Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<respectfully snipped by me>

Ann Rule stated JS didn't want to file a formal police complaint but he wanted to have the incident "on record." I don't know that simply having the incident on record would be enough to protect him and the dog, but perhaps his desire to avoid negative publicity was a factor in that choice. On the other hand, I wonder if JS anticipated the violence could escalate and felt it was important to begin formally acknowledging/recording it. I have long wondered if Rebecca's death was the result of an escalation of previously documented domestic violence.

All of the above is just my opinion and pure speculation.

In Ann Rule's book she writes about JS being questioned by the detectives. He is quoted as wondering if he is in danger, if he should be worried. It's also written that he went to RZ's funeral with two other men (it's "speculated" that they are body guards). While I agree that JS is not a gangster or someone who would be in need security, regardless of his wealth and influence, it's not noted anywhere that he had them before, it's interesting that his thoughts when talking to detectives ran to his safety. Perhaps that is why he made police reports back in the late 00's. To ensure that there was a history reported. Perhaps that is why he (possibly) feared for his own safety after RZ was found. The book is rather ambiguous about it, not stating anything one way or the other. Is it possible that he thought someone was out to destroy him? Is that why he (or someone) sent a one line text message and did not include someone in his own non-profit launch? Please note, I am only speculating and voicing thoughts. I've been on the fence with this mess from the get go. There are so many possibilities, but the way Ms. Rule presented her chapters on this gave me the impression that JS was scared. But of who?

Always MOO

In Ann Rule's book she writes about JS being questioned by the detectives. He is quoted as wondering if he is in danger, if he should be worried. It's also written that he went to RZ's funeral with two other men (it's "speculated" that they are body guards). While I agree that JS is not a gangster or someone who would be in need security, regardless of his wealth and influence, it's not noted anywhere that he had them before, it's interesting that his thoughts when talking to detectives ran to his safety. Perhaps that is why he made police reports back in the late 00's. To ensure that there was a history reported. Perhaps that is why he (possibly) feared for his own safety after RZ was found. The book is rather ambiguous about it, not stating anything one way or the other. Is it possible that he thought someone was out to destroy him? Is that why he (or someone) sent a one line text message and did not include someone in his own non-profit launch? Please note, I am only speculating and voicing thoughts. I've been on the fence with this mess from the get go. There are so many possibilities, but the way Ms. Rule presented her chapters on this gave me the impression that JS was scared. But of who?

Always MOO

Is has been reported somewhere that JS hired a private detective after RZ's death. Could be that they went with him. Heck, IDK.

When AR wrote the book, it was believed that the buyers of the Spreckels mansion were actually separate from JS. We now know that that is not true. It is fascinating that in her book, AR wrote that the buyers stated that the first thing they were planning to do during the remodel was tear down the 'hanging' balcony.
Wow. Bye bye evidence. Bye bye CRUCIAL evidence.

DO NOT BRING INNOCENT INDIVIDUALS INTO THIS DISCUSSION. IF THEY ARE MENTIONED IN ANN'S BOOK - YOU MAY MENTION HERE BY THEIR INITIALS, ONLY.

Guys - think about this. Would you want your name splashed all over the pages of WS (or any internet site for that matter) JUST because you knew someone else?

Please be respectful of others.

Thanks,

Salem

I'm trying to remember where I read that a woman had befriended AS after the killing and he told her that he had seen RZ hanging at night, not found her in the morning.

I'm trying to remember where I read that a woman had befriended AS after the killing and he told her that he had seen RZ hanging at night, not found her in the morning.

Reality Chatter...........not likely that happened, IMO.

I see a reference to this on page 271 of Ann Rule's book. However, I'm interpreting it differently. It states Robert Faigin sent a letter to Martin Rudoy as a follow-up to their meeting and emails from Rudoy. There's a reference to a confidential informant who supposedly befriended AS after Rebecca's death. This person claimed AS confessed to her that he found Rebecca hanging upon his return to Spreckels, rather than upon waking, but it doesn't say if this was in the evening or in the morning. Paraphrasing, Faigin said they considered it hearsay and not relevant.

I honestly don't know if it means evening or morning, but I lean more toward it meaning morning.

Just my opinion.

I see a reference to this on page 271 of Ann Rule's book. However, I'm interpreting it differently. It states Robert Faigin sent a letter to Martin Rudoy as a follow-up to their meeting and emails from Rudoy. There's a reference to a confidential informant who supposedly befriended AS after Rebecca's death. This person claimed AS confessed to her that he found Rebecca hanging upon his return to Spreckels, rather than upon waking, but it doesn't say if this was in the evening or in the morning. Paraphrasing, Faigin said they considered it hearsay and not relevant.

I honestly don't know if it means evening or morning, but I lean more toward it meaning morning.

Just my opinion.

Thanks. That was it. I couldn't find it when I looked through the e-book again.

