Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a way to set kids up: "I didn't pray hard enough and Jahi died"

I would have though a kinder discussion of the man's transitory life on this earth and life everafter in heaven would have been a better lesson.

OMG I don't know that I wouldn't pull my kids out of that school. Dealing with the death of a classmate at that age would be hard enough. This imo is way too much.

Maybe the donations have slowed down. Need some sad little kids in Jahi T-shirts to keep the cash flowing.

This serves Dolan's purpose. Keep the controversy in the news. Build public sympathy for changing the malpractice cap.

And when the inevitable happens- CHO didn't feed her!

It's utterly reprehensible.

I wonder if that is an acceptable excuse when one of the children fails their science test miserably. "Oh, I understand the debate, I just chose spirituality over science."

I know, right? What debate? Whether she's going to rise from the dead? Whether a brain that hasn't had oxygen since at least December 12 is going to spontaneously regenerate because some [expletive deleted] of an enabling doctor gave her a feeding tube and is giving her 'nutrients' as a placebo for her mother's inability to accept reality?

A dead brain can't grow back! There is no such thing as a brain transplant! The thing that housed Jahi's personality, that gave her the ability to laugh, talk, sing, tell jokes, take care of her little brother, breathe, regulate her own body temperature and her digestive system, it is gone, it can't be regrown! It can't be 'sparked awake' because it is like (to reuse my example) a finger that has had a rubber band around it for the past month. Nothing is going to make that a living finger again, and nothing is going to make that a living brain again.

What happens if one of those kids gets sick and needs care at Children's Hospital Oakland? If they think that Jahi is alive they probably also think that CHO was trying to starve and kill her.

The school thing.

Not all schools are equal, nor families, even today.

I was taught, in 1st grade that the sun would stop shining and smog would be all. We would have to wear gas masks, and live under our school desks. Yep, I await the sun stopping, but the gas mask thing finally, nearly 50 years later, seems plausible. We also were taught we could eat earthworms, and were shown something about making worm pies. Not joking at all. That was small town no where in the mountains. At least I know I can eat worms if it comes to that, but wouldn't the worms die?

I am not making light. I am exposing those that exploit the simple minded. AND, those that are simple minded are in control of your children's thoughts and future life.

The children in that school should only be told that Jahi is in the hospital. Really, at their age they will forget her (sadly) or ask later and then move on. They need not know anything other than that, unless she dies.

What happens if one of those kids gets sick and needs care at Children's Hospital Oakland? If they think that Jahi is alive they probably also think that CHO was trying to starve and kill her.

OMG, you are right. A child's mind will see it that way!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wonder if that is an acceptable excuse when one of the children fails their science test miserably. "Oh, I understand the debate, I just chose spirituality over science."

This is the aspect that scares me the most--the idea that one can just opt out of being subject to scientific realities by wishing really hard.

I can picture all the conspiracy theories this must be spawning and it gives me chills. You know there must be a fair number of people (especially kids now!) who honestly believe that the mean old government is trying to unplug the life support of a little girl just to be mean, and that now that she's been rescued she'll wake up soon.

This is an awful, awful thing to mislead and confuse people about. I'm the kind of person who, as a kid, would have heard this story and spent a lot of time imagining it was me "plugged in" and hoping the bad guys would let me wake up. These kids are going to be so afraid of hospitals now.

Argh.

And grief counselors.

These poor kids. So awful. I thought it was bad enough when I thought about the siblings being pulled into this circus. But now her classmates, and siblings classmates.

I hope that whatever district oversees this charter school lets them know that they can't bring religion into school, or they will loose their charter.

So, it's a charter school? Public. Ok- my kids go to private Christian school and while I'm positive they would show support for the family, they wouldn't dare do this. Our school is all about God. God 24/7 lol, but they wouldn't put the kids through this. God is not Santa. And children's hearts shouldn't be toyed with.

:
I know, right? What debate? Whether she's going to rise from the dead? Whether a brain that hasn't had oxygen since at least December 12 is going to spontaneously regenerate because some [expletive deleted] of an enabling doctor gave her a feeding tube and is giving her 'nutrients' as a placebo for her mother's inability to accept reality?

A dead brain can't grow back! There is no such thing as a brain transplant! The thing that housed Jahi's personality, that gave her the ability to laugh, talk, sing, tell jokes, take care of her little brother, breathe, regulate her own body temperature and her digestive system, it is gone, it can't be regrown! It can't be 'sparked awake' because it is like (to reuse my example) a finger that has had a rubber band around it for the past month. Nothing is going to make that a living finger again, and nothing is going to make that a living brain again.
:seeya: amen

OMG I don't know that I wouldn't pull my kids out of that school. Dealing with the death of a classmate at that age would be hard enough. This imo is way too much.

