FL – David, 88, & Mina Swan, 80, Double Murder, Clearwater, 29 SEP 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Were they Scientologists by any chance? In view of the recent broadcasts of Leah Remini revealing Scientology's goals and methods as well as what's been going on in Clearwater for decades now involving that "religion", it is a question that bears asking.
I wouldn’t think anyone that has money, would be with Scientology. They take everything. 80k for a course? You don’t have money long. Besides neither show up on the Clear or course lists.

ETA: while Scientology has a huge presence, the majority of parishioners live either in apartments in monitored and gated prison, I’m sorry, complexes. If not there, in converted hotels where there can be 6-8 people in a 50s era motel. Those that have their own homes, sometimes are forced to take out second mortgages to keep “on course”. There’s no way they would be traveling and financially solvent if they were Scientologists. It doesn’t happen.

Last edited:
That's interesting to me. I can't believe a building permit was required to replace an entry door?? And quite an expensive one at that.
Everything needs a permit. I live in the next twin, just 10 minutes away, you can’t do anything like that without a permit-it’s related to hurricane safety. Everything Is over regulated, my 1400 sq ft home needed 6 smoke detectors, One of which was out of position by a few inches and we failed to get the certificate,for occupancy. You can’t even pour a concrete slab just for an ac unit without permits and expection.

Just saw this pop up on my unwatched/new posting list, and was hoping new information. Hate these cases that drag on, and thanks for the locals and @SeesSeas for keeping up with it.

I just googled to see if any updates, and saw the presser that I must have missed last year with both sides of the family speaking when the reward was increased to $50,000 at

Detectives continue to ask anyone with information to call 727-562-4141.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t think anyone that has money, would be with Scientology. They take everything. 80k for a course? You don’t have money long. Besides neither show up on the Clear or course lists.

ETA: while Scientology has a huge presence, the majority of parishioners live either in apartments in monitored and gated prison, I’m sorry, complexes. If not there, in converted hotels where there can be 6-8 people in a 50s era motel. Those that have their own homes, sometimes are forced to take out second mortgages to keep “on course”. There’s no way they would be traveling and financially solvent if they were Scientologists. It doesn’t happen.

I was curious as to whether their property might be of interest to the Scientologists who, by all accounts, continue to buy and own sizable portions of Clear Water. The Scientology Church uses all types of tactics to get what they want.

I was curious as to whether their property might be of interest to the Scientologists who, by all accounts, continue to buy and own sizable portions of Clear Water. The Scientology Church uses all types of tactics to get what they want.
There are sites where people who,have taken courses at Scientology are listed as to what they’ve taken and when. I didn’t see them on any lists.

Most of what Scientology owns is in the immediate downtown area. I live here, so I’m fairly sure they wouldn’t purchase a single home like this. Tampa bay times has an article on how Scientology bought clearwater...it shows the buildings in downtown. This is not in the city center.

Thanks, sneezy, and good sleuthing!

There are sites where people who,have taken courses at Scientology are listed as to what they’ve taken and when. I didn’t see them on any lists.

Most of what Scientology owns is in the immediate downtown area. I live here, so I’m fairly sure they wouldn’t purchase a single home like this. Tampa bay times has an article on how Scientology bought clearwater...it shows the buildings in downtown. This is not in the city center.

<modsnip>

As far as the Swans murders go... let's just say Clearwater PDs homicide investigators are a joke. They aren't putting much effort into solving this case. They're waiting for the killer to tell someone and I personally don't think that will ever happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years after a Clearwater couple's murder, police release scene photos in hopes of finding killer
September 29, 2020

Newly-obtained evidence photos shed light on red flags that led to discovery of a murdered Clearwater couple

September 28, 2020
Lawsuit: $511,000 in the couple's inheritance held up in court, daughter sues step-brother
CLEARWATER, Fla. -- ABC Action News has obtained new evidence pictures in the grisly double murder of a Clearwater couple. Two years, since the crime rocked the Flushing Avenue neighborhood, detectives haven't been able to piece together who pulled the trigger.
[...]
Lieutenant Michael Walek tells ABC Action News he's not ready to call this a cold case. Instead, it's an unsolved mystery he's ready to crack open. [...]

Walek says there are a lot of unknowns and several theories on the table, including money, but they are sure the Swans were targeted. “100%, this was not a random act," he said.
[...]
The bottom line is the suit alleges the couple's joint bank account was being misused on the part of David Swan. Additionally, it claims, that David failed to pay his wife money he agreed and signed over to her in a promissory note.
[...]
The reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction, in this case, is now up to $53,000.

Scientologists just bought my neighbor's house and I swear they've turned it into a money laundering scheme along with tax fraud. The Scientologists that originally bought it is Miscavige's Mistress's cousin(I did some digging on her to find out who she was). Owned it for almost a year, was rarely there, it was basically a scieno hotel. Listed it for $100,000 more than they paid and it sold in less than a month. Guess who moved in? More Scientologists from California. They moved in with a RV that they're always getting clothes or other things out of. So it's clear to me they're just camping there for a while. It makes me so mad that they took over a great home in a great neighborhood and purposely overpriced it.

As far as the Swans murders go... let's just say Clearwater PDs homicide investigators are a joke. They aren't putting much effort into solving this case. They're waiting for the killer to tell someone and I personally don't think that will ever happen.

That is more true about CPD than you know. They really do believe that a double murderer, in a death penalty state, is CALLING THEM.. They do. I mean come on. They live in a fantasy world

Scientologists just bought my neighbor's house and I swear they've turned it into a money laundering scheme along with tax fraud. The Scientologists that originally bought it is Miscavige's Mistress's cousin(I did some digging on her to find out who she was). Owned it for almost a year, was rarely there, it was basically a scieno hotel. Listed it for $100,000 more than they paid and it sold in less than a month. Guess who moved in? More Scientologists from California. They moved in with a RV that they're always getting clothes or other things out of. So it's clear to me they're just camping there for a while. It makes me so mad that they took over a great home in a great neighborhood and purposely overpriced it.

Haven't visited this thread in a while, but yeah, the term "money laundering" appears to be written all over so much. See this article from just yesterday.

" Last week, Mayor Frank Hibbard sat across a conference table from Scientology leader David Miscavige and asked about the dozens of downtown retail properties that have sat vacant since companies tied to the church began purchasing them in 2017.

From 2017 to 2019, 32 limited liability companies controlled by Scientology parishioners bought about 100 commercial properties within walking distance of the downtown waterfront, where the city is preparing to break ground on a $64 million new park.

The companies paid a total of $103 million, almost all in cash. They made offers on buildings that weren’t for sale, and paid two to six times the appraised value. Today, 35 storefronts and buildings are still empty. The new owners have 28 vacant lots. At least 15 businesses that got new landlords tied to Scientology moved out and were not replaced."

Much much more in this lengthy article. Above BBM

Scientology leader to Clearwater mayor: downtown land buys ‘not coordinated’ by church

ETA: IIRC, isn't the City Commission now full of Scientology members?

ETA #2... Perhaps I was wrong? found this....."When Bunker volunteered Monday to serve on the city’s Downtown Development Board, City Attorney Pam Akin pointed out that a 20-year-old court injunction prevents him and any Scientologist from coming within 10 feet of each other. As of October, a majority of the development board’s members are Scientology parishioners.".... Today, four Scientologists are among the seven members of the development board, an elected body that has a modest budget to market downtown Clearwater."

Can new Clearwater council member, Scientologists keep their distance?

Last edited:
That is more true about CPD than you know. They really do believe that a double murderer, in a death penalty state, is CALLING THEM.. They do. I mean come on. They live in a fantasy world
I'm beginning to see or have seen that the DA's office won't even attempt a case with circumstantial evidence. They want cold hard proof. I don't think they will ever get that in this case and I'm sure plenty of others. I mean look at the poor girl the Bob's Carpet Mart dude killed. They won't do anything with that case. It's like they will only attempt a case if they have a confession, a witness, or a witness placing someone at the scene. So the cops just live right in the delusion that every case is perfectly laid out or they don't bother. They just think a big reward will make someone confess.

I'm beginning to see or have seen that the DA's office won't even attempt a case with circumstantial evidence. They want cold hard proof. I don't think they will ever get that in this case and I'm sure plenty of others. I mean look at the poor girl the Bob's Carpet Mart dude killed. They won't do anything with that case. It's like they will only attempt a case if they have a confession, a witness, or a witness placing someone at the scene. So the cops just live right in the delusion that every case is perfectly laid out or they don't bother. They just think a big reward will make someone confess.
Yeah, straight out of a 1940's penny-novel..LOL

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...le-who-was-killed-in-2018-begging-for-answers
Family of Clearwater couple who was killed in 2018 begging for answers
Sep 29, 2021
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Three years ago, someone killed a Clearwater couple in their 80s and the crime is still puzzling detectives who have tracked down hundreds of leads.
[...]
Detectives say the Swans were shot multiple times, but investigators say there’s no evidence anyone broke in or stole anything from their home.

Sgt. Dan Loder says detectives have now followed up on more than 300 leads and interviewed dozens of people.
[...]
There’s a $53,000 reward for anyone who gives a tip that leads to an arrest in this case. $50,000 was raised by the family alone. The other $3,000 comes from Crimestoppers.
[...]

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...le-who-was-killed-in-2018-begging-for-answers
Family of Clearwater couple who was killed in 2018 begging for answers
Sep 29, 2021
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Three years ago, someone killed a Clearwater couple in their 80s and the crime is still puzzling detectives who have tracked down hundreds of leads.
[...]
Detectives say the Swans were shot multiple times, but investigators say there’s no evidence anyone broke in or stole anything from their home.

Sgt. Dan Loder says detectives have now followed up on more than 300 leads and interviewed dozens of people.
[...]
There’s a $53,000 reward for anyone who gives a tip that leads to an arrest in this case. $50,000 was raised by the family alone. The other $3,000 comes from Crimestoppers.
[...]

Have you checked on the status of the Swan's estates lately?

Yes, I periodically check the cases. Two are closed. One is open but appears to be on track to close soon.
https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/default.aspx

NOEL DEVINE Vs. STEVEN C SWAN
04/13/2021 ORDER OF DISMISSAL Doc # 45
W/PREJUDICE
Vol./Book 21487, Page 962, 1 pages
04/07/2021 CORRESPONDENCE TO COURT RE Doc # 44

PROPOSED ORDER W/ATTACHED COPY STIPULATION

IN RE: THE ESTATE OF DAVID S SWAN, JR
09/20/2021 ORDER OF DISCHARGE Doc # 89
04/07/2021 RELEASE OF CLAIM Doc # 76

IN RE: THE ESTATE OF MINA A. SWAN
03/29/2022 NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION Doc # 62
4-26-22
02/16/2022 AMENDED INVENTORY Doc # 61
01/28/2022 ORDER TO APPEAR CASE MGNT CONFERENCE Doc # 60

2-18-22
01/21/2022 INFORMATION FILED Doc # 59
REPORT OF ADMINISTRATOR AD LITEM
10/06/2021 REMINDER: DOCUMENTS TO CLOSE CASE DUE Doc # 58

Actually David S Swan Jr's estate is closed and Noel's bogus lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice.
Mina Swan's estate is still open and had an Administrator Ad Litem appointed by the court over a year ago.
Courts rarely do that. Makes you wonder what she was up to don't you think?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back