DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 23s
RT @cambridgepolice: Vigil at Cambridge City Hall tonight at 7 p.m

Matthew Keys‏@TheMatthewKeys4m
Just in: Law enforcement source tells me person -- possible suspect -- being interviewed right now by authorities.

The circuit board fragments shown in the photos show components far too big to be from cell phones, and are almost certainly from an R/C toy. Everything inside a cell phone is super miniaturized.

Matthew Keys‏@TheMatthewKeys4m
Just in: Law enforcement source tells me person -- possible suspect -- being interviewed right now by authorities.
Matthew needs to kick back and drink a Samuel Adams. We've now reached saturation point and believe nothing.

(Hope he's right though, of course.)

Your post made me realize the bombs were triggered with the parts from a hobby R/C car. When I looked at the bomb component photos released by the FBI and I discovered that the circuit remnants are not from timers, but from the wireless receiver and motor speed control boards of a remote control toy car/plane/helicopter.

Initial analysis here:
http://imgur.com/GHkXoqf

Reddit thread with more info from R/C hobbyists
http://www.reddit.com/r/findbostonbombers/comments/1ciwrx/electronic_bomb_component_analysis/

What we discovered last night was that
1. There were two different model R/C transmitter receivers used
2. Depending on the design, these remotes can work from up to 1000 ft and beyond.
3. It would be fairly easy to modify an R/C car to detonate the bomb. All you'd have to do is disconnect the drive motor and in its place put a model rocket ignitor or glow plug.

Based on this information you can expect that:
-The perpetrator(s) were in relative proximity to the bombs when they detonated
-The remote transmitters would have to be concealed on their person (either in a bulky jacket, or another bag)
- They most likely procured two R/C cars and scavenged the battery, tx/rx units, and motor speed control boards, throwing out the motors/wheels/cases. A lot of the key parts for this device, including/glow plugs and ignitors can be purchased at a hobby shop.

:welcome: ericnot!

Amazing first post! Thank you for this contribution!

The circuit board fragments shown in the photos show components far too big to be from cell phones, and are almost certainly from an R/C toy. Everything inside a cell phone is super miniaturized.

So glad you joined! Can you explain in more detail to those of us unfamiliar with r/c circuit boards? With the right info & pictures, we can compare & maybe find out the brand. Or is that impossible?

Thanks for the update!

Very confusing situation. I hope some light is shed on it soon.

Has there been any further release today of info about survivors?

They've had docs updating periodically. Al seem to believe that all patients who were brought alive to the hospitals will survive their wounds. Number of critical continues to decrease.

No link, just what I have been seeing on local TV on and off thru the day.

Your post made me realize the bombs were triggered with the parts from a hobby R/C car. When I looked at the bomb component photos released by the FBI and I discovered that the circuit remnants are not from timers, but from the wireless receiver and motor speed control boards of a remote control toy car/plane/helicopter.

Initial analysis here:
http://imgur.com/GHkXoqf

Reddit thread with more info from R/C hobbyists
http://www.reddit.com/r/findbostonbombers/comments/1ciwrx/electronic_bomb_component_analysis/

What we discovered last night was that
1. There were two different model R/C transmitter receivers used
2. Depending on the design, these remotes can work from up to 1000 ft and beyond.
3. It would be fairly easy to modify an R/C car to detonate the bomb. All you'd have to do is disconnect the drive motor and in its place put a model rocket ignitor or glow plug.

Based on this information you can expect that:
-The perpetrator(s) were in relative proximity to the bombs when they detonated
-The remote transmitters would have to be concealed on their person (either in a bulky jacket, or another bag)
- They most likely procured two R/C cars and scavenged the battery, tx/rx units, and motor speed control boards, throwing out the motors/wheels/cases. A lot of the key parts for this device, including/glow plugs and ignitors can be purchased at a hobby shop.

Any theories as to why there were so many unexploded bombs?

The only three I can come up with is that
a. the suspect got hit by something in the second blast and was unable to go on

b. response was too great and someone was paying attention to him, so he had to leave without triggering the others.

c. the other bombs were for the first responders and the reaction/response to the first blasts was too quick, too large and too organized to make it safe for him to set off the other bombs.

They've had docs updating periodically. Al seem to believe that all patients who were brought alive to the hospitals will survive their wounds. Number of critical continues to decrease.

Thanks. Has there been any info on Martin's mother or sister? Or Jeff (the man in the wheelchair)?

Hey ericnot, my son has those little cars that do tricks so-to-speak, use a little remote control - I'm talking maybe just a tiny bit bigger than a matchbox car. Are you referring to a big r/c vehicle? Are there several size circuit boards for various r/c? I can't believe none of us thought if this! Wow! Again, thank you! Curious to see how this turns out...

i'm in the same boat... basic cable, and an old desk top that does not play video very well b/c my 7 month old (don't buy samsung!!) laptop is in for repair.

:seeya:

We should start a support group! The Technologically-Unfortunate and Broadcast-Challenged League.

b. response was too great and someone was paying attention to him, so he had to leave without triggering the others.

c. the other bombs were for the first responders and the reaction/response to the first blasts was too quick, too large and too organized to make it safe for him to set off the other bombs.

They have since confirmed there were only 2 bombs...the 2 that exploded. No others were in fact found.

I have also seen that as well which confuses me a bit.

Martin's mother and at least one other woman have serious brain injuries. It's possible others do as well.

Just from watching friends and family updating:
I know there are at least 3 who are still extremely critical.
I believe 2 women and a man if I remember correctly.

I am not sure why they aren't being reported that way...
but the family makes it clear they are not sure they will survive.
So take it for what it worth. :twocents:

What other bombs? Where in the world are you getting that information from?

Thanks. Has there been any info on Martin's mother or sister? Or Jeff (the man in the wheelchair)?

Both families made statements yesterday. Let me see if I can find links. Just recalling what I heard, Martin's father didn't comment much on the health of his wife or daughter, but the wheelchair-driven man's dad said that this son is improving greatly.

CNN just had picture of the westin podium with all the microphones....saying they are waiting on press conference to start....wonder if they will talk after the President?

What unexploded bombs? I thought those reports were incorrect. :waitasec:

I found a white male wearing a white baseball cap on backwards with a light colored hoodie under a black jacket.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hahatango/8652813393/sizes/k/in/set-72157633252445135/"]All sizes | DSC03128 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

Top left, right above the guy in the orange jacket.

I haven't seen any further updates.
Martin's sister lost her leg, his mother has a brain injury and Jeff is stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member