Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawyer For Jahi McMath Family Says Brain-Dead Teen Will Be Moved

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — In a live interview on KPIX 5 Sunday morning, Chris Dolan — the attorney for the family of Jahi McMath — said he has arranged for the brain-dead teen to be moved from Children’s Hospital Oakland before a court-ordered Tuesday deadline.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/01/05/dolan-jahi-mcmath-interview/

Interview video at link.

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — In a live interview on KPIX 5 Sunday morning, Chris Dolan — the attorney for the family of Jahi McMath — said he has arranged for the brain-dead teen to be moved from Children’s Hospital Oakland before a court-ordered Tuesday deadline.

Interview video at link.

Well, of course he has "made arrangements". Failing to make arrangements would have defied the judge's ruling.

That does not mean that he is planning to enforce those arrangements. A highly dramatic last minute change of heart by the mother plays right into public shaming of CHO and their "cruelty" to the family.

Dolan loses all hand in this negotiation once CHO removes their vent/ lines/etc and the transport team attaches their vent. It is in the agreement that she is no longer CHO's responsibility the minute this happens in PICU, not when she physically leaves the grounds of the hospital.

Dolan will be spinning the events for his own purpose and claiming the family prevailed and "won" in Friday's ruling. However, CHO is the real winner of the Friday decision and it is only by corrupting the action specified that Dolan can regain control.

Mother is not quite sure of the time line but she certainly wasn't alone while her IV was being fixed.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...describes-jahi-mcmaths-post-surgical-bleeding

Donjeta thanks for the link.

snipped

The girl was brought to the intensive care unit, where her mother was told that caregivers would fix her IV, the document states. After 25-45 minutes, her mother found her sitting up in bed and bleeding from the mouth.

"The nursing staff said 'it was normal' and the mother stayed bedside as the bleeding grew increasingly worse," according to the document. "The nurses gave (her mother) a cup/catch basin for (Jahi) to bleed from her mouth into."

So now it's up to 45 minutes after entering icu from recovery that the heavy bleeding starts.

Is it known how long she was in recovery before the transfer to icu? TIA

Interview video at link.

In his blog he said that he got involved with the family because a friend of his texted him and said that someone was saying his niece was going to get killed, and then he contacted Omari. Is it just me or does he imply here that Omari called him? A random phone call at night is something you get, imo, not something you make after being asked by a friend to call someone.

The family has to understand that the warm body in front of them is just a shell and no longer her.

It has be to be blunt and honest. She is dead. What is left are her earthly remains.

Having to sign the coroner release will be the reality test. I fully expect Dolan will come up with some reason why the mother can't do this, and will force CHO into removing the ventilator. This family has accepted no responsibility from Dec 12 onward and, despite the legal agreement, won't do so now. Expect lots of noise, public appeal, hustle happening out the Dolan/ McMath camp on Monday. They want CHO to be the bad guy and causing "mental duress and irreparable harm" to the family by shutting off the vent.

Guarantee you this.

I found Dr Fisher's report and I was mistaken. It does say "failed apnea test".

http://thaddeuspope.com/images/McMath_EXHIBITS_2_of_2.pdf
pp 59-60

In his blog he said that he got involved with the family because a friend of his texted him and said that someone was saying his niece was going to get killed, and then he contacted Omari. Is it just me or does he imply here that Omari called him? A random phone call at night is something you get, imo, not something you make after being asked by a friend to call someone.

Yes, and that whole interview is just.... I have no words even. He seriously wants us to believe that CHO can talk about what happened to Jahi, but the family wants to know first... sure. Just too many lies in that interview. imo

I found Dr Fisher's report and I was mistaken. It does say "failed apnea test".

http://thaddeuspope.com/images/McMath_EXHIBITS_2_of_2.pdf
pp 59-60

No worries. It can be confusing terminology, because "apnea" means no breathing, and a "failed apnea test" might be interpreted by lay people to mean the patient IS breathing.

The mechanism of testing is to remove the ventilator, and allow sufficient time for the CO2 (carbon dioxide level) to rise to a level where the body's physiological mechanisms "should" kick in for the centrally mediated (brain) respiratory drive. So, a "failed" apnea test means that there was no centrally mediated "brain" efforts to initiate respiration.

Dolan asks... Is the story of Jesus' birth real or a bed time story?

I wanted to share this story with you about the lengths required to keep a child who is vent dependent at home.

In 2008, a nurse I worked with in the PACU, D, had a 4th of July party at her home in PA. Her then 5 year old son, M, was driving around on one of those motorized kid jeeps in their driveway. Under the watchful eyes of his mom and others, He drove his little jeep under a raised pick up truck. Mom became concerned when her son did not reverse and come back out. She went over to her son to get him out of being stuck and realized he was blue and not breathing. She yelled for help and got her son on the ground and began CPR. He was flown to AI duPont Children's Hospital and subsequent studies showed he had fractured his C2 vertebra. He was a quadriplegic and vent dependent at 5 years old.

We raised money within our hospital to help with the expenses for bringing M home. They had to enlarge a room, create bigger doorways to accommodate a motorized wheelchair, a ramp to their front door, buy a van with a wheelchair lift etc. M required 24/7 nursing care. He could shrug slightly and required a head attachment pointer to a computer so he could communicate. He could be off the vent for less than a minute and sometimes his mom could plug his trach to let him get a short sentence out.

