Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"But despite the operation being successful, brain scans failed to detect any electrical pulses and he was declared brain dead."

From the article above

And

"Dr Piper, who runs a private practice in Leicester, said: "They had doctors saying he wasn't going to live but the parents felt there was flickers of response and it wasn't just wishful thinking."

What if, for the sake of argument ....Jahi's mother is correct?
What would the ramifications be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Six drs said she is BRAIN DEAD.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's a similar situation from 2008.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27611868/

I can't find out what happened in the end.

ETA Sorry, his heart stopped 11 days after he was declared brain dead, so it was never really resolved legally.

When I went in for surgery a few months back I couldn't have nail polish, makeup, jewelry, deoderant, nothing at all.

--------
Each time I have colonoscopy (had 6) I've had paper which says no nail polish. My Dr.puts me under.

Respectfully snipped
B B M

I wholeheartedly agree with you.
I'm afraid the mother's denial is at an unhealthy mental place.

Anyone know if there is a St.Judes Children's Hospital in that area?

Do we think St. Jude's would continue medical care for a declared brain dead body?

--------
Each time I have colonoscopy (had 6) I've had paper which says no nail polish. My Dr.puts me under.

Sissy. Just kidding, I have had 2 and I am awake enough to watch on the monitor while Dr. listens to opera. The recovery time is nil. I stop and eat on the way home.

--------

I had an ovary removed 4 yrs ago. No nail polish, lotion, deodorant, or makeup allowed. Also, they didn't mark my abdomen with marker like they used to. They said it was an infection risk, so I had to wear an extra hospital bracelet on my left wrist, to remind and verify that it was the left ovary they were to remove.

If I'm understanding what the medical posters are saying, and Dr. Flori's report, etc. circulation to her brain has stopped completely and circulation to the rest of her body is likely compromised on an ongoing basis in spite of the interventions. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. jmo

Flori said Jahi's blood pressure had at times dropped to about half of what it used to be so that would likely mean decreased circulation in the small peripheral vessels. The new facility probably try to control BP though.

This is nothing really new, but I just keep thinking how terrible it's going to be for this family when her heart does stop. I guess it's possible they'll have peace that they did everything they could, but IMO the more likely scenario is that all the grief they haven't been letting themselves feel while fighting this and holding out false hope is going to come crashing down. Bad enough to lose your child, worse to keep hoping and hoping and taking extreme steps and then to have nothing at the end of it. They've replaced the grieving process with fighting to "save" her. I know that their lives will never be the same after this, but in all my experiences with loss, it's only the getting on with life that eventually allows things to get better. They haven't done that, and instead have put their whole focus on her and an impossible hope of her recovery. IMO, that's going to make the inevitable even harder to bear, and it's already such an unbelievable loss.

That's JMO, and I certainly hope it's not true and that they will just have peace when it happens. But I think it's part of why it makes me so angry that there are people continuing to fill them with hope about this instead of assisting in the grieving process.

MOO.

I think that they will be strongly encouraged to immerse themselves in litigation immediately following Jahi's eventual funeral. Based on the way they have chosen to handle this situation, I think there will continue to be efforts to avoid facing their loss, substituting litigation tasks, for their current focus of fighting to keep Jahi's body attached to the ventilator and tube feeding.

Every family who has a loss has to face their own "new normal". I doubt that this family will return to the activities of their life that they had before, but instead will embrace the day to day activities related to extended litigation, and activism for various causes related to brain death as their "new normal". I think this case will go on for years and years, while the family fights numerous lawsuits. I don't know how anyone can find peace in the process of fighting and conflict and avoidance. JMO. But maybe some do, even if it's hard for me to understand.

Respectfully snipped
B B M

I wholeheartedly agree with you.
I'm afraid the mother's denial is at an unhealthy mental place.

Anyone know if there is a St.Judes Children's Hospital in that area?

