Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are Monday morning quarterbacks in every city. Even if the case were re-opened and the conclusion stayed unchanged, some will still insist it was murder. Not all opinions are going to agree about any case. There are those who still believe Lee Harvey Oswald didn't act alone even though the case was reviewed and the conclusion was unchanged.

I'm assuming that all members of the various LE agencies and ME's office that handled RZ's investigation all live in the area. They have publicly expressed their professional opinion it was suicide. Unless there is new evidence presented, I don't believe their professional opinions will be changed.

JMO

I agree with the part of your comment I bolded.

The reason I agree with this is because I do not think it is human nature to want to believe that what ever your professional opinion is on a matter in your field was faulty. I do not think that would ever be admitted to no matter what.

Dr. Godwin graphically showed how the police officers boot print was placed over a second hitherto unidentified shoeprint. That was new evidence that the sdso turned a blind eye to. I do not think any new evidence would be visible to them because they already decided and they determined that they never have and never will admit to making a rush to judgement. This is entirely understandable in human terms however irrational in what would be considered professional accountability, imo.

I agree with the part of your comment I bolded.

The reason I agree with this is because I do not think it is human nature to want to believe that what ever your professional opinion is on a matter in your field was faulty. I do not think that would ever be admitted to no matter what.

Dr. Godwin graphically showed how the police officers boot print was placed over a second hitherto unidentified shoeprint. That was new evidence that the sdso turned a blind eye to. I do not think any new evidence would be visible to them because they already decided and they determined that they never have and never will admit to making a rush to judgement. This is entirely understandable in human terms however irrational in what would be considered professional accountability, imo.

At best, all Dr. Godwin had to go by was a photograph. His conclusion apparently did not satisfy the experts in San Diego that it was new evidence. Experts don't always agree and that is why there are processes in place to complain and to request new investigations. A professional opinion can be overruled. There is eventually an end to the process however and there is no further recourse.

JMO

At best, all Dr. Godwin had to go by was a photograph. His conclusion apparently did not satisfy the experts in San Diego that it was new evidence. Experts don't always agree and that is why there are processes in place to complain and to request new investigations. A professional opinion can be overruled. There is eventually an end to the process however and there is no further recourse.

JMO

I bolded the above statement because I thought it was ironic because this is a thread about Anne Rule's new book.

In "The Still of The Night" she wrote about how LE classified Rhonda Reynolds death as a suicide when Rhoda's mother believed she had been murdered. Though Rhonda died 14 years ago this April 2012 article shows that there is still interest in publishing articles on this case.

The Anne's book on Rhonda's death investigation outlines Rhonda's mother's odyssey to have her daughter's death reclassified. Rhonda died in 1998 but Rhonda's mother continues to this day pursue answers because of the shoddy police investigation done. According to; http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/?p=11967

"Ron Reynolds, on the advice of attorneys, avoided testifying not only at the inquest, but at the 2009 judicial review in Chehalis. He’s spoken publicly only once before, when he answered numerous questions at a press conference in November."

So as you can see a dedicated family can and will pursue justice for their loved one's sake. Though the wheels of justice may turn exceeding slow in some cases let's not forget that the interest and persistence in keeping them turning can literally last a lifetime for some.

I bolded the above statement because I thought it was ironic because this is a thread about Anne Rule's new book.

In "The Still of The Night" she wrote about how LE classified Rhonda Reynolds death as a suicide when Rhoda's mother believed she had been murdered.

The book outlines Rhonda's mother's odyssey to have her daughter's death reclassified. Rhonda died in 1998 but Rhonda's mother continues to this day pursue answers because of the shoddy police investigation done. According to; http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/?p=11967

"Ron Reynolds, on the advice of attorneys, avoided testifying not only at the inquest, but at the 2009 judicial review in Chehalis. He’s spoken publicly only once before, when he answered numerous questions at a press conference in November."

So as you can see a dedicated family can and will pursue justice for their loved one's. Though the wheels of justice may turn exceeding slow in some cases let's not forget that the interest and persistence in keeping them turning can literally last a lifetime for some.

I have yet to see Ann Rule express an opinion that the investigation into RZ's death was a "shoddy" investigation. Her promo mentioned a "rush to judgment" but that doesn't equate to her opinion that the investigation was "shoddy."

