Explosion at the Boston Marathon #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Emerson has an interesting background. He's been around for awhile. I (vaguely) remember reading his stuff in The New Republic back when it was good. Wiki has a decent look at his bona fides: http://tinyurl.com/c6z4hg6

As I was going through this thread from last night and looking at these pics, that was the first thought that popped in my head, that 3 different news stories said the guy had a backwards white cap and grey sweatshirt which the guy in the pics did not have and hardly anyone was making that point, on here or elsewhere. There were also no stories of sources saying another suspect was a guy wearing a blue jumpsuit (something that is pretty descriptive and stands out if it were true). I kept on thinking, what is making people hone in on these two other than a nice red circle being drawn on the ground, the fact they both have backpacks/dufflebags and the guy just happens to wear a white hat (but not backwards).

I agree. Never heard the blue tracksuit theory...

As I was going through this thread from last night and looking at these pics, that was the first thought that popped in my head, that 3 different news stories said the guy had a backwards white cap and grey sweatshirt which the guy in the pics did not have and hardly anyone was making that point, on here or elsewhere. There were also no stories of sources saying another suspect was a guy wearing a blue jumpsuit (something that is pretty descriptive and stands out if it were true). I kept on thinking, what is making people hone in on these two other than a nice red circle being drawn on the ground, the fact they both have backpacks/dufflebags and the guy just happens to wear a white hat (but not backwards).

As best as I know, the two guys together got singled out because of an apparent photo that was supposedly released only to media from LE, on the premise that it be kept confidential and not released. I'd have to go back to see if I could find the original link where a media site first said that.

In print however, I only ever saw the first description of the backwards hat with grey hoodie and black jacket.

The leak didn't even say the two were seen together. But we assumed that. I include myself in here, because despite trying to stay objective, it was easy to get swept away.

http://www.steveemerson.com/about/

Steven Emerson is considered one of the leading authorities on Islamic extremist networks, financing and operations. He serves as the Executive Director of The Investigative Project on Terrorism, one of the world's largest storehouses of archival data and intelligence on Islamic and Middle Eastern terrorist groups. Emerson and his staff frequently provide briefings to U.S. government and law enforcement agencies, members of Congress and congressional committees, and print and electronic media, both national and international. Since 9-11, Emerson has testified before and briefed Congress dozens of times on terrorist financing and operational networks of Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad, and the rest of the worldwide Islamic militant spectrum.

**more at link

And this:

(link above)

Emerson is recognized as one of the first terrorism experts to have testified and warned about the threat of Islamic militant networks operating in the United States and their connections worldwide. In a pioneering congressional testimony delivered in 1998, he specifically warned about the threat of Osama Bin Laden's network. Nearly every one of the terrorist suspects and groups first identified in his 1994 film have been indicted, convicted, or deported since 9-11.

Steve Emerson has an interesting background. He's been around for awhile. I (vaguely) remember reading his stuff in The New Republic back when it was good. Wiki has a decent look at his bona fides: http://tinyurl.com/c6z4hg6

Was going to link that too.

"Back when it was good" ... Hahaha... That's going back pretty far, for TNR!

The Associated Press first reported at about 2 p.m. Wednesday that a suspect had been “taken into custody” and was “expected in federal court” on the South Boston waterfront.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...wo-suspects/eDuBdL4QhkcMVwhlrVBrcJ/story.html

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano testified today before a congressional committee that some of the video collected from near the Boston Marathon finish line had raised questions.

She said there were “individuals” the FBI would like to speak to. “I wouldn’t characterize them as ‘suspects’ under the technical term. But we need the public’s help in locating these individuals,” she said.

bbm, it's as thou she is asking for permission.

You should see what I say about myself on MY website lol... :rolleyes:

None of my sources are ever good enough in your opinion.
Perhaps scroll will work better for you.

Would save you some time.

Do you think citing the guy's description of himself is going to give you an accurate picture? Honestly?

He is a commentator - therefore he will have those who agree with his commentary and those who criticize. At least the wiki links to both.

Regarding your BBM.

There was a very lenghty discussion regarding the photos and your questions were raised many times. Some pictures/posts were removed, so I'm not sure the thread really shows all the discussion.

Just wanted to let you know.:seeya:

Do you think citing the guy's description of himself is going to give you an accurate picture? Honestly?

He is a commentator - therefore he will have those who agree with his commentary and those who criticize. At least the wiki links to both.

Quotes from other people...

What they're saying about Steven Emerson

"Steve has been on the cutting edge of [investigating terrorism] for many, many years... he has provided an extremely valuable service."
- Robert Blitzer, retired FBI Counterterrorism Chief

"[Steve] has been doing this a very long time, he is very professional, he is very thorough... Steve produces very unique, very significant information."
- Steven Pomerantz, former Assistant Director of the FBI, former Chief of Counterterrorism of the FBI

"When we would ask FBI if there were criminal violations of support to terrorism such as establishing Web sites soliciting funds or other means of terrorist financing, we would get blank stares. Rick Newcomb's office at Treasury was trying to give the FBI some guidance on where to look for terrorist money, but to little avail. When FBI said there were no Web site in the U.S. that were recruiting jihadists for training in Afghanistan or soliciting money for terrorist front groups, I asked Steve Emerson to check. Emerson had written the book American Jihad, which had told me more than the FBI ever had about radical Islamic groups in the U.S. Within days, Emerson had a long list of Web sites sitting on servers in the United States. I passed the list to Justice and the FBI…"
- Richard A. Clarke, former chief of counter-terrorism for National Security Council, Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror, pp217.

"'I think of Steve as the Paul Revere of terrorism'… [Clarke] credits Emerson with repeatedly warning of Al Qaeda sleeper cells in the United States. He adds that he would attend Emerson's speeches whenever possible because 'we'd always learn things we weren't hearing from the FBI or CIA, things which almost always proved to be true.'"
- Richard Clarke, former head of NSC Counterterrorism, in a feature article on Emerson in Brown Alumni Magazine

"…Emerson was helpful in preparing to cross-examine defense witnesses in the [1993 World Trade Center bombings] case....He's a valuable source of information and knowledge. And in terms of trying to find places to look for evidence, he's a very good person to talk to. He's got a lot of insight."
- Andrew McCarthy, Assistant U.S. Attorney who prosecuted the 1993 World Trade Center bombings

"[Emerson is] the most authoritative expert on Middle Eastern terrorism in the United States today and whose investigations have uncovered the existence of terrorist groups operating in the United States today…This country owes a great deal of gratitude to him."
- Senator John Kyl (Arizona)

"Mr. Emerson has for so long been right on [his] predictions about our long fight against terrorism... Mr. Emerson has shared his very important insights with this subcommittee on a number of occasions in recent years. His expertise is based on daily contact with sources in government and key financial institutions as well as his participation in major terrorist financing cases."
- U.S. Representative Ed Royce (California)

"[The Investigative Project] was a decade ahead of its time in focusing on the terrorist threat to the United States and to our homeland from Islamic extremist..."
- U.S. Representative Brad Sherman (California)

"Steve Emerson, who I think is the best in the world he's got an overview of the war on terror kinda guy, he's got a lot of information coming in."
- Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor, December 29, 2006

"Steve was also the one who before 9/11 was saying, 'it's coming, it's coming, it's coming', and Islamic terrorists are going to hit us, and 9/11 came, and he was one of the
only ones screaming about it at the time."
- Dan Abrams, The Abrams Report, June 9, 2005

"Steve Emerson, you have been a fighter, a hero in the battle against terrorism in this country."
- John Kasich, Heartland with John Kasich, December 10, 2005

"Steve Emerson is one of the nation's best national security correspondents. His investigative work on radical Islamic fundamentalism is absolutely critical to this nation's national security. There is no one else who has exhibited the same expertise, courage and determination to tackle this vital issue."
- A.M. Rosenthal, former managing editor of NY Times.

Same link.

Not that I think that will satisfy you either.

You should see what I say about myself on MY website lol... :rolleyes:
Your Wiki entry has been amended to read, "In recent days, has troubled the faithful by reading at Reddit and 4Chan, and has linked a story in the Daily Mail." lol j/k

The problem is that his own website will of course, only show the glowing praise he has received, and not the other side of the coin. It's not a very objective look.

Your Wiki entry has been amended to read, "In recent days, has troubled the faithful by reading at Reddit and 4Chan, and has linked a story in the Daily Mail." lol j/k

:floorlaugh:

Needed that laugh. Especially after coming away with feeling the need for a shower after spending time on reddit and 4chan! :what:

For Example:

Emerson has a long history of getting into hot water over his anti-Muslim rhetoric. In the 1998 nuclear standoff between India and Pakistan, Emerson fed reporters with an informant who said Pakistan was set to strike India with a nuclear weapon. The media eventually found the informant to be unreliable – but not until international media had used Emerson’s source and intensified an international crisis.

He also incorrectly pinned the OKC Bombing as done by Muslims.

The problem is that his own website will of course, only show the glowing praise he has received, and not the other side of the coin. It's not a very objective look.

I provided a link that I found interesting.
I am not preventing any others from using google.
That's what I did.

Instead of complaining about a source I used, why not use that time to find a link that is more suitable for you?

I provided a link that I found interesting.
I am not preventing any others from using google.
That's what I did.

Instead of complaining about a source I used, why not use that time to find a link that is more suitable for you?

I did. I'm simply of the opinion that his personal website will not show anything negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth