FL – David, 88, & Mina Swan, 80, Double Murder, Clearwater, 29 SEP 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The wording of the DEC 2006 letter from DS to MS leads me to believe that MS was reluctant to cancel the homeowners insurance. I think it was 'against the grain' of her lifestyle. DS was a CPA with decades of financial experience, likely savvy at risk vs benefit decisions. $3,500 was probably the amount of the annual insurance premium. It seems that the letter to MS was his way of reassuring her that a decision to forgo maintaining the insurance would not impact her adversely; that she could 'save' the $3,500 that he promised to pay her each year, and that he would also cover any potential losses beyond the amount saved.

What is puzzling to me is that the $ half-million $ lawsuit alleges that DS "failed to make payments as agreed in the Note" and "such failure was a breach of agreement".

In addition, the lawsuit alleges that DS transferred jointly held funds "into an account or to multiple accounts in which neither Mina nor her Estate had/has any interest; and that DS "executed such transfers without the knowledge or consent of Mina."
Yes, that too! I'd sure like to hear a lawyer's take on all of this. A CPA's take wouldn't hurt, either..
I don't have any opinion yet as to whether any of these odd issues or "irregularities" could have anything to do with the Swans' murders, but so often financial angles do. There's little else "out there" to look at, thus far.

No answers, no arrests a year after the double murder of an elderly Clearwater Couple
Updated: 8:20 PM, Sep 27, 2019
CLEARWATER, Fla. -- It’s been one year since a Clearwater elderly couple was discovered shot dead.

Twelve months later, there is still no arrest for the murders of David and Mina Swan.

Clearwater Police says it has interviewed 100 people and collected 200 pieces of evidence. Despite the investigative efforts and a $53,000 reward money, put up by mostly family of the victims, no one has been charged.
[...]

Detectives still need help to pin down Clearwater couple's killer
Posted Sep 27 2019 11:01PM EDT
CLEARWATER, Fla. (FOX 13) - One year later, there are still no answers in the killing of an elderly Clearwater couple.

The families of David and Mina Swan are dealing with the painful loss and not knowing who took their loved ones away from them. Mina’s daughter from another marriage, Noel Devine shared photos that remind her of brighter days that she spent with her mother.
[...]
Sunday marks one year since Noel’s mother, Mina Swan, 80, and her mother’s husband David Swan, 88, were killed in their Clearwater home on September 29, 2018. Noel discovered the horrific scene.
[...]
Clearwater detectives said they are undeterred that a year has passed.

“We’re going to get there. Things take time. Just because we haven’t solved it yet doesn’t mean it’s not going to go solved,” said Michael Walek, a detective with the Clearwater Police Department.

Devine said she isn’t letting go of hope that someone knows something, no matter how small, and that person will call to help police find the couple’s killer.

“I will never give up, and I know they won’t either,” she said of the investigation.
[...]

Police looking for answers on grim anniversary of Clearwater couple’s murder
Updated: Sep 28, 2019 / 07:19 AM EDT
CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – There are renewed pleas for tips in the Clearwater double murder of elderly victims, David and Mina Swan.
Both were shot to death a year ago.
[...]

1 year since David and Mina Swan were murdered
Sep 27, 2019
WFLA News Channel 8

Clearwater Police Department
Yesterday at 1:38 PM ·
Noel Devine, the daughter of Mina Swan, talked with some members of the media this afternoon as we approach the one-year anniversary of the murders of David and Mina Swan. The couple was found slain in their Clearwater home on Sept. 29, 2018. Homicide detectives continue pursuing leads in the case and are working with state and federal agencies to solve it. Anyone with information on the case should call 727-562-4141. The reward total for information leading to an arrest and conviction is $53,000 -- $50,000 from the family and $3,000 from Crime Stoppers of Pinellas County. If you know something, say something.

Yesterday at 1:38 PM ·
Noel Devine, the daughter of Mina Swan, talked with some members of the media this afternoon as we approach the one-year anniversary of the murders of David and Mina Swan. The couple was found slain in their Clearwater home on Sept. 29, 2018. Homicide detectives continue pursuing leads in the case and are working with state and federal agencies to solve it. Anyone with information on the case should call 727-562-4141. The reward total for information leading to an arrest and conviction is $53,000 -- $50,000 from the family and $3,000 from Crime Stoppers of Pinellas County. If you know something, say something.
Thank you so much for keeping the Swans' case updated for us, SeesSeas. I think of the Swans and their families, and continue to hope.

https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/default.aspx
IN RE: THE ESTATE OF DAVID S SWAN, JR

OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
09/25/2019 MOTION Doc # 54

TO ENFORCE COMPLIANCE WITH COURT ORDER
09/25/2019 EXHIBIT Doc # 55
A ORDER GRANTING PETITION FOR PRODUCTION OF ASSETS
09/25/2019 EXHIBIT Doc # 56
B CORRESPONDENCE
09/25/2019 EXHIBIT Doc # 57
C CORRESPONDENCE
08/20/2019 INVENTORY FILED Doc # 51
08/20/2019 NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIAL INFO WITHIN COURT FILE Doc # 52
08/20/2019 PROOF OF SERVICE Doc # 53
07/01/2019 PROOF OF SERVICE Doc # 49
07/01/2019 OBJECTION TO CLAIM Doc # 50

NOEL DEVINE
06/25/2019 ORDER EXTENDING TIME Doc # 47
FOR FILING INVENTORY 08-20-19
06/25/2019 CLAIM FILED Doc # 48
NOEL DEVINE - FEE PAID
06/20/2019 PETITION EXTENDING TIME TO FILE Doc # 45
INVENTORY
06/20/2019 PROPOSED ORDER Doc # 46
EXTENDING TIME FOR FILING INVENTORY
05/21/2019 ORDER Doc # 43
FOR PRODUCTION OF ASSETS
05/21/2019 ORDER Doc # 44
FOR PRODUCTION OF ASSETS
[...]
02/21/2019 PETITION Doc # 22

FOR PRODUCTION OF ASSETS
02/21/2019 EXHIBIT Doc # 23
A - CORRESPONDENCE
02/21/2019 DECLARATION Doc # 24
THAT PROCEEDING IS ADVERSE

I’m new here, heard about this sad case on the Dermonds thread. Someone mentioned the similarities with the cases: no break in, no motive, seemingly innocent, elderly victims.

I just started reading all the comments, so will comment later.

Question? I heard there was no break in. Were all the doors locked? Where were victims found?

TIA

Property Appraiser website shows no sale or ownership change:
Pinellas County Property Appraiser

Ownership
SWAN WOLF, MINA A EST

1033 Flushing Ave, Clearwater, FL 33764 - realtor.com®
Sold on September 6, 2019
Last Sold for $330,000
Back on Market!!! Buyer's financing fell through two days before closing!!

1033 Flushing Ave, CLEARWATER, FL 33764 - 4 beds/2 baths
1033 Flushing Ave
CLEARWATER, FL 33764
SOLD SEP 6, 2019
$330,000 - Sold Price

This is a realtor listing I found today:
1033 Flushing Ave CLEARWATER, FL 33764

Sale Pending
The seller has accepted an offer, and the property is now pending or under contract.

$329,900 Listed at Price
4 Beds
2 Baths
1,872 Sq. Ft. $176 / Sq. Ft.
Redfin Estimate: $327,533
On Redfin: 24 days

Another listing also shows 'pending sale':

Last edited:
Regarding the estate of Mina and the estate of David, the family civil case continues.
Deposition scheduled for DEC 19, 2019:

https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/default.aspx
Case No. 19-005206-CI
11/20/2019 NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION Doc # 18

So very sad that a couple has been murdered and there is a fight among heirs, his son on one side and her daughter and JW, the son has stage 4 cancer on the other. And as the old adage goes, the only winners are the lawyers.

Thanks for keeping the information up to date. It appears that his son is now wanting to depose her daughter ND as to perhaps get the information requested in the previous motion to compel, which she responded entirely saying that the information requested would be given at a later time.

As to the case itself, was David or Mina's net worth ever mentioned as it seems significant going for such a large amount (500k)? I mention this as someone upthread mentioned this may be similar to the Dermond case and potential motives.

Screenshots from https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/default.aspx
Case No. 19-005206-CI

Attachments

• ExhibitAMotionToCompellResponseByN.pdf
    126.5 KB · Views: 8
  • NoticeOfTakingDepoND.pdf
    67 KB · Views: 4
So very sad that a couple has been murdered and there is a fight among heirs, his son on one side and her daughter and JW, the son has stage 4 cancer on the other. And as the old adage goes, the only winners are the lawyers.

Thanks for keeping the information up to date. It appears that his son is now wanting to depose her daughter ND as to perhaps get the information requested in the previous motion to compel, which she responded entirely saying that the information requested would be given at a later time.

As to the case itself, was David or Mina's net worth ever mentioned as it seems significant going for such a large amount (500k)? I mention this as someone upthread mentioned this may be similar to the Dermond case and potential motives.

Screenshots from https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/default.aspx
Case No. 19-005206-CI
It wouldn't surprise me if the Swan's, jointly or individually, may have had sizeable assets. I only say that because of their ages and apparently successful careers, and it certainly appears that some efforts to separate their finances had been undertaken by them. I only surmise that from some of these court filings, and all else is JMOO.
It IS sad the settling of their estate doesn't seem to be going smoothly. I see it happen time and time again :(
I just want their murderer to be found!

It wouldn't surprise me if the Swan's, jointly or individually, may have had sizeable assets. I only say that because of their ages and apparently successful careers, and it certainly appears that some efforts to separate their finances had been undertaken by them. I only surmise that from some of these court filings, and all else is JMOO.
It IS sad the settling of their estate doesn't seem to be going smoothly. I see it happen time and time again :(
I just want their murderer to be found!

What surprises me, is the juxtaposition if they were wealthy, why they lived in Morningside in The Meadows. It is not a pricey neighborhood for Clearwater in my opinion. It is not where wealthy people live, at all. It is a middle class neighborhood, IMHO. ( Or perhaps lower upper middle class, depending on your definition... I'm sticking with strictly middle class.)

If they were retired, they had fixed funds to perhaps pay off the house when they purchased it. And then they had funds which they plan to live on through the rest of their lives and planning for perhaps eldercare at a later time. It just doesn't seem like the dermond's who I would view as "wealthy".

So that indeed does beg the question, why were they murdered. They didn't live in the rich Elite section of town where people would Rob them for valuables.

This, perhaps, is one of those cases where you trying to look for motive first and work from there. In addition to working from the inside ( those known to the couple) out, and outside back in ( those known to the couple)?

Thanks again @SeesSeas for keeping up-to-date with this case.

What struck me is the children of both of the parents aren't together in this as to the media either. Only her children are in front of the media, not even being a joint effort. Such a shame.

ETA, I'm going to swim upstream to see if they had ever put anything on Craigslist as I cannot recall. Was that investigated or put out in the media?

Or have (outta town) workers do work at their house within the previous year?

Or did they have a collection of guns which someone that did work at their house may have known about? I do know of a case which something like that happened in mid Florida where out of town workers came to help after a hurricane, and then had people from Alabama come and rob and kill the homeowner for the guns. But I did not read anything like that in the paper.

Last edited:
What surprises me, is the juxtaposition if they were wealthy, why they lived in Morningside in The Meadows. It is not a pricey neighborhood for Clearwater in my opinion. It is not where wealthy people live, at all. It is a middle class neighborhood, IMHO. ( Or perhaps lower upper middle class, depending on your definition... I'm sticking with strictly middle class.)

If they were retired, they had fixed funds to perhaps pay off the house when they purchased it. And then they had funds which they plan to live on through the rest of their lives and planning for perhaps eldercare at a later time. It just doesn't seem like the dermond's who I would view as "wealthy".

So that indeed does beg the question, why were they murdered. They didn't live in the rich Elite section of town where people would Rob them for valuables.

This, perhaps, is one of those cases where you trying to look for motive first and work from there. In addition to working from the inside ( those known to the couple) out, and outside back in ( those known to the couple)?

What struck me is the children of both of the parents aren't together in this as to the media either. Only her children are in front of the media, not even being a joint effort. Such a shame.
I agree that the neighborhood is middle-class. The home is where Mina lived with her first husband (Mina & Harold Wolf purchased it in 1976). After her first husband died, she married David and it may have seemed easy/natural to continue living there. Mina had lived there for decades and she was probably comfortable with neighbors and the location.

Questions continue in murder of elderly Clearwater couple
Mina Swan had lived in the house for 40 years, Anderson said, and David Swan moved in after her first husband died.

PD: "They went there to murder this nice couple"
Mina Swan lived in the home for 40 years. Neighbors say when she married David 20 years ago he moved into the home. [...]

Devine says her mom and step-dad enjoyed growing turnips and other greens in their backyard and handing the vegetables out to neighbors.

Property Appraiser website shows no sale or ownership change:

Ownership
SWAN WOLF, MINA A EST

Sold on September 6, 2019
Last Sold for $330,000

1033 Flushing Ave
CLEARWATER, FL 33764
SOLD SEP 6, 2019
$330,000 - Sold Price
The house DID sell, although the real estate listings still reflect this:
^^odd!

Property Appraiser website:
Sale 08/27/2019
Recorded 09/10/2019

Sale Date Book/Page Price Q/U V/I
27 Aug 2019 20687 / 1582 $330,000 U I

The house DID sell, although the real estate listings still reflect this:
^^odd!

Property Appraiser website:
Sale 08/27/2019
Recorded 09/10/2019

Sale Date Book/Page Price Q/U V/I
27 Aug 2019 20687 / 1582 $330,000 U I

Off hand, do you know who's esstate that would have gone into? Both of their Estates or just one of them? I would assume both because of the note as to home insurance. Which would make it more complicated for the civil suit that is going on as to which estate it goes into. I did a little bit of check swimming Upstream as to tax records, but I did not see such. The property appraiser site is not loading for me on my phone for some reason to search by address

Off hand, do you know who's esstate that would have gone into? Both of their Estates or just one of them? I would assume both because of the note as to home insurance. Which would make it more complicated for the civil suit that is going on as to which estate it goes into. I did a little bit of check swimming Upstream as to tax records, but I did not see such. The property appraiser site is not loading for me on my phone for some reason to search by address
The property records are confusing (to me!).
As of yesterday (11/22), the main Pinellas County Property Appraiser page shows the property "Ownership" as Mina's estate with her daughter's (ND) PO Box address:

Updated November 22, 2019
Ownership/Mailing Address
SWAN, MINA A EST
PO BOX 640
CRYSTAL BEACH FL 34681-0640
Site Address
1033 FLUSHING AVE
CLEARWATER

But there was a WARRANTY DEED processed 8/27/19 and recorded 9/10/19 that doesn't list the estate as the "Grantor". "Grantor" is 3 names of Mina's children.
So, I'm assuming it was for the estate. IIRC, at the time of death, the house was in Mina's name. I don't recall David's name being on the house property records. After all, it was her house with her first husband.

https://officialrecords.mypinellasclerk.org/Details/GetDocumentByBookPage/OR/20687/1582
Record Date:
9/10/2019
Book Type:
OR - Official Records
Book / Page:
20687/1582
Instrument #:
Grantor:
DEVINE Nxxx x
WOLF Jxxx x
WOLF Wxxxxxx x
Grantee:
ARRINGTON Dxxxxx
ARRINGTON Nxxxx
KINDER Cxxxxxx

https://officialrecords.mypinellasclerk.org/Details/GetDocumentByBookPage/OR/20687/1582
^^ xxxx = redacted by me

I’m new here, heard about this sad case on the Dermonds thread. Someone mentioned the similarities with the cases: no break in, no motive, seemingly innocent, elderly victims.

I just started reading all the comments, so will comment later.

Question? I heard there was no break in. Were all the doors locked? Where were victims found?

TIA
Married couple in their 80s found dead in Clearwater double homicide
This link posted in the beginning of the thread answers some of your questions. Sorry I didn't answer you before now, wildebeest!

I agree that the neighborhood is middle-class. The home is where Mina lived with her first husband (Mina & Harold Wolf purchased it in 1976). After her first husband died, she married David and it may have seemed easy/natural to continue living there. Mina had lived there for decades and she was probably comfortable with neighbors and the location.

Mina Swan had lived in the house for 40 years, Anderson said, and David Swan moved in after her first husband died.

Mina Swan lived in the home for 40 years. Neighbors say when she married David 20 years ago he moved into the home. [...]
Devine says her mom and step-dad enjoyed growing turnips and other greens in their backyard and handing the vegetables out to neighbors.
That's what I was thinking, too. It was home and comfortable, one-story, not too large and with long-time neighbors they liked.

That's what I was thinking, too. It was home and comfortable, one-story, not too large and with long-time neighbors they liked.

ETA, I'm going to swim upstream to see if they had ever put anything on Craigslist as I cannot recall. Was that investigated or put out in the media?

Or have (outta town) workers do work at their house within the previous year?

Or did they have a collection of guns which someone that did work at their house may have known about? I do know of a case which something like that happened in mid Florida where out of town workers came to help after a hurricane, and then had people from Alabama come and rob and kill the homeowner for the guns. But I did not read anything like that in the paper.
There certainly are similarities to the Dermond case, aren't there? It's pretty hard to tell who is really well-to-do or not. I know of quite a few older folk in my own general area who live in modest homes but easily could afford to "move up," so to speak. There are varied reasons, such as being frugal, preferring to spend their money on things such as fascinating travel ( as it seems the Swans enjoyed doing), other activities, family, etc.
I still think this murder probably has something to do with money, or something else the Swans had that the killer wanted. Problem with that is nothing was stolen, to the best of my recollection. Another motive could be revenge/anger over something- perhaps even something dating back to an older work situation. So puzzling!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back