I do feel sorry for families that spend the rest of their lives in futility. It seems such a waste of their own lives and I doubt that is what the deceased would have wanted.

JMO

I have yet to see Ann Rule express an opinion that the investigation into RZ's death was a "shoddy" investigation. Her promo mentioned a "rush to judgment" but that doesn't equate to her opinion that the investigation was "shoddy."

I do feel sorry for families that spend the rest of their lives in futility. It seems such a waste of their own lives and I doubt that is what the deceased would have wanted.

JMO

If you re-read the comment, it refers to the "shoddy" investigation of Rhonda Reynold's death, the one Ann Rule wrote about in her previous book.

As for pursuing justice for a loved one who has been murdered, most wouldn't consider it a waste of time. No one should be allowed to murder someone, then be allowed to walk free in the community. It puts the public at risk because a violent person who has murdered once is likely to do so again.

JMO

BBM

Rhonda's mother is a greatly admired woman for her persistence and dedication. I would think it gives her great peace to know that she will do all in her power to win justice for her daughter even if it takes a lifetime.

Some people really do feel better about doing what they believe is right no matter what the cost rather than taking an easier and more comfortable road.

I believe those people that do what they feel is right are richly fulfilled and honor their time on earth. I admire Rhonda's mother's dedication but understand we are not all cut from the same cloth. I would never think to judge or condemn a family member who just wanted to put it behind them and move on.

The beauty of life is that we are all different and stand out in different ways. If we were all the same then how boring would that be?

Rhonda's mother is a greatly admired woman for her persistence and dedication. I would think it gives her great peace to know that she will do all in her power to win justice for her daughter even if it takes a lifetime.

Some people really do feel better about doing what they believe is right no matter what the cost rather than taking an easier and more comfortable road.

I believe those people that do what they feel is right are richly fulfilled and honor their time on earth. I admire Rhonda's mother's dedication but understand we are not all cut from the same cloth. I would never think to judge or condemn a family member who just wanted to put it behind them and move on.

The beauty of life is that we are all different and stand out in different ways. If we were all the same then how boring would that be?

"The Still of the Night" was a great book. I read it several months ago and came to really admire Rhonda's mother. She's a true hero.

In the case of Rhonda's husband, Ron, its chilling to think that someone who may have murdered his wife could still work as an elementary school principal. If it were Ron's son who committed the murder the consequences are worse - he's already an angry, disturbed young man who has many problems with drinking and drug abuse. Not the kind of person you want living in your town.

Then there's the problem with the local prosecutor's office and LE. How many more murders will they cover up to protect someone because they're a friend and considered a respected member of the community?

I think both Rhonda's mother and the Zahau's need to start the healing process and accept that the deaths were suicide. You can't get justice for a murder if there was no murder.

If you re-read the comment, it refers to the "shoddy" investigation of Rhonda Reynold's death, the one Ann Rule wrote about in her previous book.

As for pursuing justice for a loved one who has been murdered, most wouldn't consider it a waste of time. No one should be allowed to murder someone, then be allowed to walk free in the community. It puts the public at risk because a violent person who has murdered once is likely to do so again.

There has been no prosecution in the Reynold's case. A mother's opinion isn't evidence of a crime.

There is nothing that suggests Ann Rule considers RZ's investigation to be "shoddy." The Reynold's death was years ago and there has been no prosecution. The prosecutor said there was no compelling evidence of homicide and there was evidence it was a suicide in the Reynold's case. Her mother's belief it was murder isn't enough to persuade the prosecutor. Is his work therefore "shoddy" too?

RZ's death is still ruled a suicide and the prosecutor hasn't challenged it.

JMO

I think both Rhonda's mother and the Zahau's need to start the healing process and accept that the deaths were suicide. You can't get justice for a murder if there was no murder.

Exactly. Ann Rule profits from another's misery.

What a shame that a family concludes the path to justice is only via a cable show lawyer and a crime writer--one who is such a poor judge of character she failed to recognize the guy working beside her was capable of horrific, multiple, cold-blooded slaughters. When she did finally accept it, she profitted handsomely from it. There is just something creepy to me about it.

JMO

There has been no prosecution in the Reynold's case. A mother's opinion isn't evidence of a crime.

