Ebola outbreak - general thread #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some schools are going completely overboard. One teacher in Maine was asked to stay away for 3 weeks after visiting Dallas (she was 10 miles from the hospital). Now this teacher visited East Africa (there is no Ebola there) and was also asked to stay away for 3 weeks. I am not sure why she resigned. Were they paying her while she was put on leave or not?

"An elementary school teacher in Louisville, Kentucky, has left her job after being put on paid "precautionary leave" for 21 days over fears of Ebola - even though she'd never been to a country affected by the Ebola outbreak."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentucky-teacher-resigns-amid-ebola-scare/

^^^ This right here is very interesting to me. I learned many years ago that prolonged use of hand sanitizers and antibacterial soaps can also kill the good bacteria a person has along with killing the bad bacteria. I use bleach for so much - including a diluted remedy for ringworm when my boys wrestle as it works better than anything else ever lol...but straight bleach can burn off the top layer of derma and prolonged use of it touching skin can be very bad. So I wonder if these scientists could be onto something.

Right, good thinking. I was thinking of bleach somehow compromising the skin's protection, like a chemical sandpaper. It makes the hands really slick. If you have never experienced, go and get a few drops of bleach on your hand and rinse it right off and you will feel it. But as removing good bacteria, that's a really interesting thought. Sometimes a lightbulb moment is hard for me to come by ! But I do know we scrub and scrub away all of our protections daily. Like the scrubby / exfoliating soaps and then the little ribbon thing people use in the shower , its' like a soft sand paper . Our skin is meant to protect us through its natural oils and we scrub them off every day off of every inch of our body . All good questions that need answers.

Some schools are going completely overboard. One teacher in Maine was asked to stay away for 3 weeks after visiting Dallas (she was 10 miles from the hospital). Now this teacher visited East Africa (there is no Ebola there) and was also asked to stay away for 3 weeks. I am not sure why she resigned. Were they paying her while she was put on leave or not?

"An elementary school teacher in Louisville, Kentucky, has left her job after being put on paid "precautionary leave" for 21 days over fears of Ebola - even though she'd never been to a country affected by the Ebola outbreak."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentucky-teacher-resigns-amid-ebola-scare/

Only my opinion, but schools are not the only ones going overboard. The states of New Jersey & Maine immediately pop into my mind. Again, just my opinion, but precaution & hysteria are 2 different animals. If we so choose we could be hysterically scared of many things in our every day lives. I have to fight daily with my irrational fear of driving on the wild freeways here in the DWF metroplex.

Right, good thinking. I was thinking of bleach somehow compromising the skin's protection, like a chemical sandpaper.

I think it depends how often and why you are using it. If you are using it every hour then yeah it could definitely dry out/damage your skin especially if you are sensitive, and if your skin starts cracking/peeling that has to compromise its ability to protect.

OT but I have a genetic predisposition to eczema/dermatitis, I had to become religious about wearing rubber gloves when doing dishes/cleaning because a flair up on hands can take weeks to go away. No way would I use hand sanitizer frequently, or touch bleach. I would wear gloves if I had to touch "germy" things frequently before I would use harsh products on my hands several times a day (fyi Casabella Premium Waterblock (pink) rubber gloves are fantastic, consider them the Cadillac of rubber cleaning gloves, worth investing in and would make a good gift for those that need them).

WHO June 5 report:
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/137510/1/roadmapsitrep_5Nov14_eng.pdf?ua=1

Liberia is puzzling me. The volunteer I follow on Instagram posts' Seem to contradict Liberias's numbers. I hope the numbers are down, and if so, why are seirra leone's still rising? What is the difference?

Different places. Different situations.

When you read those numbers closely, are you bracing for 170,000 cases by December like the fear-mongers want us to believe? They're going to really have to get to work and try harder if they're going to come anywhere close to that.

Different places. Different situations.

When you read those numbers closely, are you bracing for 170,000 cases by December like the fear-mongers want us to believe? They're going to really have to get to work and try harder if they're going to come anywhere close to that.

I find it very annoying that lying has become commonplace among leaders. I don't know why I expected better from health organizations (WHO). The projections made by modelers back in the summer were frightening; it appears they were wrong, very wrong. And thank god they were wrong.

I realize the rest of the world was slack in responding and now is playing catch up, but someone in charge needs to reevaluate what is truly needed. Right now liberia has clinics with empty beds and a handful of new cases while Sierra Leone has citizens dying in the streets. Jmo I'd really like to see someone take charge. We need a leader.

Only my opinion, but schools are not the only ones going overboard. The states of New Jersey & Maine immediately pop into my mind. Again, just my opinion, but precaution & hysteria are 2 different animals. If we so choose we could be hysterically scared of many things in our every day lives. I have to fight daily with my irrational fear of driving on the wild freeways here in the DWF metroplex.

bbm

That fear is not an irrational fear.
I have lived that nightmare.

Liberia is puzzling me. The volunteer I follow on Instagram posts' Seem to contradict Liberias's numbers. I hope the numbers are down, and if so, why are seirra leone's still rising? What is the difference?

Liberia saw a huge drop in people at the clinics after the mandatory cremation rule was put into effect. If many or even most folks are dying at home and being secretly buried the number of ebola infections would be way off.

In addition I read in a few places that WHO officials in Africa are often appointed for political reasons, we can assume some completely incompetent individuals that happen to be a relative of some big shot get appointed with NO experience regarding epidemics. Are those the people in charge of reporting the numbers?

In an internal draft document obtained by The Associated Press last month, WHO accused its Africa office of initially botching the response to Ebola, deriding many of its regional staff members as "politically motivated appointments." The report said WHO staff in Africa refused to help get visas for outside experts and compromised the containment effort in other ways.

http://m.timesfreepress.com/news/20...-world-health-organization-pick/?breakingnews

Amber Vinson will be on The Today Show this morning.

Amber Vinson will be on The Today Show this morning.

OMG! Don't get me started on this woman. She treated an EBOLA patient who DIED...her co-worker contracted EBOLA, yet she sees nothing wrong with getting on a commercial flight. She said (per this interview that was just on) (or rather, Matt Lauer said, I think) that she feels she did "nothing wrong." Excuse me? You, then, tested positive for EBOLA!!! And it is only by the grace of God that you didn't infect hoards of people through your actions! Yet, she still considers herself a consummate healthcare professional of the highest degree.

Please don't consider this bashing her. I have merely stated the facts that are known, as well as her own personal opinion of herself, which you can hear, from her own mouth, by logging on the the Today Show website, and watching for yourself.

http://www.today.com/

OMG! Don't get me started on this woman. She treated an EBOLA patient who DIED...her co-worker contracted EBOLA, yet she sees nothing wrong with getting on a commercial flight. She said (per this interview that was just on) (or rather, Matt Lauer said, I think) that she feels she did "nothing wrong." Excuse me? You, then, tested positive for EBOLA!!! And it is only by the grace of God that you didn't infect hoards of people through your actions! Yet, she still considers herself a consummate healthcare professional of the highest degree.

Please don't consider this bashing her. I have merely stated the facts that are known, as well as her own personal opinion of herself, which you can hear, from her own mouth, by logging on the the Today Show website, and watching for yourself.

http://www.today.com/

BBM
I don't think that is correct. The reason she didn't infect "hoards" of people after she flew on an airplane with a very low grade fever is that this virus is just not extremely contagious as the first symptoms are manifesting. If it were, we would have seen SOMEBODY come up with ebola after being exposed to Amber once she began feeling off. Same with Mr. Duncan. But no one. NOT ONE. Only two victims of Mr. Duncan's illness, and only once he was afflicted with copius vomiting and diarrhea in the hospital and his viral load was extremely high.

I was on the record as someone critical of Amber's decision to travel. But it just didn't play out as we all feared and I don't think that's because of some divine miracle. People have overestimated and overstated the contagious nature of the disease in the early phase of symptoms.

I find it very annoying that lying has become commonplace among leaders. I don't know why I expected better from health organizations (WHO). The projections made by modelers back in the summer were frightening; it appears they were wrong, very wrong. And thank god they were wrong.

I realize the rest of the world was slack in responding and now is playing catch up, but someone in charge needs to reevaluate what is truly needed. Right now liberia has clinics with empty beds and a handful of new cases while Sierra Leone has citizens dying in the streets. Jmo I'd really like to see someone take charge. We need a leader.

Quoting myself again :shame:.

I wanted to clarify - we need a leader. We meant the ebola international response teams.

And have i mentioned i despise the new ios update on my iPad? It makes posting here almost impossible. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnaNikiSB
Back