Facial Masks - Coronavirus

• Thread starter Deleted member 158085
  • Start date
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can you convert a bra?

Yes...Dr Elena Bodnar demonstrates her Emergency Bra at the MIT Museum in Cambridge, Massachusetts, last night:

article-1316052-0B6432A1000005DC-174_468x315.jpg

article-1316052-0B6431CF000005DC-181_468x286.jpg

article-1316052-0B642F74000005DC-456_468x286.jpg

The bra that can be converted into a life-saving face mask | Daily Mail Online

You can search Olson mask on YouTube for a tutorial. I have tweaked the pattern a bit to make sure it fits everyone. And I also added a top stitch around the top and bottom of the mask so it holds its shape better when washed. Some people are also adding a bit of interfacing as a filter and to hold its shape.
I just happened to come across this YouTube tutorial for the Olson Mask while looking for a different one:

The right sized elastic is getting harder to find. If anyone wants an explanation of how to make ties, just let me know.

Also, on the Olson mask I recommend not sewing a hair tie in. Instead, sew up the end and then thread elastic through it so you can size it easier.

My daughter and I have made about 60 cotton face masks so far, mostly adult size but about a dozen kids' size. We use a pattern provided by the hospital that has long ties. We have a system...she cuts out the mask and the ties and I iron the pieces while she sews. We have it down to about 5 minutes a mask. We are making self-fabric ties which is more time consuming than elastic but we have a little metal thing you feed the fabric through that makes it into a binding tape shape that you iron as it comes out of the end. It's fiddly at first but once I got the hang of it I ran strips through there like a robot. Her pharmacy co-workers are going nuts over them and starting to donate the fabric for more. We probably spent about $50 on materials but the time spent together doing it is worth so much more.

ETA: these are not the medical-grade N95 type masks, but are double thickness of cotton with pleating. They do help people remember not to touch their face and help keep some germs out if not all.

Thank you for making this thread! I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

I have a 2-pack of masks on order, made with 95% cotton/5% spandex. The masks are designed with a filter pocket, but do not include a filter. What can I use for a filter?Something a slightly crafty, but non-sewing individual could make?

Also, the masks themselves are totally washable but I assume I'd need to use a fresh filter each time?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thank you for making this thread! I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

I have a 2-pack of masks on order, made with 95% cotton/5% spandex. The masks are designed with a filter pocket, but do not include a filter. What can I use for a filter?Something a slightly crafty, but non-sewing individual could make?

Also, the masks themselves are totally washable but I assume I'd need to use a fresh filter each time?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

You could use vacuum cleaner bags as other posters have mentioned.

Here is a complete design for an ER doctor, made by his wife, but I think you could use the vacuum bags for filters.

You could use vacuum cleaner bags as other posters have mentioned.

Here is a complete design for an ER doctor, made by his wife, but I think you could use the vacuum bags for filters.
Thank you NuttMegg for the great video! I think I'll need a filter about 5" x 3.5" so based on her way of cutting the bag open, I should be able to get a few filters from each bag. Very interesting! And Amazon even has vacuum bags still available! I guess for this purpose, brands would be about the same? I use a canister vac so I haven't had to buy bags in a long time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase
Back