Farrah Fawcett in critical conditionUPDATE Has Passed away RIP

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PeteGirl, I'm a cancer survivor. I had leukemia at eleven years old and had five years of chemo. I know how painful it is, I know the damage it does (long term and short term) and I've never regretted taking it.

My oncologist was the dearest man and it pained him when he had to give me some of the more painful treatments. I had an intern (male) break down in tears because he was causing me so much pain trying to find a usable vein. I know there are those that treat patients with the hope that they are making them better. There are those that have their heart in it. Unfortunately, I still believe that the pharmaceutical companies and the health insurance companies have far more control than they should over what drugs are administered, etc.

PeteGirl, I'm a cancer survivor. I had leukemia at eleven years old and had five years of chemo. I know how painful it is, I know the damage it does (long term and short term) and I've never regretted taking it.

My oncologist was the dearest man and it pained him when he had to give me some of the more painful treatments. I had an intern (male) break down in tears because he was causing me so much pain trying to find a usable vein. I know there are those that treat patients with the hope that they are making them better. There are those that have their heart in it. Unfortunately, I still believe that the pharmaceutical companies and the health insurance companies have far more control than they should over what drugs are administered, etc.

After having a tumor removed from his brain and pituitary gland, my nephew was left with life-changing issue from hormonal imbalances to motor skill issues... add in how the chemo tore his system apart: he was left with so many, many problems, one being he was rendered a severe diabetic. His drs have insisted that he needs to have an insulin pump, but insurance refuses to cover it. The regulation of the insulin by the pump would make his life so much easier, especially for a pre-teen kid that could use one less thing in his life to fight with in regards of having a better life. So, I feel the same way you do...

Medicine is run by . . . people like you and me :) that happen to know a heck of a lot of specialized stuff that takes years and years to really learn.

I fear that it couldn't be any other way than it is. I mean, it makes perfect sense that pharmaceutical companies have the control that they have. They have the drugs, the money to develop them, and the scientists and their brains to keep dreaming them up. Who else does? The "doctors" on infomercials with the two dollar stethoscopes around their necks (we buy those by the bulk, they are disposable)?

For good or bad, they ARE the gods. Yeah, they have us in thrall with their four hundred dollars for a Levaquin pill all right. But it kills MRSA. It saves lives. At this point, the insurance companies ARE on our side, the miserable stingified misers that they are, SOMEONE needs to keep the reigns on the costs. People like you and me certainly cannot pay cash for them!

They all conspired to save your life! I'm so glad they did, too :blowkiss: They miserably fail others. We live in an imperfect world. And I'd rather have this than socialized medicine.

How very sad. She is so brave to document her struggle. I cannot imagine. I always loved Charlie's Angels and I had Farrah hair in high school (I worked for an hour on that hair).

Bless you Farrah and I hope your son straightens up and makes you proud someday.

I know how this cancer takes people and it is a horrible way to die.
Bless her heart, I hope she goes peacefully after all this brave struggle.
I pray for a cure soon!

That is a commonly held opinion, but that's about all it is. It makes a ton of sense until you have direct experience working as a doctor or nurse. I am an oncology RN. I can totally "understand" the lay public's sentiment, but it is based upon not having all of the information. It's easy to attribute dark motives from afar.

Chemotherapy kicks your *advertiser censored*. It kills fast growing cells, which cancer cells are. It also kills normally fast growing cells in the gut and in the bone marrow, thus all of the truly agonizing side effects.

It's easy to say (and believe) that somewhere else (far away, usually) there exists a superior treatment that is being withheld from us. That goes perfectly with the sentiment that doctors are invested in keeping people sick to keep the bucks rolling in. I have yet to see the evidence of better treatments from "afar", and I sincerely believe they would be used and incorporated if they worked.

Would you believe they use ARSENIC for a certain kind of leukemia? That tells me the profession is OPEN to all possibilities, even seemingly strange ones. They have their eyes and ears open, and I trust them.

The glaring problem with logic in this sentiment is that those motives would destabilize the system and destroy it. We'd be in the dark ages, medically, but we just keep going forward.

And besides, every single one of us is GOING THERE SOMEDAY. To the hospital, to the mercy of a doctor and Big Pharma. You, your precious child, your beloved family member. It's going to mess with your head and disable you being there for your ill loved ones, and get mightily in the way of getting care in the first place.

Lots of people go to their graves with mistrust toward the current medical profession, and they go to the same place that all who trust it go to :)

I am convinced myself the system which I'm defending is full of unconscionable hyperinflated costs, human incompetence and selfishness. But it's what we have, and in my direct experience, it works more often, if you work it, than if you don't.

Having an oncologist in my family who quit for some of the above reasons and became a naturopath, I would say that I also have direct insight. Those were direct quotes from him, not myself. We'll have to agree to disagree. I also have personal experience with the treatment I mentioned as I had a tumor in my breast treated in Paris and it disappeared. My dearest friend got HepC from a needle stick (he is an EMT) and he was cured by diet and herbal medicine in Germany. I have more. Case studies and mammograms available regarding the tumor.

Having an oncologist in my family who quit for some of the above reasons and became a naturopath, I would say that I also have direct insight. Those were direct quotes from him, not myself. We'll have to agree to disagree. I also have personal experience with the treatment I mentioned as I had a tumor in my breast treated in Paris and it disappeared. My dearest friend got HepC from a needle stick (he is an EMT) and he was cured by diet and herbal medicine in Germany. I have more. Case studies and mammograms available regarding the tumor.

I pray I never have to make the decision to trust Western medicine with cancer treatment because I have no idea what I would do! I certainly don't have the money to go to Europe and seek alternative therapies.

Long ago I heard about Dr. Lorraine Day and her story was pretty amazing.

I don't believe that every doctor is evil and continuing to participate in a giant conspiracy, but I do believe they are brainwashed to a degree.

You can decide for yourself if she's a nut: www.drday.com but I believe there has to be some meet in the middle solution here. What she says makes much sense and she is an MD with experience in the immune system. Logically, you can't destroy an immune system and expect that you're going to help someone get over cancer. jmo. I had a friend who died of cancer, well, not from the cancer - he died from the effects of Chemo! True.

I don't believe in vaccinations. I do believe the drug companies create crap to make money much like I don't trust that my computer viruses aren't createdby those that benefit by selling virus protection.

Farrah's condition has made me very sad. I hope she is comfortable and enjoying her time.
God bless you, Farrah, and thanks for all the enjoybale films and shows.

I'm trying to get health insurance now (no one wants to cover a peptic ulcer, apparently) but when I DID have it, I could not believe how many pills the doctors I saw wanted to give me. It was a sure way for me to quit going to that doctor. Blech.

I have a friend who works in that pharmaceuticals and yes, they do encourage doctors to buy these drugs and dispense them like crazy. They make money doing that.

I'm big on alternative health now, mainly because I have to be, but I'm glad because otherwise I'd have nothing.

Farrah Fawcett's 91-year-old father James is flying into Los Angeles to say goodbye to his dying daughter, reports RadarOnline.com and KTLA.

Farrah's condition has allegedly worsened. The 62-year-old actress and Hollywood icon is battling anal cancer that spread, according to doctor's statements

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the...rsens-her-father-91-comes-to-say-goodbye.html

I wonder if Lee Majors will say a respectful goodbye. They seemed to have an amicable relationship. Anyway, I guess I'm saying I hope he does.

Farrah has been in my thoughts lately, as like many of you, I grew up watching Charlie's Angels. And the movie Extremities was just such a heart wrenching movie (and she played it the best). The Burning Bed was also another favorite. Interestingly enough the location of the house that was burned down is still visible in Dansville to this day.

Man of the house was good too.

Come to think of it, I think i've watched all of Farrah's movies. She really is a fantastic actress.

Best,

Snipped:

Bobbisangel, I think the same thing. I think it's also the reason we don't have a cure for the common cold. There's just too much money made off of these drugs.

Tatum does have a brother; his name is Griffin. He's had the same problems as the rest of the family.

Another brother, Griffin O'Neal, also has suffered bouts with addiction and was found guilty of reckless boating in the 1986 accident that killed the son of "Godfather" director Francis Ford Coppola.
Griffin and dad Ryan O'Neal drew headlines last year when they brawled at the family's Malibu home following a party that celebrated Fawcett's cancer remission

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2...tle_brother_follows_in_s.html#ixzz0EL8Zo4Rj&B

Something else I was thinking about. Stress plays a major role in a person's health. How much of this constant bickering, arrests, etc. is causing Farrah's health to be worse?

You sure have a point there - stress plays a huge part in disease and recovery. Stress is one thing we should all get out of our lives (however impossible). After a recent surgery I started doing reflexology, taking vitamins, and sleeping more. WOW - what a difference. By no means is this a cure all, but it doesn't hurt.

I think if America stepped up to the plate and did more stem cell research (like Germany) perhaps we would be further along than we are now -- in terms of cures. I also believe we desperately need more money for research. You hear about all these programs being cut, etc. There are amazing doctors, scientists out there that simply don't have the means or the funds to find their way -- it's quite sad, because I know in my heart we can do it. We put a man on the moon didn't we??

Just random thoughts ---

Her poor father. He's the last of his immediately family isn't he? That has got to be incredibly hard.

:doh: That man...I'm at a loss for words.

:doh: That man...I'm at a loss for words.

It is sad. But I have always felt like he was a philanderer - their life together has had some real struggles.

I hope she's so out of it that this information doesn't make it's way to her.

Anal cancer is often associated with STDs. I do not know if that is the case for Farrah, but it's something to think about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya
Back