Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was any non-staff in there? Okay so she wakes from surgery and is supposed to go to the ICU, and then there is a popsicle and lots of family and talking (reportedly) and bleeding and family suctioning up the blood?

Perhaps some medical professionals can chime in here. If she was supposed to be sent to the ICU how did the family and suctioning and such occur? One would think she would be watched as she awoke from the surgery and then transferred directly to the ICU.

My question exactly. Maybe mom, but no more. But, also as we have seen these people are incredibly pushy and demanding. Maybe they couldn't keep them out. jmo

In California they are called " licensed vocational nurses' ---they are licensed to do routine procedures and assist the RNS

I'm not certain but I think they be equivalent to LPN's in New Jersey.
If so it's not very high up in the nursing hyarchy.., iirc it's one step up from a CNA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard of a LVN ... Is that exactly the same as a LPN?

Essentially, yes. I was an lpn before I got my rn, but certain states have an lvn certification instead. There's not many states, but there are a few that use that license term.

RSBM: You know what?? I had not considered this but it makes PERFECT sense, assuming Mexico would allow Jahi into the country. For one thing, it could explain how they found a doctor who would perform surgical procedures on a brain dead person. Also could be a way to avoid that pesky autopsy that the Altadena coroner's office wants to perform.

Or have I been watching too many movies on the SyFy channel lately?

Yeah, not happening. No way in hello --- only way a dead body makes it into my country is for burial. Enough unscrupulous people/medical types right here at home, no need to go down this road.

The sitting up & talking & Popsicle part was said to occur in the recovery room..she was said to have been moved to the ICU and there was a 30 minute delay before family could go back into ICU see her...when they did go back she was bleeding...so much so they kept bringing it to the nurses attention and receiving larger containers to collect the blood.
Family claimed this happened at a shift change and the nurses weren't concerned or claimed it wasn't abnormal...they claim to have been there when they were trying to resuscitate her

This is all the family's version. Hospital has released nothing.

Essentially, yes. I was an lpn before I got my rn, but certain states have an lvn certification instead. There's not many states, but there are a few that use that license term.

I'm not certain but I think they be equivalent to LPN's in New Jersey.
If so it's not very high up in the nursing hyarchy.., iirc it's one step up from a CNA

I worked as an lpn in NJ. I was essentially a med nurse. All I did was pass meds, and if I noticed a problem, I had to report it to the RN.

The sitting up & talking & Popsicle part was said to occur in the recovery room..

So what is the recovery room? The room where patients wake up from anesthesia? Where a bunch of patients are kept and watched over until they wake up and can be transferred to their individual rooms?

Correct me if I am wrong but that is a place where patients coming out of anesthesia are monitored until they are awake and NOT a place for family members of the patients to gather and chat and have popsicle discussions etc...

While passports are not needed to cross the border from the US to Mexico, they are necessary upon return to the US. What troubles me more is that people are willing to believe that mexican physicians would be more willing to perform these procedures than their US counterparts.

Medical facilities in Mexico are not nearly as advanced technologically as they are in the US, but the physicians I know there, and their professors at the UABC medical school, are as ethical as their US counterparts. No more, no less.

So what is the recovery room? The room where patients wake up from anesthesia? Where a bunch of patients are kept and watched over until they wake up and can be transferred to their individual rooms?

Correct me if I am wrong but that is a place where patients coming out of anesthesia are monitored until they are awake and NOT a place for family members of the patients to gather and chat and have popsicle discussions etc...
I believe back in another post, someone mentioned that when going to ICU after surgery, patients sometimes bypass what we think of as the typical recovery room. They go directly to ICU. Or something like that.

This is all the family's version. Hospital has released nothing.

Yep.... That's why I kept saying "they claim"

It's the only version we have

What sort of suctioning device are we talking about? I wasn't thinking anything that powerful...if so, and the GM is an LVN, wth?

Similar to what the dentist uses. but, I dont know exactly what kind. It was very powerful or it seemed so to me. I can tell you I went no further into her mouth than just past the lips and it grabbed hold and scared me to death. I could not do it and I would think anyone would need to be trained to do it properly. jmo

I believe back in another post, someone mentioned that when going to ICU after surgery, patients sometimes bypass what we think of as the typical recovery room. They go directly to ICU. Or something like that.

Uhhh....yeah that would make more sense. The whole recovery from anesthesia part is tricky which is why they have "recovery rooms".

So we have all read she was scheduled to go directly into the ICU, where did that come from exactly?

You are correct... In fact last month when Mr. ST had carotid artery surgery, we were not allowed to see him in the recovery room. We had to wait until he got to his room. It was several hours.

Don't shoot the messenger;) I'm just repeating what they said.

I will say...my experience in Children's Hospital of Philadelphia my son was sedated on my lap then carried into the OR...and he was placed back on my lap and monitored, right there, on my lap, by the nurse for the entire recovery.

I loved CHOP, the doctors, the nurses...wonderful experience

While passports are not needed to cross the border from the US to Mexico, they are necessary upon return to the US. What troubles me more is that people are willing to believe that mexican physicians would be more willing to perform these procedures than their US counterparts.

Medical facilities in Mexico are not nearly as advanced technologically as they are in the US, but the physicians I know there, and their professors at the UABC medical school, are as ethical as their US counterparts. No more, no less.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST, specially the bolded part.

To add a bit more, facilities in major cities are equally advanced as American ones. Plus ---wait, wait, wait--- access to them is free. kthxbai

I doubt she's anywhere near that clinic in NY. They are nowhere near equipped to take care of a brain dead patient or perform surgery on her.

being on LI very near this facility, i have listened carefully to news around the area. i can tell you that the first few days news 12 (our local news) had people stationed outside the medford building, they saw plenty of activity but none was jahi. the riverhead building wasnt even watched as it is not completed, as i reported early on by driving out to it.

i dont have a link but i will look if some one needs it. news 12 is subscriber based.
:twocents:

Similar to what the dentist uses. but, I dont know exactly what kind. It was very powerful or it seemed so to me. I can tell you I went no further into her mouth than just past the lips and it grabbed hold and scared me to death. I could not do it and I would think anyone would need to be trained to do it properly. jmo

I wouldn't do it of they asked me! "Dude...I'm not qualified ...that's why this stay is costing big bucks...you do it"

Uhhh....yeah that would make more sense. The whole recovery from anesthesia part is tricky which is why they have "recovery rooms".

So we have all read she was scheduled to go directly into the ICU, where did that come from exactly?
No, I have no idea.
I do remember my mom coming back from open heart surgery to ICU, and she was not awake...had a million tubes in. We were allowed in once they got her "situated". Also last year, she was admitted to ICU for a blood infection (sepsis).The nurses let us stay in the room for hours. So, it's not unheard of for family members to be in ICU outside of normal visiting hours.

Since he wasn't even there, I don't really believe what he says. :twocents: But yes, I would think it would cause bleeding.

Closing ones lips around the suction apparatus can cause the cheeks to be sucked in so that the inner cheeks touch each other and that the soft palate flutters violently if the suction level is dialed up too high. This would certainly dislodge any clots that were formed. I would be curious as to whether the surgeon wrote specific suction orders as this would have been very very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truth Exposed