Facial Masks - Coronavirus

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 158085
  • Start date Start date
Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
I really like this one. I think it can easily be done like the Olson mask, leaving a space for a filter. I feel like the Olson mask pattern is a bit big. I will try this one in the coming days.

I like that there are different sizes from child size to adult. I really like the shape of the mask it's closer to how an N95 fits. I like the second link for the straps though. I hear a few complaints about ears hurting due to the straps. They're fine for short term use but if you're wearing them for a long time any bit of comfort helps.

There are benefits for eye cover. This is a very good way to get eye protection as well as extra nose and mouth protection.
Coronavirus (COVID-19): How eyes may play a role in its spread

https://www.allaboutvision.com/en-gb/conditions/coronavirus-and-your-eyes/

Safety Helmet for Workplace Safety Supplies Dust Proof 0.165 kg 2020 - US $9.99

• txcbcy1584095922399.jpg
  • lgyina1584095922592.jpg

Last edited:
Started making masks tonight. Using old high count sheets that you can’t see light through when doubled. I’m making the ties because my bias tape hasn’t arrived yet and it easily doubles if not tripled my time to make one. Thinking I’m going to have to come up with a different way to make the ties. The bias tool won’t be available for awhile on Amazon. I’ll have to check Joann’s. I have requests for 100 masks so I really need to speed up production. I have the fabric just need to speed this process up.

Just raided the online store for my mom and pop quilt shop. Didn’t even think about her until I couldn’t get what I wanted from Joann’s quickly. She has bias tape and tools. Hopefully she ships as quickly as usual. I think she’s in Georgia so hopefully it won’t take too long. Another source for those looking for supplies.

Iron Your Bandanas! :)
A doctor posted on our Nextdoor feed about ways to sanitize. Ironing fabric helps to sanitize it, she says. Here are three of her suggestions.

Irons. Ironing fabric ... near sterilizes it. Iron your bandanas and use a fresh one daily.
Sunshine disinfects. Feel free to hang out the laundry.
Clothes dryer. Helps a lot, but you have to ratchet up the heat.

Huh. An iron. Well, I think that masks are going to be a new fashion trend.

My friend designed some special fabric, just for COVID19 masks.

Check out www.Spoonflower.com

Beautiful fabrics on that website! This company is located here in NC, my state.

I wish I could sew like my mother did. I can do very simple hand sewing but it's slow and tedious, and the results are not pretty!

Beautiful fabrics on that website! This company is located here in NC, my state.

I wish I could sew like my mother did. I can do very simple hand sewing but it's slow and tedious, and the results are not pretty!

I am actually going to break out my old machine, I have a Silohuette, and a pattern for cutting out masks. I am going to use up the stash. But, I also believe that this is going to be not only a fashion trend, but quite possibly required.

So, I am going to find some "man" fabric for my sons. Not just black. Something fun.

Is this a legit site? Because I sort of love this, lol. But only $10?? Site seems kind of sketchy. I think my husband would actually wear this (in black).

You’d be ordering from China, if that matters to you. I don’t mean to come across in a bad way, but I’m not comfortable ordering any PPE from China right now.

This note says that blue shop towels may work as well as N95 filters, and would turn cloth masks into something really safe for us to use.
Let’s get some before the craze begins and it all are gone or expensive af
Using blue shop towels in homemade face masks can filter particles 2x to 3x better than cotton, 3 clothing designers discover after testing dozens of fabrics

This seems safer than making my own filters from an air purifier filter. I was able to pick up some of the blue shop towels at my local tractor supply store. They are doing order online and pickup curbside.

If people are interested in making filters from air purifier filters or vacuum bags, your local hardware store should have. Depot, ace, Lowe’s, etc.

This note says that blue shop towels may work as well as N95 filters, and would turn cloth masks into something really safe for us to use.
Let’s get some before the craze begins and it all are gone or expensive af
Using blue shop towels in homemade face masks can filter particles 2x to 3x better than cotton, 3 clothing designers discover after testing dozens of fabrics
I just stumbled across this same article this morning! Finally, something I actually do have on hand!

The article states: "They discovered that by adding two blue shop towels and using a design that produces a tighter-fitting mask, they could make a mask that could block up to 95% of the particles they could test, while the cotton masks blocked 20% to 60% of the particles."

I've got 95% cotton/5% spandex masks with a filter pocket I am going to try this with. However, a big problem is that my masks don't fit tight over the bridge of my nose; consequently, my glasses fog up. DH and I have been trying to solve this. I've seen patterns with instructions to hot glue twist ties or pipe cleaners to the top of the mask. Think I'll start with pipe cleaners.

And sort of related to masks: DH has a collection of safety goggles from his pre-retirement days. Now that experts are warning us to protect our eyes as well as our nose and mouth, I'll be adding a pair of goggles to round out my lovely facial get-up, lol! Maybe the people wearing bags over their heads had the right idea to start with!:D:p

Here's a long article from the Washington Post about the best face mask materials (apologies if already posted!)

Quote about the blue shop towels:
Peter Tsai, the materials scientist who invented the electrostatic charging technology that N95 masks — the highest-quality medical masks on the market — rely on … recommended using car shop towels as mask material. The towels, available in rolls and often blue in color, would do a better job of filtering droplets than cloth, he said. The material is “very strong,” he said. “And it can be washed with soap and water and reused.” There are YouTube videos that offer tutorials on using this material. The towels, he said, could also be used in conjunction with cloth masks, serving as an additional filtering layer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...830f5e-7420-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html

Iron Your Bandanas! :)
A doctor posted on our Nextdoor feed about ways to sanitize. Ironing fabric helps to sanitize it, she says. Here are three of her suggestions.

Irons. Ironing fabric ... near sterilizes it. Iron your bandanas and use a fresh one daily.
Sunshine disinfects. Feel free to hang out the laundry.
Clothes dryer. Helps a lot, but you have to ratchet up the heat.
I figured this and have been ironing mine. As hot as the steam setting gets on high, I can’t see anything living through it. I sterilized my iron with alcohol, though, before beginning work on the masks for medical workers. I’m sure they wash them first, but still...

I just stumbled across this same article this morning! Finally, something I actually do have on hand!

The article states: "They discovered that by adding two blue shop towels and using a design that produces a tighter-fitting mask, they could make a mask that could block up to 95% of the particles they could test, while the cotton masks blocked 20% to 60% of the particles."

I've got 95% cotton/5% spandex masks with a filter pocket I am going to try this with. However, a big problem is that my masks don't fit tight over the bridge of my nose; consequently, my glasses fog up. DH and I have been trying to solve this. I've seen patterns with instructions to hot glue twist ties or pipe cleaners to the top of the mask. Think I'll start with pipe cleaners.

And sort of related to masks: DH has a collection of safety goggles from his pre-retirement days. Now that experts are warning us to protect our eyes as well as our nose and mouth, I'll be adding a pair of goggles to round out my lovely facial get-up, lol! Maybe the people wearing bags over their heads had the right idea to start with!:D:p

You can try body tape. Maybe the one for sensitive skin since it will be on your face.
I think I need a hybrid mask. The fitted one seems like it would lay flatter but I want it to go under the chin. If I extend it to go under the chin then it really wouldn’t give much room to move your mouth to talk.
Maybe a fitted/ surgical hybrid? ( maybe I’m losing my mind? LOL)

Are you able to sew at all? Hot glue would work, but it’s not going to wash well. If you can sew at all, I recommend just stitching in a piece of fabric at the top the you can put your pipe cleaner in.

More about the shop towels. Here's a video (linked in the article above) of a fellow making an entire mask out of a shop towel with a paper clip, rubber bands, and a stapler! DH loves this.

Are you able to sew at all? Hot glue would work, but it’s not going to wash well. If you can sew at all, I recommend just stitching in a piece of fabric at the top the you can put your pipe cleaner in.
Thank you, thank you! I was wondering about washing it with the hot glue. I have needles and thread - I will see what I can do! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtk1958
Back