss. None of that starts instant, it is a pregression which the body registers when the threat level is at a threshold wherein the body need to start sending out antibodies

same here

incubate (has not happended that way yet ) but fine when the eggs get to hot they explode its a process

not on off
not there or not there
its simmering
the fact that they all said she had a fever and her body got her back to normal and has held her there means her body is not dealing with an infection

thtas just the role of "fever"

Let's say she is incubating right now. At what point in the course of the disease would it be best for a good Samaritan to avoid touching her if she was bloody and in an accident?

Ebola update: Maine can't reach deal with nurse Kaci Hickox

By Ashley Fantz and Jason Hanna, CNN

updated 5:20 PM EDT, Thu October 30, 2014

(CNN) -- Negotiations over where a Maine nurse can be allowed to go have failed, Gov. Paul LePage said Thursday, and he's going to "exercise the full extent of his authority" to keep Kaci Hickox away from public places.

The state is now saying it doesn't want to confine Hickox, who recently returned to the United States after treating Ebola patients in Sierra Leone with the organization Doctors Without Borders.

They want the nurse -- who has twice tested negative for Ebola and says she feels healthy -- to avoid public places such as stores for 21 days. That's the deadly virus' incubation period. Much of that period in her case is already up; it is set to end the second week in November...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/30/health/us-ebola/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

That is the myth - we know much about it - we have 4 decades of learning. We also have , despite all the "what ifs" in real time everything that has been stated by the majority of the experts , has right before our eyes, played out to the tee. That is just what we have all seen live on CNN daily!

We just have to ignore all the doomsayers she will like everyone else take her temp 2x a day --that worked in every other sitution - when they started a fever , they went, got tested, were positive, got totally infected, treated and is ok

This nurse if no differetn IMO

I said nothing of the sort. My point is, we don't know a lot about Ebola. So claims such "asymptomatic people are not infectious" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Its just baffling - help me understand

FOr the previous 3 weeks - with all the alerts, fevers etc - what was used to rule in or rule out Ebola was the test. Negative test results those persons were told to take their temp a couple of times a day

Ducnan ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated
first doc - ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
Newsman ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
First nurse ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
second nurse ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
spanish nurse ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
Britain ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about
Norway ran fever -- tested postive - got ebola treated and up and about

Why in this nurse case is two negative tests , and no temp for the last 9 days = 21 lock up?

Negative tests in all the false alarms were used as a clear - why is she so different

help me understand

no fever no detectable virus feeling great

dont get it

Excellent question.

Here is Stanford's statement about Dr. Bucks:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/30/ca-stanford-health-care-idUSnBw296677a+100+

Now that Dr. Bucks is home, out of an abundance of caution he will isolate himself for 21 days following his last known contact with an infected patient. During that time, Dr. Bucks will reside alone and will be monitored by state and county health department personnel. In addition, per Stanford Medicine policy, Dr. Bucks may not return to the workplace for 21 days. He will be on paid leave during that time. Infectious disease experts and agencies consider 21 days to be the maximum length of the incubation period after exposure to the virus during which symptoms of Ebola virus disease would appear.

I don't see what the big deal is about if you are asked to self-quarantine in your home for 21 days. It's not like she was thrown into prison. She claims her "civil rights were violated". She been "imprisoned". Buzzwords. I've said it before and I will say it again. IMO this is about the money. Watch for it. A big lawsuit is coming.

BBM

She wasn't asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members