FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have found most of Paraguay's First Lady's sister's family (that's a mouth full).
I at first was surprised that so many of the missing were staying at the location while waiting for the COVID-19 vaccine. So sad.

As an HOA board member, part of your job is to make sure there are sufficient reserves to pay for any large scale capital improvements. Sometimes that's difficult to do when some residents complain about high levels of capital reserve funds. Some will demand a reduction in dues. It's difficult to make home/condo owners understand the need for keeping adequate levels in the reserve funds. I usually told people that having to pass a large special assessment will lower the value of their property.

As a board member (and an HOA member), it's also your job to make sure repairs and maintenance are done on a timely basis and that preventive work is done. The longer you wait to fix something, the more it's going to cost. It's all common sense, JMO, but a lot of homeowners don't see it that way. It's even more difficult with absentee homeowners.
One of my friends lives in an HOA neighborhood near me, and each homeowner recently had to pay an extra assessment to cover unexpected legal costs that couldn’t be paid out of the reserves.

It is a smaller neighborhood of only 20 homes, and the homes are all in the range of 800K to 2 million. Way more expensive than my neighborhood. Their HOA got sued when they fined a homeowner who refused to remove non-running junk cars, appliances, and trash from the front yard of their 1.5 million dollar home.

The homeowner sued the HOA claiming discrimination, and the suit ended up being decided in favor of the HOA. But the attorney fees were nearly $200K and because they couldn’t be paid out of the reserves it was divided among the residents as an emergency assessment.

I had never really paid much attention to the. annual statement from my HOA regarding capital reserves, etc. but after my friend’s experience I will!

I appreciate the hard work that the HOA board members contribute year after year.

@MiamiDadePD

We have identified four additional victims that sadly and unexpectedly lost their lives in the tragic Surfside building collapse. Please keep their families and loved ones in your prayers.

Attachments

• C4AED03D-C0A8-4528-8A1D-B71096A548F0.jpeg
    C4AED03D-C0A8-4528-8A1D-B71096A548F0.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 23
I have been watching a live feed of the collapse for days on a you tube account called Because Surfside. I will post a link below and alert the mods to see if they need to delete it or not. They are getting down to the garage area. Every once in a while it appears they will bring up a fender or other auto parts. All these autos have gas tanks. What a dangerous mess.

I have been watching a live feed of the collapse for days on a you tube account called Because Surfside. I will post a link below and alert the mods to see if they need to delete it or not. They are getting down to the garage area. Every once in a while it appears they will bring up a fender or other auto parts. All these autos have gas tanks. What a dangerous mess.

Oh yeah, that makes me wonder if the gas tanks were crushed and the gas leaked into the ground, thus the ground water? Eeeekkkk! I wonder what kind of remediation is possible in that situation, or, if like an old gas station, it can ever be used again due to the danger / contamination.

Oh yeah, that makes me wonder if the gas tanks were crushed and the gas leaked into the ground, thus the ground water? Eeeekkkk! I wonder what kind of remediation is possible in that situation, or, if like an old gas station, it can ever be used again due to the danger / contamination.

And how many vehicles are we talking about? 75 or more? That's a lot of gas fumes.

@doug_hanks

Per Miami-Dade Clerk Harvey Ruvin: County’s aging downtown Miami civil courthouse has been temporarily closed. Said city inspectors said upper floors needed to close. There have leaking, air-quality issues for years at county-owned building.
Closure of Miami-Dade’s civil courthouse follows emergency inspection in wake of Surfside collapse. Miami has jurisdiction over inspections but Miami-Dade maintains it. Jury trials being moved to other courthouses. Described as temporary until report says all floors safe.

Brought tears to my eyes!
binx-surfside-missing-cat-found-alive-wsvn.jpg

(Courtesy: Gonzalez family via WSVN)

''The Gonzalez family lived in unit 904 of the Champlain Towers South condominium with their black cat Binx, but their pet had not been seen since the night the building fell, WSVN reports.
Angela and Devin Gonzalez were seriously injured in the collapse, and Edgar Gonzalez is still missing.''

"I'm glad that this small miracle could bring some light into the lives of a hurting family today and provide a bright spot for our whole community in the midst of this terrible tragedy," she said."

Maria Gaspari, a friend of the Gonzalez family, told WSVN they had been holding out hope for any signs of survival.''

8B30E742-623E-4E7C-9F0A-37745838AC6D.jpeg Thank you so much for everything that has been posted from all of our members! I always come here to check on updates. I have a question and apologize if it’s been asked and I missed it. I was curious to know what the area is that I circled in red is on condo. I know the area to right is bedrooms that had been sheared off but wondering if the circled area was the common hallway or another part of apartments. Thank you!

thanks for posting this
I didn't realize they were working into all hours of the night
I do have a question though for anyone who can answer and that is, doesn't using those big machines risk damaging or destroying remains?

thanks for posting this
I didn't realize they were working into all hours of the night
I do have a question though for anyone who can answer and that is, doesn't using those big machines risk damaging or destroying remains?

I am guessing that at this point in time, that may not be a priority. And with the heat, probably using heavy equipment to move the concrete/marble/rebar and everything else, makes it safer.

I'm not sure but there has been more than several remains found per the tweets posted. I gasp thinking how that building collapsed and layers getting smashed together with people in between the large sections of concrete of pieces that fell. And also the unexpected visitor that nobody knew was there. I hope all may be identified and put to rest. May the families be held closely.

Searching for clues in the rubble at Surfside - CNN

None of the reporting so far appears to have reached the threshold to charge culpable negligence, said Dave Aronberg, the state attorney in nearby Palm Beach County.

"Culpable negligence requires some knowledge that the building's collapse was imminent and someone did nothing about it," Aronberg said. "A report that says there's a lot of structural damage and then the board didn't shut down the building right away or the building (official) didn't shut down the building right away -- that's not criminal."

Miami building collapse: Video shows cracks in Surfside condo a year ago | Daily Mail Online

Fiorella Terenzi, who had toured the complex in anticipation of buying a unit on the sixth floor, said what she saw in the garage ultimately turned her off buying in the building.
Several engineers reviewed Terenzi's video and determined there were no obvious red flags that could have pointed to the building collapsing some 12 months later, according to the Miami Herald.

Identifying The Dead From Surfside Condo Collapse Is Burdensome, Time-Consuming Task

The medical examiner has honored the wishes of some relatives not to perform autopsies, which are not mandatory unless there is a criminal investigation. They are forbidden in Jewish tradition on the grounds that the body must not be violated after death.

More on respecting the Jewish traditions in this case:
Keeping the faith: Jewish traditions of condo collapse victims honored

“So the very basic thing when it comes to these variables are the three basic things. The first thing is bury the body as soon as possible. The second thing is to bury the body in its entirety. And the third thing is to avoid autopsies whenever possible.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members