Found Deceased Esther Wallace, 47, Missing, near Orange, NSW, 30th November 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Behind paywall, but it says Esther's body was found where emergency services were searching 2km north of Federal Falls, adjacent to Boree Creek and within several hundred metres from the area.
It's unclear how she died.

Also said that a cadaver dog was supposed to search on Sunday afternoon but was called to a different job at the last minute :mad:

Soft paywall - Lifeline and Beyond Blue numbers attached, and not being treated as suspicious, so it appears to be deemed suicide.

"I think we found about three or four garments in all, along with the torch that we believe she had on the evening she went missing," Acting Superintendent Gerard Lawson said.

"I'm told by the experts that your body actually starts to overheat when you're suffering from hypothermia and people are quite commonly known to start discarding clothing.

Overnight conditions in Orange have been unseasonably cold, with temperatures dropping to almost freezing.

"I think we found about three or four garments in all, along with the torch that we believe she had on the evening she went missing," Acting Superintendent Gerard Lawson said.

"I'm told by the experts that your body actually starts to overheat when you're suffering from hypothermia and people are quite commonly known to start discarding clothing.

Overnight conditions in Orange have been unseasonably cold, with temperatures dropping to almost freezing.
Paradoxical undressing. It's a classic, known phenomenon associated with endstage hypothermia. There are a bunch of speculative ideas as to why people strip, but as far as I know, once someone gets to that point, they don't survive, so there's no one to ask why they did it.

Ah yes I wondered when we were going to hear the reason she went off by herself.

I noticed that this article doesn't have the Lifeline or Beyond Blue links.

Sounds to me like she got lost and had no intention of taking her life.
It does seem she spent time trying to find the way out.

Acting Superintendent Lawson said Ms Wallace and her partner had argued shortly before she vanished into the scrub.

"I believe there might have been a bit of a disagreement about the right way to get out of that area," he said.

"He was able to make his way out.

Insp David Maher from the Central West police district said Wallace is believed to have died of hypothermia.

“It’s just a terrible accident, we believe,” Maher said on Monday.

The Orange region experienced weather extremes of below-zero temperatures, rain and dry heat in the days Wallace was missing.

Maher said officers from the criminal investigation unit will continue to make inquiries, and a report is being prepared for the coroner.

“At this time, it’s not suspicious,” he said.

Insp David Maher from the Central West police district said Wallace is believed to have died of hypothermia.

“It’s just a terrible accident, we believe,” Maher said on Monday.

The Orange region experienced weather extremes of below-zero temperatures, rain and dry heat in the days Wallace was missing.

Maher said officers from the criminal investigation unit will continue to make inquiries, and a report is being prepared for the coroner.

“At this time, it’s not suspicious,” he said.
I dunno, guess we can only go by what the companion said happened out there and what police are saying. Difficult for them, family seem to suspect he contributed to the events.

Behind paywall I think. But posting because some may be able to see it.

To paraphrase.

Seems a needle was found and is being tested. And Esther's mental health issues will be part of the coroners report.
LE stressed her partner is not to blame though some members of the small community do.

A different search would have been done if Police had known about her mental health issues.
She may have been frightened by the searchers and retreated further :(

Behind paywall I think. But posting because some may be able to see it.

To paraphrase.

Seems a needle was found and is being tested. And Esther's mental health issues will be part of the coroners report.
LE stressed her partner is not to blame though some members of the small community do.

A different search would have been done if Police had known about her mental health issues.
She may have been frightened by the searchers and retreated further :(

* Esther found in bush so dense you couldn't see someone standing next to you
* Confirmed that clothing evidence suggests paradoxical undressing due to hypothermia
* Volunteer injuries included broken bones, twisted ankles, and snake bite (also possibly anaphylaxis? Article is slightly unclear)
* Search was four times longer than any previous search Orange unit had conducted

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee
Back