FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a first responder I was able to get my first COVID shot back in December, 2nd shot in January.

Sadly though some of the first responders I know have decided not to be vaccinated, even though were eligible months ago.
I work in healthcare and everyone I know has been vaxxed. You hear about a person here or there who has declined for one reason or another but the vast majority have been stuck.

I work in healthcare and everyone I know has been vaxxed. You hear about a person here or there who has declined for one reason or another but the vast majority have been stuck.
That’s awesome!

County Police Department here: the number of vaccinated employees is approximately 1,400, or 60% of the entire department - total employees and not just sworn LE officers. I think the FD is hovering around 50% vaccinated.

This is scary too. With the Delta variance gaining such momentum in Florida.... 6 firefighters have tested positive.

At Least 6 Firefighters Test Positive For COVID At Surfside Condo Collapse Search Site

Sadly, people seem to have forgotten that we are still in the midst of a pandemic. My husband says "how did that happen?"-- I reminded him we are in the midst of a pandemic with a very transmissible variant and this fourth of July holiday is scaring the crap out of me. I am not surprised that the firefighters tested positive. I hope they will be okay.

I bet many have found their way out or at least down. The poor dog in the crate on the 10th floor is getting to me. Can't they get to him?

I’ve been worried sick about Daisy, the crated dog. I hope this isn’t against TOS but The Miami Coalition of Breed Specific Legislation stated they talked to the owner and she isn’t stuck in a crate. They believe she was in a kitchen that collapsed, but none of the animals in that home were indeed crated. Her sweet face has haunted me for a few days, but somehow this gave me a little peace knowing she likely isn’t suffering. At least I’m hoping not.

The vicarious trauma is strong with this one. My biggest fear in life is my pets being stuck in a disaster and not being able to save them.

Sadly, I think more coastal high-rise buildings will be found to have serious structural damage.

Does anyone think that an emergency moratorium could be imposed on the development and construction of coastal high rise buildings if emergency inspections uncover a high number of buildings having serious structural damage and thus requiring evacuations and closure of those buildings?

<modsnip> Has there been a structural evaluation of the remaining section? Why would they traumatize the survivors by demolishing the rest of their home with all their belongings and pets in there after they barely escaped with their lives, and most others did not? The same reason the collapsed section came down with people, pets, and property in it, I bet.

I think that the authorities are being disingenuous if they are just suddenly aware of a cat in the building. There have been reports of such for days now. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope she's not crated. She at least has a chance of getting out on her own if she's not crated. If she is, she could really hurt herself trying to escape.

Vicarious trauma yes, and they are re-traumatizing the survivors by killing their pets the same way the survivors almost died and their neighbors died. How sick and cruel? What a totally outlandish and ridiculous idea - to demolish the remaining section. Why do they want that building down at all costs???

I’ve been worried sick about Daisy, the crated dog. I hope this isn’t against TOS but The Miami Coalition of Breed Specific Legislation stated they talked to the owner and she isn’t stuck in a crate. They believe she was in a kitchen that collapsed, but none of the animals in that home were indeed crated. Her sweet face has haunted me for a few days, but somehow this gave me a little peace knowing she likely isn’t suffering. At least I’m hoping not.

The vicarious trauma is strong with this one. My biggest fear in life is my pets being stuck in a disaster and not being able to save them.

I live three streets from the ocean in a house. I would be terrified now if I lived in a condo on the beach. Most counties in Florida don't even have the recertification inspections. The salt near the ocean rusts everything. Before cars were painted differently years ago, I saw brand new cars that rusted through the metal in just six months. Imagine the rebar taking all that corrosion. And the sand? The sand never stops moving because of the tide.

Two of the major hospital systems where I live are now requiring vaccination. One of them made the decision to require vaccination a few weeks ago when only 60% of their employees voluntarily got their vaccines.

The hospital system I work for has not yet required the vaccine. Everyone who I work with has been vaccinated, but the vaccination rate of all employees of the hospital system is only around 70%.

My heart is breaking for all the pets caught up in this horror: I really can't think about it too much or I will be crying all day----

Omar Blanco was sifting through the vast mountain of rubble at the site of the collapsed condominium in Surfside, Fla., when he was approached by a stranger and offered something unexpected: a handwritten card on colorful construction paper.

