Facial Masks - Coronavirus

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 158085
  • Start date Start date
Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
I just saw a video by Dr Simon Freilich explaining why he feels using HEPA filters in face masks is not advised. I'm happy to post the link to the video if it is allowed, otherwise it can be found via a Google or Twitter search. The questions/comments below the video offer additional information as well.

@TGIRecovered
I reported my other post for being in the wrong place.

Rather than cotton ties or bias tape, could use ribbon or tshirt fabric (less sewing required)

I believe you could. Here's an easy pattern with a pocket and could put a removable aluminum foil or bread tie in the top area for the nose. I haven't been able to get off my backside to make some for my own family, (but to be fair, I think I have flu - (just flu flu, I skipped the flu shot this year)

You don't have to watch the entire thing -- just skip around to get the gist. ...

This is the super fast version, I'm jealous

Last edited:
I just saw a video by Dr Simon Freilich explaining why he feels using HEPA filters in face masks is not advised. I'm happy to post the link to the video if it is allowed, otherwise it can be found via a Google or Twitter search. The questions/comments below the video offer additional information as well.

Please post your video.

Thanks.

@NuttMegg : Apologies - I posted the same video you posted! The one with the doctor using the vacuum-cleaner HEPA filter.

I canceled the order I had just made after watching 60 seconds of his video.

I bought plastic spot ties today for my masks for the nose bridge. I'm not sure how long double-sided tape holds up. Also, pipe cleaners eventually rust, paper spot ties may disintegrate.

I may be going overboard with this, but I'd like to think cloth masks will be washed and used often.

Thoughts?
What are spot ties? I’ve not heard that term.

I canceled the order I had just made after watching 60 seconds of his video.

The alternative he offers is to buy N95 filters off of amazon. Which all come from China and are back ordered for weeks. Hard pass.

There is so much misinformation, confusing information, and contradictory information, that it seems like the best bet is to protect yourself as much as you can when in public, and stay the hell home unless it’s a necessity to go out.

I really like the information in these videos. I've purchased supplies to make myself and family some. There's a pattern in different sizes, it tells you what materials to use etc. These are the masks I posted about previously that I can't find now.
Face Masks for Covid-19 Relief

I plan on using the straps in this video though. Mimi G

I really like the information in these videos. I've purchased supplies to make myself and family some. There's a pattern in different sizes, it tells you what materials to use etc. These are the masks I posted about previously that I can't find now.

I really like this one. I think it can easily be done like the Olson mask, leaving a space for a filter. I feel like the Olson mask pattern is a bit big. I will try this one in the coming days.

Dr Freilich states there can be micro-glass particles in some HEPA filters that are carcinogens & lung irritants.

Dr Freilich’s advice is to contact the specific manufacturer to see if the product is safe to repurpose for facemask use. I’m skeptical any representative for any company would approve that though- without a study. They’d be setting themselves up for future lawsuits, imo.

So much to consider!

Thank you for posting this information. I will be making these. Supplies are getting harder to find. Ugh.

I saw some info on using autoclave sheets . They are the sheets used to wrap instruments before sterilization.
Not home right now but if I can remember I’ll look for it later

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annabella2320