FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But it can be considered criminal for a seller to knowingly sell real estate with a potential hazard and not disclose this to buyers. I don't, maybe the buyers waived this. Real estate contracts are beyond my realm of expertise.

Added link, yes, this could very well be a problem for sellers if they did not disclose the information about the property.

Florida Disclosure Laws: What Sellers Have to Share About Their Home
Yes, I am certain buyers would have to have gotten the HOA documents about the issues. No way they didn't get them.

What should/can a municipality do when a building's columns are found to be deficient and unsafe? Is there a remediation protocol that can ultimately make the building safe?
Would a person even want to return to the building after a the HOA spends millions
shoring up the underground parking columns?
Geeesh Lahweez... once the drywall is up, who knows what is really behind it?
(Any word on CTN?)

Just my thought, let them have it! Give the displaced residents the money to let them get settled, wherever they choose to live. The survivors still need a roof over their heads (this I know). Nothing, absolutely nothing can compensate the loss of even one precious life...but what else can be done in a civilized society? The families of those who died.....their grief is inconsolable and will be for a long time.

Yuck. Something just doesn’t seem right about selling and building to me. I would be more comfortable with a municipal memorial park.

I am not the only one with an opinion, and I certainly do not have a priority opinion, having no relations to any of the victims of this tragedy. In addition, I am not a constituent of any elected official involved in decisions or appointing decision makers. I know that there are good reasons to take the money and help the survivors build back a residence.

I also know that some survivors wanted to build back and move back. I don’t think I would feel that way. But some do. And if the proposed buyer of this property plans to build a new condo tower, part of the deal should be that the survivors get first dibs at a price tied to their share of the purchase price of the land plus typical insurance payouts for their destroyed condo.

MOO about implementing the opinions of others.

Pedro "Pegy" Rosello, a former drug smuggler who was arrested in the mid-1990s, tells Corben he owned a unit on the fifth floor of the Champlain Tower. In episode two of the series, he begins to tell his story.

"When we were talking about it during the interview, it obviously seemed incidental. Obviously, it didn't become hyper-relevant until a very short time ago, and the documentary was just released Aug. 4."

Corben adds that it happens to be an "extraordinary" and "tragic" coincidence that Rosello's story took place in Champlain Towers.

"I was like, 'Holy crap, I think that's where that's where this story takes place,' " Corben says. "We had this incredible anecdote that was charming and romantic and funny and bizarre, but that it happens to take place in the sight of this horrific tragedy, which was not something that was on our radar when we were editing this until this summer."
'Cocaine Cowboys' features Surfside condo building that collapsed

Great video Attached to this story.) by forensic architect Frank Gonzales...how to check for building safety issues. (The problem IMO is: If the city's building inspector tells the board, the residents and the City Manager...."Everything is just A-OK with Champlain Towers South"... There were no safety reports to find or research anywhere. My point is....if the reports aren't made, digitized and recorded by the appropriate employees...no one would ever know.
Surfside condo collapse investigation's slow speed angers community

So I kind of don't understand all this and think some of it is just a big waste of money. Plenty of reputable engineers have already pinpointed the cause of the collapse on YouTube videos and such. Why do we need to test the soil and rock? It was most likely the condition of the building, not the soil it was built on.

I too believe at this point there is a consensus among a group of YouTube building integrity/engineers that have done this analysis. I’ve watched each of their channels’ videos in their entirety. It’s actually quite fascinating. Even the highest quality analysis from these sources is still made by reviewing old construction plans and updates, existing codes at the time, knowledge of structural engineering, witness video/accounts, etc. They only have so much to work with AND they have done an amazing job of synthesizing all the source information.

The investigative details that these YouTube folks are not privy to are samples taken from concrete slabs/columns/floors/deep foundation piles (not visible even now) rebar, soil, etc. This type of sampling is done by the NIST and can scientifically illustrate/confirm/prove the conditions the larger group of structural engineers currently suspect. PH levels, salinity, concrete strength, etc.

Last edited:
Catastrophic failures like this are usually a confluence of several things, not just one failure afaict. You'd want to know for sure if the location contributed to the collapse before you let anyone else build there (or nearby, potentially), rather than just the kind of informed guesses that someone on Youtube can make. This all seems like a pretty standard post-disaster investigation.

Young mother, Raquel Oliviera (rented a unit in CTS) tells judge she lost her husband and 5 year old child in the building collapse. (gut wrenching)
"But lawsuits could produce damages from those ultimately found liable for their role in the disaster, including -- the judge did not have to remind Surfside today -- potentially the Town of Surfside itself."
Woman Lost Family in Surfside Condo Collapse, Gives Victims a Voice in Lawsuit Hearing
ps towards the end of the article, Judge H appears to not be happy with Surfside officials.
Woman Lost Family in Surfside Condo Collapse, Gives Victims a Voice in Lawsuit Hearing

Last edited:
At 1:20....Judge H
"I need the town's complete cooperation and I expect it," he said forcefully at one point.

The problem: an unidentified entity is prepared to make an opening bid of $120 million for the land, but a town-wide zoning proposal in the works for 18 months would reduce the potential size of redevelopment there from 205 units to 139 units. There were 136 units in Champlain Towers South, which was built in 1981.

Hanzman was clearly miffed.
(I am thinking the $120Million bid will be only if they can build the proposed 205 units. Is it possible to put 60+ more units on that lot? HMMM...guess it would be possible if the property reverted to the county's control. Any thoughts on that possibility?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member