There is nothing that suggests Ann Rule considers RZ's investigation to be "shoddy." The Reynold's death was years ago and there has been no prosecution. The prosecutor said there was no compelling evidence of homicide and there was evidence it was a suicide in the Reynold's case. Her mother's belief it was murder isn't enough to persuade the prosecutor. Is his work therefore "shoddy" too?

RZ's death is still ruled a suicide and the prosecutor hasn't challenged it.

JMO

Perhaps you should read the book. If you did, you would find that the investigation of Reynold's death was shoddy.

Rhonda's mother was successful in getting her cause of death changed from suicide to undetermined. That victory places a shadow of suspicion on the LE and prosecutor who bungled the investigation and refused to investigate Ron Reynolds for murder. It gives the local citizens important information that could motivate them to clean up their county.

What a shame that a family concludes the path to justice is only via a cable show lawyer and a crime writer--one who is such a poor judge of character she failed to recognize the guy working beside her was capable of horrific, multiple, cold-blooded slaughters. When she did finally accept it, she profitted handsomely from it. There is just something creepy to me about it.

JMO

I must have missed something? Do tell!

Perhaps you should read the book. If you did, you would find that the investigation of Reynold's death was shoddy.

Rhonda's mother was successful in getting her cause of death changed from suicide to undetermined. That victory places a shadow of suspicion on the LE and prosecutor who bungled the investigation and refused to investigate Ron Reynolds for murder. It gives the local citizens important information that could motivate them to clean up their county.

Peter Van Sant nor the Prosecutor called the investigation shoddy. I'll go by their opinion, not a writer of sensationalism who profitted from the case.

JMO

Peter Van Sant nor the Prosecutor called the investigation shoddy. I'll go by their opinion, not a writer of sensationalism who profitted from the case.

JMO

:waitasec:

I always find it fascinating to see how and why people believe things and what they allow to influence their thought processes. I have always found "Americans" to be especially resilient, independent and self reliant thinkers.

I think that is part of the reason why "Americans" are admired and emulated world wide. This is just my opinion only and possibly what some may label egotistical pride in my fellow countrymen and women but I perceive that we are a singularly peculiar and stubborn people in the area of independence of thought.

I believe much to the chagrin of those who would have otherwise that "Americans" question everything and are not a nation of sheep. Therefore, according to my own stated perceptions I don't believe many people here will buy into LE/press proclamations that do not stand up to logic or hard core common sense.

I must have missed something? Do tell!

They became friends working together at a suicide preventine hotline. She seemed to need to be convinced he was actually a killer but had no problem after his arrest of reaping huge financial rewards. I've always thought it was a bit creepy. Not to mention she was an incredibly poor judge of character.

JMO

I always find it fascinating to see how and why people believe things and what they allow to influence their thought processes. I have always found "Americans" to be especially resilient, independent and self reliant thinkers.

I think that is part of the reason why "Americans" are admired and emulated world wide. This is just my opinion only and possibly what some may label egotistical pride in my fellow countrymen and women but I perceive that we are a singularly peculiar and stubborn people in the area of independence of thought.

I believe much to the chagrin of those who would have otherwise that "Americans" question everything and are not a nation of sheep. Therefore, according to my own stated perceptions I don't believe many people here will buy into LE/press proclamations that do not stand up to logic or hard core common sense.

I agree. I also think Americans have an aversion to people with a great deal of power and money influencing government institutions to victimize those who don't have the means to find justice. Americans have always supported the common man, so to speak. That's an ingrained part of our culture.

They became friends working together at a suicide preventine hotline. She seemed to need to be convinced he was actually a killer but had no problem after his arrest of reaping huge financial rewards. I've always thought it was a bit creepy. Not to mention she was an incredibly poor judge of character.

JMO

Who is the "they"? Ann and ???

JMO

Quite the opposite, IMO.

Anne Rule's book about Ted Bundy, one of the worst psychopaths in US history, was a great tool to educate people about how psychopathic criminals are so adept at fooling others around them. Today, anyone following a criminal case involving extreme psychopaths always recalls Ted Bundy as a prime example of how they can manipulate and fool witnesses, LE and victims.

Her personal story was a great tool for public education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luisgill