“It stopped me in my tracks,” recalled Blanco, 49, a Miami-Dade Fire Rescue captain.

He paused and looked down at the note, written by a small child he had never met before. It simply said: “Thank you for what you’re doing.”

After a grueling week of physical, mental and emotional strain, Blanco said, the modest message moved him deeply.

“The innocence of children reminds us that the world is a beautiful place, no matter what tragedy we might be dealing with,” Blanco said. “Nothing is more comforting than a note from a child just to say thank you.”

So far, nearly 500 thank-you letters and notes of encouragement, crafted by children of all ages from near and far, have been hand-delivered to first responders at the scene of the tragedy, with hundreds more expected to pour in as the search for victims continues…

The structural collapse was worse than anything we’ve seen,” said Landau, 59, who is volunteering with ZAKA Search and Rescue, a nonprofit based in Israel that sent rescue workers to help in the Surfside collapse. “The only good that we saw from this is the community. Everybody came together. To see kids writing such lovely cards, that gives us the courage to continue.”

I will keep it with me and share it with my kids and grandkids,” he vowed. “They should see how the world is supposed to be. These small kids are our future heroes and leaders, and our future first responders.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/07/04/surfside-collapse-first-responders-cards/

Attachments

• 46C797F8-5C83-4363-AD48-422A27DA857E.jpeg
    46C797F8-5C83-4363-AD48-422A27DA857E.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 318D77A5-EDEF-44EA-AD59-1CB2DD21C5D3.jpeg
    318D77A5-EDEF-44EA-AD59-1CB2DD21C5D3.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1ED82429-17FF-484F-8B7E-025B28757424.jpeg
    1ED82429-17FF-484F-8B7E-025B28757424.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 15
..Florida Task Force #3 left the site yesterday and returned to home base in Tampa area after a week on site. I wonder if they will return later. This video shows how large the group is, and at the end are reunited with their loved ones.

ETA: The Youtube link isn't working to view within WS box, when you click on that it will open in another tab in YouTube. It's on TampaBay10 media channel and titled "Florida Task Force 3 returns to Tampa Bay after Surfside mission"

Last edited:
This whole scenario is surreal. No doubt, a movie script is already in the works for this.

I wonder if this will affect property values for condos on the beach? There are many, and not only condos, but also hotels. This is huge. I am not so sure about happily checking into our favorite hotel in Daytona, right on the beach, with similar construction, slab cement and rebar.

How sick and cruel? What a totally outlandish and ridiculous idea - to demolish the remaining section. Why do they want that building down at all costs???

My very elderly parents live in South Florida, in a condo. If God forbid this happened to their building, and they survived, I would physically restrain them if they wanted to return to a still-standing portion of the building. Yes they have 90 years of irreplaceable photos, valuables and all their belongings there, but I would not trust the integrity of that building. I wouldn't let them take that gamble. Of course it's very tempting to run up there for 10 minutes to grab some things, but if that turned out to be the 10 minutes or 10 seconds in which that portion suddenly collapsed, they would die horribly.

I, too, had hopes that in the first day or two or maybe three that there could be survivors in the rubble. After 10 days, even if anyone survived being crushed or otherwise injured, no one can be alive. No water, no food, oppressive heat and humidity, lack of air, bleeding out....it's not possible.

Why bring down the other portion that is still standing? If it falls, particularly if the upcoming hurricane hits Miami, that building could collapse on top of the rubble that is still burying the dead. The authorities want a controlled demolition that hopefully will topple the remaining portion in such a way that it will be easier to find the remains of those who perished.

I live in NY, in a 23- story building two blocks from the beach. Because of the corrosive effects of salt water and so on, we have had numerous projects done on the brickwork and on our terraces. We all grumbled about the cost and the inconvenience, but in hindsight I'm very relieved. The only time the building flooded completely was during SuperStorm Sandy in 2012, and I would gladly pay for an extensive assessment of the foundation here.

<modsnip: Referenced info was removed>It was a perfect storm of things going drastically wrong, and should serve as a wake-up call for the rest of the country where people reside in similar conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone think that an emergency moratorium could be imposed on the development and construction of coastal high rise buildings if emergency inspections uncover a high number of buildings having serious structural damage and thus requiring evacuations and closure of those buildings?
A moratorium on construction of coastal high-rises would be prudent, but if $$$ continues to trump safety and land preservation, it won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts1979