Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression her body would only at most last months at most and the family has found a way to fund the care (outside of the 2 weeks it took them to get her moved)
Most people when put in the position do not feel this way an I have never considered this could go on for years.

There are some cases where bodies of brain dead patients lasted for years.
It does sounds like Jahi's body is in poor shape and deteriorated badly. So I don't think she will last years, but who knows.

And I now feel like a wimp. It's 11 degrees here in SC. I can't imagine minus 29! However, thanks for the banana tip. My little ones will enjoy that experiment. :seeya:

It is 22* here in very S GA...I am a wimp!

Ok.. why is this guy in particular being interviewed for this...call me nosy and paranoid- but

But even the best medical tools cannot replace the brain's role in regulating the critical balance of essential hormones, immunity and other chemicals, said Dr. Neal E. Slatkin, a neurologist and chief medical officer at San Jose's Hospice Of The Valley.

"The brain controls pretty much everything in the body," Slatkin said. "Without it, everything begins to break down."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...rain-dead-teens-body-may-be?source=JBarTicker

So, she's moving around and showing signs of recovery and yet also wasting away and may not make it because of what CHO has done? :banghead::banghead:

That about sums it up.
Lawyer claims she is poor shape. They can't even insert a feeding tube because of physical issues. But if you listen to the family members, she is moving and responding.

So, she's moving around and showing signs of recovery and yet also wasting away and may not make it because of what CHO has done? :banghead::banghead:

Exactly.

I firmly believe that this family will be their own undoing.

Surely their public statements will be used against them if/when they sue CHO.

It is scientifically impossible she is doing what this lawyer is claiming to do. There are reflexes a brain dead human can have but it is because the reflexes are actually connected to the spinal cord, and not the brain itself. But responding to audio? That is not possible.

The lawyer pretty much admitted she is in poor shape. It's the family members who claim she is responding and moving.

I have changed my mind...maybe somewhere Dr Byrne has privileges..

When I heard Jahi had moved, the first thing that popped into my head was one of the clinics you would see here in Los Angeles. I have a few around where I live; open 24 hours, cash payment with credit line available, etc.

The Scientology slant on this from earlier isn't too out there now since a building is right up the street from the CNN studio. This is ALL SPECULATION--what if's and maybe?, and such. Hadn't really thought of that till Omari being at the CNN building tonight, and it is indeed where he is at. (I viewed the street view on google maps, and while that photo is dated, that is the place! I watch movies next door.)

If anything, if Jahi is in movement to a facility, or is at a facility, Nevada seems like a perfect spot. Nevada seems like the perfect border state for the care Jahi is seeking.

I'll have to wander around the web and see what I can find about Nevada facilities being able to accept a "patient" that has been declared dead. I'm not a good Googler unless I'm using Dr. Google, then I always have a life threatening illness. :scared:

Nevada Revised Statues seems to have the same standards for the declaration of brain death as California.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-451.html#NRS451Sec065

DETERMINATION OF DEATH (UNIFORM ACT)

NRS 451.007  Determination of death.
1.  For legal and medical purposes, a person is dead if the person has sustained an irreversible cessation of:
(a) Circulatory and respiratory functions; or
(b) All functions of the person’s entire brain, including his or her brain stem.
2.  A determination of death made under this section must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards.
3.  This section may be cited as the Uniform Determination of Death Act and must be applied and construed to carry out its general purpose which is to make uniform among the states which enact it the law regarding the determination of death.
(Added to NRS by 1979, 226; A 1985, 130)

I have to doubt she's in LA. I feel like the cover would have blown pretty quickly there! How long would it stay a secret? Especially with so much media based there. I doubt it's California since she was already declared dead here. Not that it wouldn't be valid elsewhere, but it just seems they would try to move somewhere else. Except I'm not entirely convinced she is even in a facility at all, personally.

Cardinal Glennon is the only Catholic Children's hospital in the country.

Exactly.

I firmly believe that this family will be their own undoing.

Surely their public statements will be used against them if/when they sue CHO.

Perhaps that is what the hospital's legal counsel was thinking and why they agreed to let her be discharged.

Perhaps that is what the hospital's legal counsel was thinking and why they agreed to let her be discharged.

CHO totally handed them the rope to hang themselves with, and his name is Omari Sealey. He seems to be doing quite well at opening his mouth and just letting everything come flying out without a filter. :facepalm:

Just watched the Dr. Drew segment and am appalled by the misinformation the talking heads are spewing. They are unaware of the lies being told by the family and are blaming the doctors for being insensitive. How do we let the Dr. Drew producers know there is another aspect to the story?

Agendas aside.

Also respectfully. Why would it matter what a whole lot of people felt ? Does that supercede her parents wishes?

When a family and their attorney contact media for exposure to get help for a child they believe is still alive, they should be prepared for the input/opinions of those who disagree.

You can't have it both ways. Tell your story but expect no one to have an opinion that disagrees with you? Freedom of speech and all. Is it none of our business, no in the big picture it's not, but we didn't exactly invite ourselves into it, either.

The opinion of the public has no bearing on what would ultimately happen with Jahi. Even the opinion of respected physicians had no bearing. Doesn't mean people are wrong for their own beliefs and feelings on the matter.

JMO and all that.

Ok...that's a start. So it's ok to go on for days or weeks, but not months or years? Again, not snark. Just trying to get to the core of the argument. This sounds like it's about how long we're willing to indulge a family to do what they will so long as it's not likely to take "too" long?

eta: and the "funding" is, imo, a separate issue that needs to be addressed in the context of whether the actions are moral in the first instance. jmo

I don't think there is a core to my argument ,honestly. I just wondered why so many people were so passionate that this girl be taken off life support. I didn't however think of the thousand other cases like this one. I was just considering Jahi and her case, and reflecting over my friends sisters case (they ended life support after 3 weeks ,tried twice to do it before they could commit )

I would never want to be in her moms position ,but I can empathize with her not wanting to let her childs heart stop beating . No amount of science takes the human aspect out of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meowmeowface143