The state of Pennsylvania has assisted in his medical care expenses as the costs are astronomical. Accommodations were made at his elementary school and a nurse has to go to school with him and sit through class. He is unable to actively participate in class, but it has been important to D that he try to be as mentally stimulated as possible. M has an older brother who has kind of gotten lost in all of this. D and her husband try to do things with him individually, but all semblance of a previously normal family life has been forever changed. D has taken M to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia for numerous second opinions which have only concurred with AI's. D quit her job so she could take care of M, when not in school. Her life is now filled with the sound of a vent and alarms going off. Shortly before she quit, she broke down and said she wished sometimes that M could have gone to heaven and not survived. She said her life was so hard now, worried about finances, her other son, M and her marriage. The strain of M's accident and subsequent condition has affected them all, not in a positive way.

I have no idea how M is doing now. Jahi's case has reminded me somewhat of M and D. I don't think NW has any idea of the longer range ramifications of the decisions she is making now. Neither did D at the time, and D had the benefit of medical knowledge and comprehension of what physicians were telling her. If NW is successful in taking Jahi home, it is my hope that there will be a huge support system for that family, especially the other children, and as time goes on they will still be present. Presently, Jahi is being cared for by experienced and skilled nurses in a setting that has all the equipment needed within an arm's length. Should Jahi go home, I hope the family is prepared for come what may. JMO.

Thanks for letting me share this lengthy story.

I am reposting the above for the addendum that follows. Thanks for reading.

This morning I googled D to see if I could read of any news about M. Their home, property and contents were sold at Sheriff's auction in August 2013. This is heartbreaking to learn. The cost to care for M surpassed the coverage cap of the insurance. This family had a modest home, did not live large or beyond their means when I was in contact with them. Their primary focus was M, his care and well being and making sure M still had a quality of life despite his severe disability.

There were no lawyers, no windfalls to be had. No hospital to sue or people to manipulate. M was not brain dead or in a vegetative state. I have an enormous sense of compassion for her, her husband and 2 sons. Not so much any more for the family of Jahi. I will selfishly keep my compassion for Jahi and people like D and her family. They IMO are far more deserving. JMO,IMO, JMV

...but it is interesting. Apparently Attorney Dolan has a fairly substantial and favorable reputation.

http://www.cbdlaw.com/Attorneys/Christopher-B-Dolan.shtml

Good. I'm glad. IMO, this family need the most competent representation available, so that the court rulings will "stick", and not be overturned on appeal.

I don't particularly like Dolan, and find him abrasive, and maybe on the really thin edge of what is ethical, but I don't begrudge the family having a competent attorney. It's their right.

I believe the law and the science, in this case, is very sound, and quite well tested in the courts.

A nurse probably was there the first 30 minutes and they are just lying as usual.

They have an agenda
See, I completely disagree. I think Children's is the one with the agenda- to cover their butts and they are the ones not telling the whole truth. I think this family is genuine and I support them!

Yes, and that whole interview is just.... I have no words even. He seriously wants us to believe that CHO can talk about what happened to Jahi, but the family wants to know first... sure. Just too many lies in that interview. imo

I think the highlight was when he appeared annoyed that CHO revealed details about Jahi's medical condition in the court filings. Yeah, I guess they should have lied to the court and gone along with the story that it was just a routine tonsillectomy.

The wording, "come hell or high water", doesn't sound like everything's been arranged for the transfer and it's just a matter of doing it imo. I'd use that if I'm expecting great difficulties with what I'm trying to do, not when I've got all set.

If they truly want their side out they can get it out with violating HIPAA laws ... all they have to do is detail it in the court documents which become public.

Jahi's family has truly tarnished the hospital's reputation. Was it warranted because it was true? I have no idea; but, I do know the hospital lawyers/spokespersons really offended me and also tarnished their own reputations with their blatant lack of empathy.

Yes, this little girl probably is dead; however, it isn't necessary to refuse to address the little girl by her name. They have addressed her publicly as "the body", "the deceased", "the corpse", etc; and, they certainly have never missed an opportunity to address this little girl by those terms. If they have said these things publicly and to the media I can only imagine what they are saying to the family in private meetings. It's totally uncalled for.

I also think it was totally uncalled for to turn her over to the coroner and issue a death certificate while her heart is still beating. That should have only been done once her heart has stopped. That's just my opinion anyway.

Had the hospital taken a different approach maybe this wouldn't have gotten so unnecessarily ugly. People do things out of grief that they would never ordinarily do. We should take that into consideration. We are still talking about a 13 year old little girl here that did absolutely nothing wrong.
Nope, I think Children's did a fine job of tarnishing their reputation all on their own! I'm so glad DHS is investigating this case! I hope JCAHO which does all of the hospital accreditations in California will look into them too for Jahi's condition! The rest of your post I completely agree with!

See, I completely disagree. I think Children's is the one with the agenda- to cover their butts and they are the ones not telling the whole truth. I think this family is genuine and I support them!

How exactly would a nurse NOT be present to receive an admission in the open bay PICU? The recovery room didn't exactly sneak the patient in, push her into the bay, and run out the door. There is a substantial process in place in every hospital for taking admissions from one department to another.

We are not talking about someone being returned to their med surg room by patient transport after, for example, a physical therapy session. This is a planned ICU admit from PACU to PICU. There was a bed reserved for Jahi before she even went into surgery, and a nurse designated to receive her as an admission identified at the beginning of the shift.

I agree completely. If the hospital is using computer charting it will be near impossible to "fix" things. I believe CHO wanted her off the vent and out the door ASAP. BTW did you know that a hospital can charge family whatever per page for copies of medical record. Years ago, at one hospital where I worked, charge was $10.00 per page and partial record not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro