FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They ranged in age from 1 to 92, spoke a cacophony of languages and hailed from everywhere. They were émigrés fleeing repressive regimes, retirees seeking repose and newlyweds embarking on new lives. They had found their place in the sun, Surfside’s Champlain Towers South. And then, the unthinkable. Here are the 98 people lost in the collapse on June 24, 2021.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/lo...ami-beach/article253088463.html#storylink=cpy

I've posted a video or two (with Admin approval) earlier up this thread, and this video warrants posting. This is from one of the Florida architectural engineers (I've confirmed him as licensed in the field in Florida) who has been following this topic since the building collapsed. In this video from 9/17, Josh Porter provides a concise, well-documented analysis of what was going on in South Florida's "Miami Vice" era of the late 1970s-mid-1980s building construction boom in general, and with the original developer, contractor, and engineer of the building specifically. It's very compelling and educational.

"Crime, Corruption, and Incompetence - The History of Champlain Towers South"

I've posted a video or two (with Admin approval) earlier up this thread, and this video warrants posting. This is from one of the Florida architectural engineers (I've confirmed him as licensed in the field in Florida) who has been following this topic since the building collapsed. In this video from 9/17, Josh Porter provides a concise, well-documented analysis of what was going on in South Florida's "Miami Vice" era of the late 1970s-mid-1980s building construction boom in general, and with the original developer, contractor, and engineer of the building specifically. It's very compelling and educational.

My apologies, I thought my overview stated (but it doesn't), that this is another video from the *same* Florida engineer whose earlier video on the collapse was approved for posting. It's implied in my summary on the post above, but I mean to be explicit about that.

Josh is a very gifted communicator. I've watched all of his videos that address this collapse, and feel like I've learned quite a bit about the topics he's covered. I think I've gained just enough knowledge to be "dangerous" LOL

My apologies, I thought my overview stated (but it doesn't), that this is another video from the *same* Florida engineer whose earlier video on the collapse was approved for posting. It's implied in my summary on the post above, but I mean to be explicit about that.

That is interesting, and reminds me of the fairly recent collapse of the pedestrian bridge in Miami.
Florida International University pedestrian bridge collapse - Wikipedia

Really wondering about the safety of ALL structures in the Miami area.

CBS4 Miami will broadcast a 1-hour original this Wednesday 10/20 at 7 PM ET providing insight into the daily briefing room and the updates provided there to the families after the Champlain Towers collapse. Even the preview they have on their Twitter post is emotional to watch: https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/1450140261091352578?s=20

another preview: Bonded By Tragedy: 30 Days In Surfside

Update: CBSMiami.com (https://miami.cbslocal.com/) has confirmed the show will be streamed on their website tonight at 7 PM ET and available there afterward.

In 4 months, NIST should be able to create a detailed structural computer model of the building, provided there's access to all of the rubble samples they took. The concrete sampling may take a while. There would be numerous samples needed for the garage and other areas, but I believe NIST took those samples. The readings of the seismograph from the construction next door would be critical also. Some information about those readings has emerged very recently, so that might be a cause of delay... Probably a court order was needed to obtain them. NIST engineers will have to model the effects of garage roof slab deterioration at various time intervals, including loss of strength at different locations, and the effects of the pile driving vibrations on structural elements of diminished capacity. So, it is a lot of work...

I think the answers that will emerge will show multiple causes, converging at the same time. Under-designed columns with reinforcing crowded in and omitted in some locations, the lack of adequate concrete cover (concrete thickness over reinforcing bars), water intrusion into the garage roof slab at the pool deck and the planters, lack of timely, effective repairs, and the vibrations from the construction project - I think those will be major contributing factors.

The Fire Alarm would have been triggered by the flow of water in the fire suppression system caused by the deck collapse. It is visible in the video thru the drive in entrance. Apparently the audible alarms were turned off for some reason. There would have been visible alarm flashers too, usually in the halls but also in apartments. There has been no mention of them. Another missed opportunity to save some lives. Maybe the final one.

Summer lawsuit trial seen in deadly Florida condo collapse

A summer trial is likely for lawsuits seeking millions of dollars in damages from the collapse of a Florida beachfront condominium that killed 98 people, a judge said Wednesday.

The time frame for a trial to begin would be July or August, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman said at a hearing.

Florida condos should have frequent inspections, panel says | wtsp.com
Florida condos should have more frequent inspections, Grand Jury says
The panel recommended building recertification inspections by an engineer every 10 years instead of the 40-year recertification.
December 15, 2021
[...]
In its Wednesday report on the Surfside collapse, the Miami-Dade County Grand Jury called on state and local officials to require condominium towers to have an initial recertification inspection by an engineer between 10 and 15 years after their construction and every 10 years thereafter.

Champlain Towers South collapsed on Jun. 24 as its 40-year recertification was due. Only Miami-Dade and neighboring Broward County require recertification; other Florida counties do not.

Additional recommendations made in the 43-page report:
[...]

A Surfside condo collapse grand jury report calls for immediate reforms
A Surfside condo collapse grand jury report calls for immediate reforms
December 15, 2021
A Miami-Dade County grand jury on Wednesday released a series of recommendations for condo safety throughout Florida after a deep examination of the deadly collapse in Surfside earlier this year.

The report comes nearly six months after the 12-story Champlain Towers South crumbled, killing 98 people. While the 43-page document avoids conclusions about what caused this specific disaster, it states the urgent need for sweeping reforms to prevent future tragedies.
[...]

REPORT:
https://miamisao.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/GRAND-JURY_202112151434-1.pdf

New video from Josh Porter, Building Integrity with explanation of lawsuit claiming adjacent condo building damaged wall in 2019 construction near the walkway. Very interesting.... Hmmmm, this may be the first domino of the collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member