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/...ebecca-zahau-coronado-spreckels-fatal-friends

"The sheriff says she died by her own hand, but Ann Rule says no, Rebecca Zahau was slain.

“The physical evidence, her injuries, the way she was tied up—that all seems to veer away from the suicide theory for me,” said Rule, a best-selling crime author and one-time police officer who has been called upon to lecture law enforcement officials from local agencies to the FBI.

“I absolutely don't think Jonah was responsible because we know where he was at all times and I think he cared about Becky,” Rule said of the Arizona pharmaceuticals magnate.

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/...ebecca-zahau-coronado-spreckels-fatal-friends

"The sheriff says she died by her own hand, but Ann Rule says no, Rebecca Zahau was slain.

“The physical evidence, her injuries, the way she was tied up—that all seems to veer away from the suicide theory for me,” said Rule, a best-selling crime author and one-time police officer who has been called upon to lecture law enforcement officials from local agencies to the FBI.

“I absolutely don't think Jonah was responsible because we know where he was at all times and I think he cared about Becky,” Rule said of the Arizona pharmaceuticals magnate.

thank you ... that narrows the field a bit (if Ann is right). :rocker:

"Investigators amassed mounds of evidence, from the mansion, guesthouse and courtyard – clothing and hair, fingerprints and DNA, knives and paintbrushes – but failed to test all of it or, she wrote, to thoroughly search all of the property's vast grounds.

... Part of what attracts her to unsolved or unexplained cases, which comprise about 20 percent of the articles and books she writes, Rule said, is drawing in witnesses who might have been holding back evidence. She said she has been contacted by people with important information via the Internet and acts as a conduit to police when necessary."

Well, I think there is a lot of hope people will come forward, new information discovered, and evidence can still be tested/retested/found?

I hope Ann writing this book adds some clout to get the case reopened. It certainly could have added some to what the Zahau attorneys and investigators know and thought.

Just my opinion.

I'm trying to find discrepancies within Adam's accounting of events. Soooo, this one is not one to really be considered. Fine.
OK, did the 911 call from Adam say that RZ was hung in/from the guesthouse? If so, it could be that in a panic he let something slip. Can anyone help me out here?
We already know that Adam's version of who went to dinner together the night of the hanging did not match up with JS' account.

Just my opinion.

Seeing this in AR's book takes the whole tragedy to another level.

I'm sorry, but just reading that ...suddenly all the timelines, fact gathering and research make the reality of RZ's murder become very real. It makes me feel like I have to vomit and faint all the same time.

OMG, this is just so real now.

:notgood: :sigh:

RBBM - ? He called 411 - is this correct? Isn’t 411 for non-emergencies/information?

If so … let me get this straight … he “got a girl hung herself” and he is heard asking her “are you alive” and he called a non-emergency/information number? What am I missing? TIA

Typo. My bad. Sorry. 911

<clipped respectfully>.
OK, did the 911 call from Adam say that RZ was hung in/from the guesthouse? If so, it could be that in a panic he let something slip. Can anyone help me out here?
Gilgamesh, is this what you mean?

11 Operator: 911 Emergency, what are you reporting?

AS: Yeah, I got a girl, hung herself in the guest house, over, it's on Ocean Boulevard across from the hotel. Same place you came and got the kid yesterday.

Gilgamesh, is this what you mean?

11 Operator: 911 Emergency, what are you reporting?

AS: Yeah, I got a girl, hung herself in the guest house, over, it's on Ocean Boulevard across from the hotel. Same place you came and got the kid yesterday.

Gilgamesh good catch and thanks Carioca for finding the quote.

Why would he say "hung herself in the guest house"? I take it he's talking about the Hotel Coronado, but I don't see how that's any big clue about where he is calling from :waitasec:

I have to go back to the dufus factor on some of this.

Thank you, Carioca. Yep, that's it. Good find.
I think that this is NOT a dufus factor situation. I do think that Adam could be confused about WHEN they came and picked up Max if he had Ambien in his system OR if he had been up all night. I definitely do NOT think that saying that he had a girl who hung herself in the GUESTHOUSE was due to the dufus factor. I think that was a slip up and it creeps me out.
JMO, as always.

With all due respect, there are also 2 witnesses who claim to have seen Dina at the mansion. Which witnesses are we to believe. Why didn't LE follow up on Nina's polygraph or give Jonah and Dina a polygraph? This surely would have helped SDSO prove their theory. So much was not investigated and only created doubts. In my opinion, there is no difference when it is stated XZ should take a polygraph. LE should have closed all the holes, not just a select few.

I haven't accused anyone of murder. I believe this was not a thorough investigation and LE should re-open the case.

Hi Lash, where did you read that Nina took a polygraph?

Hi Lash, where did you read that Nina took a polygraph?

Nina was scheduled to take a polygraph, but when they announced that Max was officially brain dead on Friday, 7/15 (at least to the family), she called and said that she couldn't possibly do it due to the circumstances.........this was in her interview with Channel 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member