I agree. This situation is getting weirder by the day. I don't think the school teacher should be involved in giving "updates" on Jahi when there is so much controversy over whether she is living or is dead. The kids may be confused and asking questions, but telling them Jahi is alive is just plain wrong. :( and that's my opinion ;)

From school's website. http://ecreemsacademy.org/about.cfm :
E.C. Reems Academy is a public K – 8, extended elementary charter school, located in East Oakland, California. .... We are a hybrid school, which is part of the public school system, and we operate as a private school. BBM UBM SBM

from linked nbcbayarea.com news article:
“Most kids are Christian here,” Blair said, “and they believe that if you continue praying, there’s always a possibility. The students understand the debate. They’re just choosing spirituality over science.” BBM

In the 1950's -1960's many public school students could opt out of participating in religious rituals at those schools, but the US SCOTUS ruled the 'option' violated Separation of Church & State clause of the US Const.

Can someone (in education or law?) explain this 'hybrid school' status?
And if separation clause applies to this school's cirriculum and activities?

Thx in adv.

ETA: Others beat me to the question about school status & religion, but I don't yet have a answer.

swilla2, the principal went to the hospital to see Jahi and 'saw something' that convinced her that Jahi might not be dead which is why she told the students that.

So there was yet another adult in somewhat of a position of authority (a teacher, for crying out loud!) who could have maybe helped NW come to terms with her daughter's death and instead not only fell right into the sucking vortex of denial but went right out and sucked the hundreds of children in her school into it as well.

I just can't even wrap my mind around this stuff.

swilla2, the principal went to the hospital to see Jahi and 'saw something' that convinced her that Jahi might not be dead which is why she told the students that.

So there was yet another adult in somewhat of a position of authority (a teacher, for crying out loud!) who could have maybe helped NW come to terms with her daughter's death and instead not only fell right into the sucking vortex of denial but went right out and sucked the hundreds of children in her school into it as well.

It takes a lot to crack my toughened heart, but this is coming close to making me cry.

As a civilization we need people who can think critically. We need it badly.

Edit: I've seen people on other forums whose basic reaction is "leave the family alone, it's their decision", meaning all they're hearing is the sensationalized summary, they don't realize the family is keeping the story in the news intentionally, and they don't realize the ramifications or how it is affecting others.

It takes a lot to crack my toughened heart, but this is coming close to making me cry.

I'm very sad! This whole thing makes me sad ...for Jahi's memory, for society, for everyone! Just sad!

Ok I can see them saying Jahi is very ill let's say a prayer for her. But ok students I saw something that tells me she isn't dead. NO NO NO. Even if she believed that it's not ok to give these children false hope.

I'm sure the parents of those children have had some explaining to do. :facepalm:

The ongoing debate prompted Blair to help her pupils discuss opposing perspectives.

The point was "to teach students to make informed decisions, to debate the scientific and social perspectives," Blair explained.

I don't like how this sounds. The children who knew Jahi probably need grief counseling more than they need an educational debate about the social perspectives.

Besides, I don't know how the teachers can even begin to make informed decisions for themselves if they believe that death is optional and that it is likely that children who were without brain perfusion for weeks can return to school.

Edit: I've seen people on other forums whose basic reaction is "leave the family alone, it's their decision", meaning all they're hearing is the sensationalized summary, they don't realize the family is keeping the story in the news intentionally, and they don't realize the ramifications or how it is affecting others.

BBM: I come from a family of teachers, many generations of them. (I'm not one myself because I'm a weirdo artist.) We were always encouraged to prize critical thinking and having your own opinions about things as long as we could back them up. If you were going to fight with your siblings or cousins about anything from dinosaurs to baseball statistics to history you'd better be able to produce some facts unless you wanted to be laughed out of the back yard. The other most common family profession? Ministers, yes really.

I happen to think religion and science can co-exist, and both are better for being leavened with both heart and critical thinking. I mean, I can believe all day long that I am going to be able to beat the train through the intersection, but you can't argue with the law of physics.

I figure if some Orthodox Jews believed in this enough to get their state to make special legal exemption for brain death and death, then I'm leaving it up to parents' religious beliefs to tell their children how they should pray. I'm glad we have that freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya