Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhh....yeah that would make more sense. The whole recovery from anesthesia part is tricky which is why they have "recovery rooms".

So we have all read she was scheduled to go directly into the ICU, where did that come from exactly?

Someone here I reckon because Ive not read that in any report in the MSM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST, specially the bolded part.

To add a bit more, facilities in major cities are equally advanced as American ones. Plus ---wait, wait, wait--- access to them is free. kthxbai

Yes. Mexico has a number of advanced medical facilities and also advanced immigration laws. I hope the U.S. will follow suit.

Jahi McMath: Medical experts say organ failure inevitable

OAKLAND -- One month after Jahi McMath entered Children's Hospital Oakland for surgery to treat sleep apnea -- and just days after she was taken out of the facility after a fierce legal battle -- her family says the teenager's health is improving as she receives nutrition, but medical experts say it is only a matter of time before her deteriorating organs give out.

"This is basically organ support; it's not life support," said Dr. Neal E. Slatkin, a neurologist and chief medical officer at San Jose's Hospice Of The Valley. "Her organs are alive, but she's not alive. Her organs are slowly dying. Her fate is written; it's just a question of when everything fails."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...-medical-experts-say-organ-failure-inevitable

I've wondered if, due to the fact that four procedures were performed in the pharyngeal area, if a Yankauer suction catheter was attached to the wall suction outlet tubing for a while and the family went to town with this, which can suck out, well, almost anything you can think of. The alternate term for it actually is " tonsil suction device".

Uhhh....yeah that would make more sense. The whole recovery from anesthesia part is tricky which is why they have "recovery rooms".

So we have all read she was scheduled to go directly into the ICU, where did that come from exactly?

I know it was reported by family that the ICU was previously scheduled for a one night stay.

Is that what you're referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the link I posted above:

"Dead is dead. There aren't grades of dead," Slatkin said. "Anything that (the attorney) or the family may perceive as improvement does not indicate that she is alive in any way."

Similar to what the dentist uses. but, I dont know exactly what kind. It was very powerful or it seemed so to me. I can tell you I went no further into her mouth than just past the lips and it grabbed hold and scared me to death. I could not do it and I would think anyone would need to be trained to do it properly. jmo

I don't understand where the suctioning device would have been. I've never been in ICU or PICU for more than a few minutes...is this a common apparatus that's lying around?

I've wondered if, due to the fact that four procedures were performed in the pharyngeal area, if a Yankauer suction catheter was attached to the wall suction outlet tubing for a while and the family went to town with this, which can suck out, well, almost anything you can think of. The alternate term for it actually is " tonsil suction device".

I saw that name in a post. Yankauer suction.

Yes. Mexico has a number of advanced medical facilities and also advanced immigration laws. I hope the U.S. will follow suit.

and that was my point. I meant the opposite of what my original post may have sounded like, I'm sorry.

Mexico is advanced indeed - sometimes moreso than the US in this "industry". (that is not the right word - sorry. Profession? Area?)

Plus, very Catholic.

I don't understand where the suctioning device would have been. I've never been in ICU or PICU for more than a few minutes...is this a common apparatus that's lying around?

I don't know where it came from. I just thought the inhalation therapist brought it in. We were in a regular room, not ICU.

Well, It seems everyone could use some good news... My pup Ryder came to her forever home with us 1 yr ago today! Love her to pieces~! We celebrate her b-day today! Sorry for the OT, but wanted to give y'all a reason to smile during this mess....

:skip:

Why was any non-staff in there? Okay so she wakes from surgery and is supposed to go to the ICU, and then there is a popsicle and lots of family and talking (reportedly) and bleeding and family suctioning up the blood?

Perhaps some medical professionals can chime in here. If she was supposed to be sent to the ICU how did the family and suctioning and such occur? One would think she would be watched as she awoke from the surgery and then transferred directly to the ICU.

IMO visitation in every PICU I have worked in in highly limited to one or two persons at a time for 15 minutes every four hours. I don't think I could/would tolerate much more as an RN who should be continuously observing, assessing and reassessing frequently especially if they are fresh post op. Visitors/family can be very distracting and add increased stress to an already stressful situation and this can lead to errors. Nurses are not robots, we use critical thinking almost continuously, and we do not appreciate distractions that can and often do result in errors. It is horrendously stressful when trying to assess a patient and have visitors chattering or interrupting with questions. A rapid head to toe assessment must be completed sometimes as much as every 15 minutes for one hour or more in a post op situation.

I had an ovary removed 4 yrs ago. No nail polish, lotion, deodorant, or makeup allowed. Also, they didn't mark my abdomen with marker like they used to. They said it was an infection risk, so I had to wear an extra hospital bracelet on my left wrist, to remind and verify that it was the left ovary they were to remove.

Interesting, I had a surgery 7 weeks ago, and I was marked with a marker before the surgery.

Well, It seems everyone could use some good news... My pup Ryder came to her forever home with us 1 yr ago today! Love her to pieces~! We celebrate her b-day today! Sorry for the OT, but wanted to give y'all a reason to smile during this mess....

:skip:

Happy Birthday Ryder!

Peeps, stop with the brain soup comments... Jahi has no choice in all this. thanks...

I don't know where it came from. I just thought the inhalation therapist brought it in. We were in a regular room, not ICU.

Suction equipment should be ready in any room that might have a patient and also in rooms that a patient may be coming to.

Jahi's bowels have not functioned in a few weeks. That is likely just the tip of the iceberg.

If for the sake of argument her "brain" suddenly wakes up then folks had also better pray for a miracle regarding the rest of her body because it doesn't seem to be doing too good.

Realistically if she "woke up" the ramifications would be malpractice lawsuits galore and a girl that died shortly after due to the other physical ailments.

If this is about faith, I have heard heaven is supposed to be pretty great so if there is even a small chance her consciousness is still in that body and suffering why is that better than heaven and eternal bliss in the afterlife?

RBBM -- This has been weighing on my mind greatly! I don't know which denomination of Christianity Jahi's family practice, but my understanding of the Christian faith is that they all believe Jesus is our savior. They also believe God awaits us in heaven and we meet our lost family members there as well. I could go on and on but most of us are familiar with Christianity. If Christians are destined for a better after life, how is the argument that here is better than there for her. I just really really don't understand or get it.

I would be willing to bet a lot that the Yankhauer in the cause of this horrific tragedy!

YES! Every ICU room I've ever set up had a a Yankauer at the ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Somberlicous