St, Jude's Children's Hospital (Memphis, TN) Affiliates:

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The St. Jude Baton Rouge Affiliate Clinic is located in the Medical Plaza attached to Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Huntsville, Alabama
The St. Jude Clinic at Huntsville Hospital for Women and Children is north Alabama’s first pediatric cancer care and hematology clinic.

Johnson City, Tennessee
The St. Jude Tri-Cities Affiliate Clinic is located in Johnson City, Tennessee, in the Johnson City Medical Center.

Peoria, Illinois
The St. Jude Jim and Trudy Maloof St. Jude Midwest Affiliate Clinic, established in 1972, is located in Children's Hospital of Illinois at OSF-Saint Francis Medical Center, in Peoria, Illinois.

Shreveport, Louisiana
The St. Jude Shreveport Affiliate Clinic is located in LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport, Louisiana.

Springfield, Missouri
St. Jude Affiliate Clinic at Mercy Children’s Hospital-Springfield, is located in Springfield, Missouri.

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f87d4c2a71fca210VgnVCM1000001e0215acRCRD

Flori said Jahi's blood pressure had at times dropped to about half of what it used to be so that would likely mean decreased circulation in the small peripheral vessels. The new facility probably try to control BP though.

Yeah, the "beans" take a big hit with fluctuations in cardiac output and blood pressure like that. (Kidneys.) So do the arteries that directly feed the heart muscle itself.

Inevitable decline in every part of the body.

Omari ‏@_iamOMARI 28m
I will be forever grateful for this man. He took my call in the middle of the night and listened to everything I had to say and decided to help me for FREE!!! There are not many lawyers in the world that would take a case where there is no money involved, but this man has a huge heart and I will always love him for what he has done for my family. I hear people questioning his ethics and it is ridiculous. This man did what no other lawyer would and I can't thank him enough. Christopher B. Dolan you are my brother & my friend. Welcome to the family, but you were already family when agreed to help me that night @cbdlaw… http://instagram.com/p/i9d1kUopsg/

long time no hear jmo

Yeah, the "beans" take a big hit with fluctuations in cardiac output and blood pressure like that. (Kidneys.) So do the arteries that directly feed the heart muscle itself.

Inevitable decline in every part of the body.

Does anyone know if she's been passing any urine? TIA

The report from Flori observes that the nurses, amongst other things, had been giving Jahi manicures, so I'm thinking it's been done post-op

The mother reported early on that she had done Jahi's nails a pink color with glitter.

From 12/21/13 http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24775261/jahi-her-mom-and-13-days-at-childrens
"On Saturday, Winkfield painted Jahi's fingernails and toenails pink with silver sparkles.
"She always liked to match," her mom said with a smile. The family have placed prayer beads around Jahi's wrist, diamond earrings in her ears and they pump a steady dose of Chris Brown and Beyoncé into her earbuds from her iPod.
"Her blood pressure goes up with the fast songs," her mother said. Winkfield said her daughter twitches when she runs her finger along her feet and other areas."

Do we think St. Jude's would continue medical care for a declared brain dead body?

Looking at the St. Jude's Fullerton, CA hospital website, I see that they are JCHO Accredited. I seriously doubt they would risk this accreditation by taking in her case and violating state laws.

It's a big center, with 372 beds and more than 600 physicians on staff. This isn't the place to try to keep Jahi under wraps and away from the public, I don't think. It's too much like CHO for Dolan, I'm sure. They have standards. He doesn't. MOO

Omari ‏@_iamOMARI 28m
I will be forever grateful for this man. He took my call in the middle of the night and listened to everything I had to say and decided to help me for FREE!!! There are not many lawyers in the world that would take a case where there is no money involved, but this man has a huge heart and I will always love him for what he has done for my family. I hear people questioning his ethics and it is ridiculous. This man did what no other lawyer would and I can't thank him enough. Christopher B. Dolan you are my brother & my friend. Welcome to the family, but you were already family when agreed to help me that night @cbdlaw… http://instagram.com/p/i9d1kUopsg/

long time no hear jmo

so much for privacy and wanting to keep attention on Jahi..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE