Facial Masks - Coronavirus

• Thread starter Deleted member 158085
  • Start date
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you NuttMegg for the great video! I think I'll need a filter about 5" x 3.5" so based on her way of cutting the bag open, I should be able to get a few filters from each bag. Very interesting! And Amazon even has vacuum bags still available! I guess for this purpose, brands would be about the same? I use a canister vac so I haven't had to buy bags in a long time.
I think you have to use the "HEPA filter vacuum bags", because they capture the tiny micron size. Others have mentioned this, above. I see several brands on Amazon, I'd buy right now if I were you, for yourself and for other sewing minded friends if this turns into a long haul. I see on Amazon the Kirby vacuum bags are billed as "Allergen reduction filters". Maybe someone else could weigh in if these are the style to get.
  • Kirby Generation 3, 4, 5, 6, Ultimate G and Sentria cloth HEPA Bags 6 Pack
  • Disposable Kirby vacuum bags
  • Traps 99.97% of particles as small as .1 microns

Last edited:
My daughter and I have made about 60 cotton face masks so far, mostly adult size but about a dozen kids' size. We use a pattern provided by the hospital that has long ties. We have a system...she cuts out the mask and the ties and I iron the pieces while she sews. We have it down to about 5 minutes a mask. We are making self-fabric ties which is more time consuming than elastic but we have a little metal thing you feed the fabric through that makes it into a binding tape shape that you iron as it comes out of the end. It's fiddly at first but once I got the hang of it I ran strips through there like a robot. Her pharmacy co-workers are going nuts over them and starting to donate the fabric for more. We probably spent about $50 on materials but the time spent together doing it is worth so much more.

ETA: these are not the medical-grade N95 type masks, but are double thickness of cotton with pleating. They do help people remember not to touch their face and help keep some germs out if not all.
I sent away for the metal thingamajig, too!

I don't sew but I came across this awesome idea on FB.

Magen DeAnn Edwards

90386514_10100980605357829_7921717322320969728_n.jpg

91616371_10100980605377789_2023435298750332928_n.jpg

90269015_10100980605367809_6127492543983648768_n.jpg

I remembered that I had some triangle bandages here at home so I decided to experiment in making an improvised mask out of one of them. They are 40"x 40"x 56".

I added paper towel using duct tape to improve on the filtering. This first attempt is okay but I see some room for improvement.

It sure is better than nothing.

I assume these cloth masks have to be changed each day at least. What is the proper sanitizing protocol between uses?

I don't sew at all, so I'm going to have to try the DIY method that uses hair ties. I'm a little confused on the filter that needs to go inside. The one on the video appeared to be a paper-type material but some of the vacuum bags on Amazon are cloth?

Could someone point me in the direction of what filters you are using? TIA!

Also, roughly how many mask inserts could I get per filter so I know how many packs I should buy for my family?

Appreciate any help and direction! TIA

Veterinarian offices, pet grooming, animal shelters, etc. are sources of masks that possibly could use cloth masks rather than disposables.

The parameters for masks (besides the 'frills') fall into 2 categories - the ones that need to be larger and have ties to fit over the n85 masks to extend their use. The stand alone will need to conform to the nose.

I don't sew at all, so I'm going to have to try the DIY method that uses hair ties. I'm a little confused on the filter that needs to go inside. The one on the video appeared to be a paper-type material but some of the vacuum bags on Amazon are cloth?

Could someone point me in the direction of what filters you are using? TIA!

Also, roughly how many mask inserts could I get per filter so I know how many packs I should buy for my family?

Appreciate any help and direction! TIA

I am trying to figure out the same thing. The filter issue is confusing me. This link seems helpful (except I don’t sew either lol).. can anyone weigh in on this method?

How to make a Face Mask Filter with HEPA Fabric - video tutorial — SewCanShe | Free Sewing Patterns and Tutorials

I bought plastic spot ties today for my masks for the nose bridge. I'm not sure how long double-sided tape holds up. Also, pipe cleaners eventually rust, paper spot ties may disintegrate.

I may be going overboard with this, but I'd like to think cloth masks will be washed and used often.

Thoughts?

Rowan shares designs, instructions for 3D-printed face mask | Rowan Today | Rowan University

After real-world testing by two regional hospitals, Rowan University is releasing the designs and instructions for a 3D-printed face mask that can be washed, disinfected and reused in case of an emergency shortage.

Offered in three sizes, the face mask design features a replaceable filter that can be fitted with readily available sterile, nonwoven materials. The mask can be dipped in hot water and molded to the individual’s face.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends N95 masks to protect health care workers against coronavirus. While Rowan’s mask is not intended to substitute for the N95 model, it provides a mechanical barrier in the absence of standard personal protective equipment, or PPE.

After receiving requests from Cooper Medical School of Rowan University and Inspira Health for a 3D-printed face mask, Rowan faculty and students began working on the project on March 22. Adapted from a design shared by Billings Clinic Foundation, the masks were tested by health care providers at Cooper University Healthcare and Inspira Health.

“The collaborative effort involved the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering, as well as colleges throughout the University, who worked day and night to solve the problem,” said Rowan’s president, Dr. Ali Houshmand.

“We’re getting requests from all over the country,” Houshmand said. “I’m proud we can share the design so anyone with a 3D printer can produce these masks anywhere in the world.”

For the mask design and instructions, visit rowan.edu/mask

I bought plastic spot ties today for my masks for the nose bridge. I'm not sure how long double-sided tape holds up. Also, pipe cleaners eventually rust, paper spot ties may disintegrate.

I may be going overboard with this, but I'd like to think cloth masks will be washed and used often.

Thoughts?
I hadn't thought of that but it's a good point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassysyl
Back